Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The personality makes the character.....right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzaharwood View Post
    All you guys and you shounen characters... Blegh
    Hope that wasn't aimed at me, lol... Alita is super-gorey Seinen and Nadesico is basically a harem anime. >_>

Honestly, through, super-cute bishe characters have become a major turn-off for me lately just because it very rarely fits the personality or theme of the series. Soul Eater, Black Lagoon, Deadman Wonderland... I've seen them and I really don't know how I can be the only person who finds them a bit... Well, lame, to be honest. There are superior adorabominations cropping up all over the net which hit the creepy/cute qoute far better... Probally an unpopular opinion, but yeah. >_>
    Last edited by Regantor; 01-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor
    Honestly, through, super-cute bishe characters have become a major turn-off for me lately just because it very rarely fits the personality or theme of the series...., Black Lagoon,...
    are you sure what you saw was black lagoon? cuz i just can't think of it as something that has "super-cute bishies" and though the theme of the whole thing might not be really interesting, but the characters at least fit in it...
    Last edited by BozeSG; 01-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.

How about these two?... Yeah, I've seen Black Lagoon.

Not saying that those are the worse series ever or anything, anyway, far from it.

I'm just saying that I don't think they hit the balance right alot of the time, and you end up with these 80% cute, 20% evil characters who are supposed to be super, super horrible abominable badasses, and just don't cut it. Elfen Lied had more sadistic characters than most of those as the protagonists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    It's funny because you're wrong.
    It's funny 'cause you don't get it's a joke.

EDIT: Which character are reffering to in dw anyway?
    Last edited by Outcast; 01-22-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    How about these two?... Yeah, I've seen Black Lagoon.

Not saying that those are the worse series ever or anything, anyway, far from it.

I'm just saying that I don't think they hit the balance right alot of the time, and you end up with these 80% cute, 20% evil characters who are supposed to be super, super horrible abominable badasses, and just don't cut it. Elfen Lied had more sadistic characters than most of those as the protagonists.
    not hitting the balance is the whole point of these characters IMO, they're not exactly supposed to be the worse beings on the planet. that's how you can make stories feel a bit new rather than seeing the cliched 100% villain or paladin that we see all the time. also it makes people think about the different gray parts too, and being cute (like the twins in black lagoon) is supposed to represent a scale of gray of it's own.

just imagine it if they were two big badass dudes or just two completely cute innocent kids who are scared of blood shed, or any other ratio of cute:badass couples. will they still fit in with the story and back ground?

sorry if im a bit hard to understand.

Erm, I think you've missunderstood me a fair deal. That's exactly the oppisate way I was talking about, infact...

An exactly 50% cute 50% creepy character is what makes the whole mechanic work, not to mention a relatable personality... I hate flat heroes or villians as much as the next guy. Infact, I hate the whole good-vs-evil concept.

Please don't get offended just because I'm saying that I think those series are lame, I just find it impossible to find characters that cutesy either badass or intimidating. Even the comedy series "So Long Mister Dispair" has the sence to give the characters the right asthetic when they are doing something nasty... If it's supposed to be an action series, and they get the mechanic wrong, you get a whole load of "Wow, no." moments instead of the crowning moments of awesome they were aiming for... >_>

But yeah, I digress. Everyone's milage probally varies on this.
    Last edited by Regantor; 01-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.

oh, i see. sorry for misunderstanding you're completely right about that....

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is all about the interplay between creepiness and cuteness. I'm fairly sure that it's at the heart of the show's satirising of Japanese culture; the superficial cuteness belying apathy and mental illness. More images of why that show is CreepyCuteSatire and fantastic:

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    It's funny 'cause you don't get it's a joke.
    It's funny because you don't either.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

ITS NOT FUNNY