Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible

Fenn
    What about different types of war machines, not necessarily bipedal. I imagine with proper engineering an arachnid-style vehicle could have some impressive mobility.

No, still it would be very dependable of the ground and it would waste a lot of energy, also you need to add the advantage of the rotative canon of a tank and how the strength of the recoil of the canon affect the gravity center of the vehicle.

I think, if we talk about a new type of vehicle for warfare, it would be something that float. But for this we need to develop new types of energy, new type of weapons and new materials for its weight/protection.

I dunno guys...call me crazy (and you'd most certainly be right)...but I think it is possible. No anywhere near our present or future mind you, but it's doable. I think Cype's right about mecha that are more in the design of Mechwarrior being more practical but Rio's right by saying there's enough mecha fans out there to aspire for more truly bipedal models.

I'm actually no big fan of mecha. But it seems apparent to me that with man's desire to recreate stuff in his image that a giant robot with the destructive capability of a battleship is possible. Like I said call me crazy. I remember reading old Appleseeds where even in their futuristic society there were Land-mates used in construction. Same thing in Patlabor too. This type of application is more logical to me than warfare.

But that's just my opinion.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    It would just be one giant robot that is very big and very slow, at best.

Also I don't think our joint technology is enough to support such high pressure and stress, nevertheless the heat that would be produced to move tons of steel at the speed of human reflex. The energy consumption would be insane and it would destroy the material it's made of. In other words: no Gundam.

Right no Gundam, no Zeno Gears, no Escaflowne. Nothing fancy at all. Smaller mecha? More like the powered battle suits being developed by military's today? I think there's something tangible there. Of course, there are a few issues to get around. The joint technology for one. If we can't articulate the damned thing fully (or at least almost fully) it being bipedal becomes a hindrence. The materials used to make it need to be considered too. Honestly, steel is way too heavy but there's other stuff that could be developed or maybe even stranger lighter alloys. Then there's the power source. Gas? Fuck no! Nuclear power? I doubt that too. Go green with solar power? Yes with an rechargeable electric battery(s).

But I'm talking about 10'-12' tall 'battle suits' like the land mates in Appleseed. Again, the materials used need to be lighter & stronger of course & robotic engineers are developing new ways to articulate robots everyday. The power source is the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    It would just be one giant robot that is very big and very slow, at best.

Also I don't think our joint technology is enough to support such high pressure and stress, nevertheless the heat that would be produced to move tons of steel at the speed of human reflex. The energy consumption would be insane and it would destroy the material it's made of. In other words: no Gundam.
    YMIR.

Have u guys seen this thing?

its no mecha but still...O.O it can walk on different surfaces and stabilise itself

They are working on it alright....its pretty scary what this thing can do, I think it is intended as some kind of supply carrying unit for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
    Last edited by Cloudy; 01-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.

i luv big dog

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy-Chan View Post
    Have u guys seen this thing?

its no mecha but still...O.O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
    FENRIS

I don't know, but everything that use legs to walk is downgrading actual technology.