Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taking Toron Aleo

Zanx-iie had managed to lose both Louie and Tare in the forest and she had started her trek towards the mountain. Her shoulder burned and she fought back tears. It felt like a great betrayal, a breech of trust. No matter his reasoning she doubted she would ever forgive her father for what he did. If she made it home, she doubted she would, she would never talk to him again. She sat down and started to cry, this was her life now, Tao Mountain scared her like nothing else could. Thinking about it made her stomach clench and her muscles to shut down and refuse to work.

She ran her hand through her hair and winced at the tangles, she forced her frozen muscles to move and she picked her pack up once again and started walking. She tried to keep her mind clear of any thoughts or feelings. She just walked mindlessly in the direction of the mountain. It was after close to an hour of walking that she reached the Saturan River. A fast moving river that flowed from the ice covered mountain tops. If she followed the river instead of crossing it, she would reach the base of Sua Mountain, sister mountain to Tao and Zan. All three were dangerous, the biting winds and the random hotspots that created daily avalanches made the conditions there nearly unlivable.

Zanx-iie changed her direction and followed the river. The rushing of the river and the sound it made caused her to shudder. It was reminiscent of the avalanches of the mountain and she shook her head to clear away the thought. The river would go for another seventeen miles before turning north and another thirty before reaching the base of the mountain. It was a long trip to the base of Sua mountain and an even longer climb to reach Tao.

Ceril sighed, "I will do as you ask General...but don't expect to sit idly by. I will continue my gathering of information, my work is not finished. More lives can be saved." The passion he held for only this subject bubbled up in him and his eyes became fierce. "You wont have to worry, if captured, I'd sooner bite off my own tongue and drown in my blood."

He held firm, watching General Tal obviously vexed, he could only guess he had enough of the chess pieces rebelliously moving where they may. He glance back in the direction Zanx-iie had headed "And sir, if I may...send Zanx-iie elsewhere...This entire catastrophe was my doing, she was merely reacting to my inability to remain silent, and if given the chance I'd like to formally apologize."

Barius shook his head.

"This is not your fault, Ceril. Zanx-iie has issues that needed to be adressed but I ignored them. I toldyself she was fine when she was far from it. She does not take orders well nor does she respond well to the slightest form of entrapment. I figured that out after I tried to arrange a marriage between her and a Tarian soldier. I thought he would protect her but I forgot she was capable of that herself. A ring, a uniform or a slave mark. They are all the same in her eyes." He rubbed his forehead with a large sigh. "Follow her if you wish, Ceril. I have a group of Tarians waiting across Saturan River to inform her of her real orders. If you can catch her before that, please explain my reasoning to her. I do not wish for her to hate me. I was given my orders and I had to follow them but I am not going to lie. I was angry at Zanx-iie for her disregard for sense and safety. She could have died today because she disobeyed an order. I regret speaking through my anger. Let her know that."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Zanx-iie looked at the rushing water beside her. She had come to Ilent Falls. She had forgotten about it. Now she was staring at a fifty foot sheer wall of slippery rock and moss. She looked once more before digging through her pack. She knew she had to take everything important or risk losing it all. Zanx-iie took the radio out of the pack and attatched it to her makeshift belt. She pulled out her bow and arrows and strapped the quiver to her back before putting her bow in it as well. She noticed an envelope with her name on it. It was her baba's writing and Zanx-iie snarled before throwing it imto the river. If he hadn't said it to her face she wouldn't read it. A small dagger, a cloak, and a length of rope was all that was left in the pack.

She stood and waved her hand. The mist solidified into hand holds for her and she started climbing. Her shoulder shot pain through her body when she used it to pull herself up. Handholds she could create. A platform to bring her up to the top was beyond her abilities. So despite the pain she continued her climb, refusing to look down or up.
    Last edited by Mistrus; 03-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Xanth had been able to cross into enemy territory by about 15 miles. The boundary of no return. If he could just push them back on his own, he might be able to allow the base enough time to get everything moved without being seen. He finally came across the refueling station that the Galian military had been using to move deeper into Tarian controlled areas. Laying prone, he observed the facility from a safe distance. There was enough time between the guards on watch to infiltrate, but not enough space to hide and be hidden.

Xanth pulled his rifle along the cliff to the bring it up to his shoulder to aim down the scope. There really wasn't much wind, but the humidity was the issue. He could fire off a couple rounds to take down most of the guards, but the remaining guards would be able to signal for help. 'Ah, screw it. No point in being the careful perfectionist on this job' He thought to himself as he squeezed off seven round in quick succession. The sound of the fire wouldn't reach them until another twenty-seven seconds. He quickly scanned for the others, but the other guards must've seen the dead bodies by now.

What Xanth hadn't seen is that Maul had taken the other ones out silently and ripped their throats out. He watched as the others fell from the rounds having a large impact on them. Knocking most off their feet and sending a limb or two flying from the force of impact.

By the time Xanth got to the facility, it was nearing night which is when most of the activity of the Galian Air Forces would take place. He quickly set up the High Explosive Det. Packs and ran off into the forest as far away from the facility as he could because the explosive force would incinerate anything with two miles with the amount of fuel that that facility had. When he arrived at the spot where he shot the guards, approximately four and half miles away, he pulled out the detenator and activated it. Then he waited.
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

Zanx-iie was stuck half-way up. Her shoulder burned with pain and she shook from the effort of holding herself to the cliff. She forced herself to take another reach upwards. Sweat trickled between her shoulder blades and she gasped as she tried to pull herself up. It felt like she was carrying the entire world with her as she pulled herself up. This was getting her nowhere fast. She was tempted to throw herself sideways into the falls. It would be easier to do with her Natul abilities than it would to climb the rest of the way up the cliff. She was exhausted and she wanted to give up, knowing her destination was Tao Mountain. So she remained at an impasse, not able to go up, not willing to go down, lest risk her father's anger once again. She clung to the cliff face and closed her eyes.

There was a time when she had done this with a carefree spirit and a happy smile. It was an adventure that turned into a nightmare that she couldn't stop. Jessee, Anglo, Geen, Catti, Ronaldo, Del, Dragil, Sanguine, Terii, Harts, Ealli, Tonndi, Sekrett, and herself. They all loved adventure and had jumped up at the chance to explore Tao Mountain. They had been naive and foolish and Dragil was the first to pay the price. They had scaled the side of Tao Mountain with excited faces when Dragil had lost his grip and plummeted fifty feet to the rocky ground below. Zanx-iie had been the first to reach him. Tears streaming from her eyes she rocked him back and forth as he died. His memory haunted her to this day, they all did. Even though Tonndi, Sekrett, Del, Catti, Ealli, and herself made it back. She found her heart aching from the loss of the others. Anglo, Jessee, Geen, Sanguine, Terii, Ronaldo, and Harts. Their location unknown and Zanx-iie wished she could have found them, wished she could have done more to keep them with the group. Snow was nothing but water and her powers couldn't hold back the rushing monster and they got swallowed up in its gaping mouth.
    Last edited by Mistrus; 03-19-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Saulus and Kia waited at the general's tent for when he got back. Saulus looked over sensitive military reports to memorize them so he could burn them. Kia on the other hand was looking at Saulus like he was the Devil, annoyed and irritated with how he could just take things in stride and act like it didn't bother him.

"Are you bothered by the way General T'swal was acting?" she asked Saulus.

"No. And if you got in his way, he'd just take you along and force you into suicidal instances. And if you're wondering how I know, I experienced it. I actually miss the adrenaline rush from it. Not that I'm a battle lusting type of guy, but it just...I can't really explain the feeling." He replied.

"Wow, I didn't take you the type to have seen any form of combat. You seem...weak." She retorted back.

Saulus looked up from the paperwork and had a look of anger on his face, "And what would you know of combat? You're just an analyst from the 3rd battalion. And from what I've heard, you guys always sit at the back watching everything happen and act like you were a part of it."

Kia looked away and went, "Hmph..."

Saulus shook his head and got back to work.

Zanx-iie forced herself up the cliff, inch by inch. Telling herself she was doing it for them, those they had lost on the last mission. She didn't care about the fort, she wanted to find them, to give herself closure and to bring them back as she hadn't been able to before. She shoulder burned fiercely but she managed to reach the top of the cliff and with a few gasping breaths and a few false starts, she managed to pull herself on to it. She lay on her back, her heart pounding in her ears and her breaths coming in gasps. Her arms trembled and felt like they were boneless.

Slowly she could hear the sound of the waterfall once again as her heart slowed its rapid pounding.She didn't want to get up but she knew she had to. She had to find out what happened to the others and she had to find out how far she was willing to go to face her demons.
    Last edited by Mistrus; 03-19-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Xanth waited nearly three hours before any activity showed at the base. He apparently burned nearly two miles of brush and wildlife, except any Hents of course. After he had identified that activity would be here for awhile, he backed away and began to make his trek back to the base. Judging by how fast he would move, it would take him about three more hours to get back.

Meanwhile....

Saulus ate some food while looking over the last few documents. Kia was still being quiet. This kind of upset Saulus since she was always talkative or loud mouthed. Finally he asked, "Are you alright? You've been awfully quiet."

"Mm-hm..." she replied in such a way that made it seem reluctant.

"You know, for someone who loves to brag about crap that no one cares about. I haven't heard you even move in last few hours. Seriously, what is wrong." He added some sense of caring in his voice and he looked up at her with some worry on his face.

Kai turned to look at him, "Amazing. You can actually feel. I thought couldn't."

Saulus chuckled lightly and shook his head, "I can feel, yes. Just because I hide behind information and statistics doesn't mean I can't feel."

Kia finally smiled at him for the first time since they met, "Finally, you can understand..."

Saulus scoffed lightly and shook his head, "I guess you can say that. I still got some learning to do..." He turned his attention back to his work. This allowed Kia the time to approach him and pull his head up to plant a heart felt kiss on him. This caught Saulus completly off guard and when she finally pulled back, he asked, "What was tha-" He was cut off again when she put a finger to her lips.

Xanth was still on his way when he felt eyes watching him. This wasn't good. He turned off his path to the base and made it seem like he heading elsewhere. The eyes were still following him. Whoever they were, they weren't friendly. It was going to take him awhile to lose them. This added another two hours to the orginal three. Five hours of just plain running and hiding again. 'Fuck me.' He thought to himself.

Zanx-iie stood up and shook her head. There was nothing she could do about her orders, she had to do what she had to do. She adjusted her pack and used a portion of the rope to secure it on her back. She looked to the west, Zan and Tao mocked her, daring her to continue, daring her to try. She held her head high, they wouldn't best her this time. She vowed right then that she would find the others, she would complete her mission, even if it killed her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Barius ran his hand through his hair in agitation, they should have come to the safe house by now. The secluded fortress carved into the bottom of Zan mountain. A system of natural caves that the Tarians had used thousands of years before. The caves were intricate and beautiful and made livable by hundreds of years of craftsmanship.

"She should be here by now, they should be here." He flexed his hands and rubbed his forehead, a nervous gesture that he had done since he was a kit. He looked into the forest and he sighed in relief when he saw Firtez and the group. They looked confused and relatively nervous. "Where is my daughter? Zanx-iie!" He searched their ranks but her vibrant curls and slashing green eyes weren't among them.

"We waited for hours, General. She never showed." Firtez shook his head, his bright red hair swaying.

"She wouldn't. She went East, following the river to the base of Sua." Louie's voice was slightly irritated. "You are going to get her killed becuase of your stupidity, Barius. We all knew they never went across Saturan river, they followed it to Ilet falls where they scaled the cliff. Sua is close to Tao, close enough that, that it was decided to head towards the territory they knew."

"I'm going after her." Barius headed towards the far mountain.

"You can't, Barius. You are needed here." A hand grabbed his elbow and Barius shook it off angrily.

"My daughter comes first. Always. If I lose her, you have lost me. I'm going."
    Last edited by Mistrus; 03-19-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Xanth was exhausted now. Nearly four hours of tedious run and hide. Whoever was following me was now gone, I could tell because there wasn't a heavy atmosphere in the air anymore. He looked up into the sky to find his bearings, and he was another two hours from 'Baseplate' as he called it. He sighed and continued his trek back.

By the time he came back, most of the camp was moved and he went to his tent. He walked in and Saulus and Kia were at their stations working. He narrowed his eyes and spoke, "What's with the sudden change in work ethic?" They both jumped and turned to salute. But Xanth waved his hand, "I could care less for formalities right now. Saulus, did you do what I asked?"

"Yes, sir. I've got all the information. I burned what I had remembered and the rest I left for you to decide what to do with." he finished just fine. He glanced at Kia and smiled. Kia gave him a quiet kick to his foot.

Xanth sensed some tension in the air and he turned to face them, "Is there something you two want to tell me? OR am I going to have to fill in the blanks? You what nevermind..." He waved his hand at the last part as if there was a rancid smell that hit him in the face. He then looked over the papers and then looked at Saulus and Kia again, "For crying out loud, go get yourself a tent will you?" He looked between the two and they seemed edgy. Xanth face palmed himself to continue on to say, "You act like I haven't had "fun" in my life. I can tell when someone has done "that". So mush, go on, get." The two looked at him strangely.