Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Art you hate or can't pass

I'm pretty cool with most forms of art except the ones that feed on shock quality. Namely, for example, pieces that are excessively disturbing but may or may not be well made.

It's like how Lady Gaga makes her music. No, just... no.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Toast I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying. I have no issues with thinking about art. I have issues with the glorification of art based on things that might or might not actually be there. As a previous example, I said I might think Pollock is a genius for splattering purple paint in certain places. But how do I know that's even intentional? How do I know he didn't just spill some as he was walking by the canvas? That's just it, I DON'T. So it would just be me gassing up Pollock for something that he might not have even meant to do. That's why I think it's friggin hipster for kids to sit in front of a black square and talk about how it has "profound meaning" when the meaning is not expressed through the piece, nor are we made aware of the artist's intentions. Ultimately, all they're doing is talking up their own opinions.

This is what I was trying to say about the artist's abbility to depict his inspiration being the important part... Even if it's just a strange formation of shapes; ideas, scale, emmotion can still be reprosented depending on the individual's perticular skills.

Let's take this classic Frantisek Kupka painting for example.

It doesn't matter if you pick up on the metropolitian themes of this or not. What matters is his skill of depiction. It's not a bunch of guys paid to run around the halls of the manchester museum (Yeah, that really happened.), it's not paint simply thrown at a canvas, it's not an overly simplified peice blatantly asking you to create your own version of the masterpeice inside your brain... In my humble opinion, that's the precise differance between "Art" and "Not Art."

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Exactly. All art should be self-meritorious to some degree. An artist should be able to instill a minimum amount of credibility in his work that is evident to all viewers, not just some. If all art was valued based solely on the conjurations of its viewers, then literally anything could be considered art, thus defeating the purpose of the craft. We'd have to change the name of the Smithsonians to the Smithsonian Museum of Anything and Everything You Might Personally Think Looks Remotely Profound.

I left a huge pile of art in the bathroom this morning

I can see a lot of guys in this site hates my style of art....
    I do love lolis but I don't really like big breast loli or chibi macho or anything of the sort.

Still the style I'm trying to achieve is like a hot sexy body with a baby face moe character like(in girls)
    -I'm talking about the first posts not the modern art topics...

Edit: I also like cat girls but haven't drawn one and I'm not really planning to...
    But only cat girls and nothing else
    Last edited by ram; 01-21-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Last edited by Matt; 01-21-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    It's always bothered me when people say they hate anthropomorphism, but they like mythology, Winnie the Pooh, or even Beauty and the Beast. Heck, even the Brave Little Toaster is anthro.

I really hate generic manga styles tbh.

Like the type you look at thats okay, but nothing close to a "Wow".

ITS GOT TO BE UNIQUE
    NONE OF THAT HUGE EYES + WEIRD HAIR COLOR CRAP

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    It's always bothered me when people say they hate anthropomorphism, but they like mythology, Winnie the Pooh, or even Beauty and the Beast. Heck, even the Brave Little Toaster is anthro.
    I think its a mater of style, rather than the subject. I don't think people hate anthropomorphism but they have a image in their heads in how those look like, so they are obviously going to say they hate it.

Again, the same with abstract art.