Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The personality makes the character.....right?

I think kids like their character "badass" because they are kids, they want someone rebellious, arrogant or careless, because its what they want to be, even if the character is just cartoonish or plain.

It's quiet funny because when you read about character development most people will tell you that a circular character (someone who change) is going to be the most human and the most loved. While you see that the most loved characters are just plain, they never evolve and in worst cases are just cartoonish.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I think kids like their character "badass" because they are kids, they want someone rebellious, arrogant or careless, because its what they want to be, even if the character is just cartoonish or plain.

It's quiet funny because when you read about character development most people will tell you that a circular character (someone who change) is going to be the most human and the most loved. While you see that the most loved characters are just plain, they never evolve and in worst cases are just cartoonish.
    Well maybe there's a difference between beloved and favorite characters? I mean, dynamic characters are much easier to relate to and
    "love," but when you look back at a series and pinpoint a favorite character, it's going to be the one that you most enjoyed watching or reading about. That's not often going to be the humanistic, emotionally conflicted character; it's going to be the awesome, totally cool, idealistic character.

Yeah, its going to be the awesome and cool. Look at the X-men cartoon serie. Look at the X-men in general (wolverine) or look Dark Knight of Nolan, everyone love the Joker of Nolan, while the entire movie is not about him but rather about Batman.

People just love something that is "cool" or "badass".

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Yeah, its going to be the awesome and cool. Look at the X-men cartoon serie. Look at the X-men in general (wolverine) or look Dark Knight of Nolan, everyone love the Joker of Nolan, while the entire movie is not about him but rather about Batman.

People just love something that is "cool" or "badass".
    Maybe it has something to do with power and control too? Badasses usually either have or put on a ruse of power that allows them to take control of a situation, whether it's physical might or an overwhelming/intimidating demeanor. The insensitive types appear to have complete control over their emotions and feelings, something most people struggle with. Why do we consider people "awesome" and "cool?" They have mighty power, or they have some sort of control over their life and success.

It can be power related.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    You're the only guy I know that likes kai
    I'd hate him as a person but I love him as character.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    I'd hate him as a person but I love him as character.
    Yeah UC is probably the only show where I can take child protagonists seriously because they're all so obnoxious. A lot like real children.

"I'll show him, I'll take gundam away, possibly indirectly causing the deaths of 30+ civilians and crew including my best friend"

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Yeah UC is probably the only show where I can take child protagonists seriously because they're all so obnoxious. A lot like real children.
    Also the UC stuff seems to be aware, at least some of the time, that child soldiering is a fucking abominable practice. I mean I haven't watched the original Gundam since like 2004, but I seem to recall it having at least a little self-awareness to the fact that children + war = horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Unrepentant, intelligent individualists. Whether they're portrayed as good, evil, or in between.

Robert Putney Drake unyuuu~~~~

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Also the UC stuff seems to be aware, at least some of the time, that child soldiering is a fucking abominable practice. I mean I haven't watched the original Gundam since like 2004, but I seem to recall it having at least a little self-awareness to the fact that children + war = horrible idea.
    I'm going to make a animu of baby soldiers.