Thread: Mawaru Penguindrum

Three Trio Tres Member DrPumpkin's Avatar

Mawaru Penguindrum

Because there has to be a thread for this crazy, crazy show.

Gawp here. Or, discuss here.

By god, this show needs discussing.
    Last edited by DrPumpkin; 01-07-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Lolololol. I like ' How electrifying ' better... I really liked the series.

I don't really want to discuss it since the thing afrobit posted in the random anime talk explains most of it :/.
    And i think people can have their own view on the story as well...

But, its a spoiler it if you havent seen the last ep :/
    SPOILER! :
    Why did kanva die? Did he the spell get him( i think its this but, im not completly sure since i may have overlooked something)

I got the impression Kamba sacrificed himself to save Himari by giving the 'apple' inside him to her.

Probably.

There was a really good diagram online that explained this, but I can't find it...

I really think the magic of this show that it leaves enough gaps for you to have your own meaning.

Ideas I want to share about the show:

SPOILER! :

Say, in Japan, a person commits a crime. The law only punishes the person that committed the crime, but Japanese society will usually make life hard for the family of that criminal, probably more so compared to other countries, like the UK, or the US. Most Japanese people think that the responsibility lies not only in the criminal himself, but also in the family members.

(Although not all think like this. I certainly don't, and many others don't either. But it seems to be a cultural thing that Japan holds 'responsibility' quite high up in their priorities, compared to, say, 'redemption'.)

This is the case with the Takakura family, and why Shouma holds the burden of his parents quite heavily on his shoulders.

If Shouma was a Brit, I'm pretty sure he would have acted completely differently. It would have been something along the lines of 'My parents were arseholes. Screw them.', and he would have been more ashamed than feeling responsible himself.

I think this very Japanese view of 'responsibility', is what the 'destiny' in the show is. It's the view that society forces things onto people and forces onto them a kind of 'destiny'.

SPOILER! :
    The show also looks into what a family is.

Japan's concept of families has changed so much over the years.

After WWII, Japan had a 'Baby Boom' where families literally started making babies. A lot. The population rose rapidly, and families had alot of children. And decades later, Japan's had a massive population decline, and with families only have single children, it's even become a bit of a problem.

I think the show asks you what 'family' actually is, and how the relationships in the family affect you.

Society can force 'destinies' onto you, but then again, so can families, probably more so, as with Yuri, and Teacher-guy (god, I've forgotten his name).

SPOILER! :
    The Night on the Galactic Railroad is a famous book in Japan, and considered by so many to be the best.

I've read it. I loved it.

Granted, it's deep. It's a children's story, but it's pretty deep. Find it and give it a read, and there's a lot of parallels in themes to Mawaru Penguindrum.

I can't list all of them, because I don't fully understand both of them...

eeh but
    SPOILER! :
    i thought ringo changed himari's destiny... so kanba didnt have to sacriface himself, well the curse-guy did say it was too late so maybe...

and that line was also reallyyy awesome xD.

Also i agree with you, the concept of what family is, and how destiny is taken. But also what afrobit posted about them all being abonded childeren with different stories. There are many hardships in the world... and with that even people make it hard for other people. I like to think that the show shows us that destiny is changable, if we just work hard enough, if we just try to understand each other. i guess. As the actress and the teacher guy said All they wanted to hear is that someone loved them.

I don't think i'll find a translation for the book, but there is a animated movie of it so maybe i could watch it.

I haven't exactly watched this show, but just started. I have to say, I like it. A lot of parallel's with my own life with certain instances and situations and also the realism behind families, society, with destiny of course. Thanks for making me add another anime to my collection. (I have around 80 or 90 on ISO's already x.x. Sucks for me, eh?)
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

What's the name of this strange.. anime. Or is that the title?? o-o

@Bya:

Found the chart~

SPOILER! :

It's in Japanese. But. I think it generally shows what happens.

SPOILER! :
    Ringo changes Himari's destiny, Shouma gives his apple to Kanba, who then gives the apple to Himari so that she's saved. Probably.

@T1B

Watch until the end and return here to talk about this awesomeness.

@Slurpee

It's an anime. Directed by the guy who directed Utena.

Anime's pretty weird already. Add a bucket of weird and then some mindfuck and then some penguins. Then mix in symbolism and powerful themes. Then triple the weirdness.

Then you get this show.

Whoah that is a good diagram *A*. I think i understand a little bit better now thanks ;D.

Hmhm..