Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: General Manga Project Discussion

I feel like every time I start something I get a few pages in and then start thinking to myself, "This looks like crap," "I can do better than this," "Nobody will want to read this garbage," "This begining won't work," etc. . . I'm really not nice to myself when it comes to judging my own work.
    But I've actually got my whole story planned out and started which is a big deal for me. Now if only I can keep my inner critc/bully quiet.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    @Ram: I stand by the rule of fashion must have function. So when you design most kinds of accessories start with the basics of what it is. Is it a watch? Hair clip? Purse/bag/backpack? Cellphone? Headphones? Bluetooth ear piece? If its any of these then start there then build upon it and embellish it to make something that matches the characters personality or style. It's fantasy so you could even make some things that aren't real or possible yet to give to your char.

So once you pick you start with the basic shape and size then tweak it from there. You could design a new style of phone shaped like a cartoony bunny that slides open to use so that it looks like its smiling and is talking into your ear. A hair clip could become a cute butterfly clip. With the ball in the hair I'd say add two to each side so it looks like bolitas (I forget what the English word is. How weird that's a first for me lol) http://safe-img02.olx.com.mx/ui/5/28...1272372892.jpg so it looks like its actually holding the hair because idk how that ball is holding her hair by itself like that.
    Thanks for the advice Psy! Specially with the bolitas part.. I don't know how long it would took me to figure that out without you telling me!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKasey View Post
    I feel like every time I start something I get a few pages in and then start thinking to myself, "This looks like crap," "I can do better than this," "Nobody will want to read this garbage," "This begining won't work," etc. . . I'm really not nice to myself when it comes to judging my own work.
    But I've actually got my whole story planned out and started which is a big deal for me. Now if only I can keep my inner critc/bully quiet.
    As I said, we should have no interested, at the moment, in making a good story or making pretty draws. We need to put realistic goals in short comics, so we can practice technique, concept, and methodology.

When you think "man, this look like crap" or "the story have no sense at all", don't throw it away, just keep going, but ask yourself: what do you want to achieve with the story, your goal. Because I believe, that's the point for us, noobs.

Small steps, but with clear goals, that's my proposal to everyone in here (including myself).

PD: Also if you guys want to have some ideas of what to practice, look here http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/...d-In-Media-Res. We have discussed some technical and conceptual points on comic making, so go and pick a subject as a goal (and it would be even better if you join to the discussions there).

101 Dalmations Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    "If i wanna do it, i gotta do it right and perfect"

^this thought's been preventing me from making manga since i started drawing...
    I sooo agree with you . .

so. .wha kind of manga do ya wanna do?

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I think the best thing to do is to make a short manga (much like Clock said) that acts as a one shot of the eventual manga you'd like to make. It doesn't need to be perfect, its just for practice. And the fact that it's an actual comic and not just random illustrations will help all the more.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Its not the scripting or the paneling (thanks to seef for helping me), its the BG textures. And thats beating around the bush. My biggest problem is coming up with my own style of backgrounds that fits the characters. Like, how kishimoto masashi colors his skies black. (which i copied for a while), and mashima hiro puts small curved lines on the edges of rounded objects to make them look 3-D.

The whole reason chapter 2 of my own comic is taking as long as it is, is because i cant figure out my own style of tree-bark. I need one that fits the cross hatched freehand pattern i use for the leaves/bushes. And i dont want to depend on stock textures from deviantART. I want my own unique way of doing it. Something about just drawing textures by hand instead of opening a pre-made texture and Ctrl+A selecting, then Ctrl+X cutting, then pasting and multiplying, then inverse selecting the panels i don't want it to be on, then touch up erasing seems easier to me...

I'm thinking of going back to my S8 project, one that my good buddy Rei reminded me of. I haven't really created any characters, or anything, but I have an idea for a plot and some little stories that could easily be interwoven into the story for some nice story arcs. Given a few days, I could write a synopsis, write up some plot lines, just some things that could serve as a foundation for my little project.

Of course, if Rei or Kasey, or any of you fine people have insights that could help my manga bloom to fruition, I would be both obliged, and very appreciative.
    Last edited by Mr_Liebe; 02-22-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    I just redesigned Sophie, If you know her I just registered her in Saimoe...

I've designed her 2 to 4 times I think and keep on making her wear accessory and erasing it if it doesn't fit her.

And in the end I just put a shiny ball on her head OTL..... Just when the heck am I going to develop a fashion designing sense!?

Edti: Also I'm still not good with Shadowing stuffs so I used illuststudio model to do the Job...

I still don't trust this 3d models for anatomy and poses but they seem to work good if your referencing shadows.. XD

Also this is my previous character design on sophie
    SPOILER! :
    hello sir where did you get the 3d anatomy and can u explain what illust studio is?

cuz im planning to make a manga this week and im still not good at shadowing and anatomy

thank you in advance sir

Um how old is Sophie supposed to be

Anyways someone should make a manga style comic where pedophilia is NOT glorfied

I have an idea for a one shot. It's about a boy who sees an angel, bathing in a stream, while out walking in the woods. Figured it'd be nice to have something to work on, and improve my skills with, although once I'm good enough I might redo this and take it to a publishing house, I don't know. Anyone want to help?