Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is it possible

Wouldn't smaller (human-sized) humanoid robots make more sense, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

but you can't ride human sized robots...

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I'm sure if we had the technology to reproduce human capability in a robot, a humanoid one would be the best option. Our bodies are suited to do a lot of things. But we don't have that technology. Gundams aren't possible, but if they were possible they would be a dominant force.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Aren't Gundams just nukes walking? I mean, if one effs up, or gets destroyed, it's game over. Makes you sorta think, if we actually did have this tech, what would be the power source. I bet it'd have to be something significantly more than what's used in a nuclear sub, if we're talking Gundam sized mechs here.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    yeah I have no idea rofl. It would be a miracle if we could even get a machine to move that gracefully and quickly.

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Yeah, you'd need a lot of lube. (ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ

Well, if we were to discover something like cold fusion (which Stephen Hawking predicts we will, whether it be 100 years from now or 100,000) it could be possible.

There's a lot of money going into fusion research at the moment, and I think you mean that rather than cold fusion, which is generally believed to be a pseudoscience.

However, at the moment all designs for a potential fusion reactor (none that return a net positive energy output have yet been made) require technology so large and weighty that the only conceivable use for them is in stationary power plants. It's probable that this technology will get smaller over time, but it's still so complex and expensive that whether it would ever be worth using in a war machine is debatable.

It seems more likely that power-storing technology will advance and fusion will simply create the electricity that's used to power mechanisms such as electric cars, small humanoid robots, etc. Not that I see why fusion is necessary - aside from the public stigma against fission, there's no reason to fund fusion research instead of fission plants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.