Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Death Note!

Three Trio Tres Member Kenzieroo's Avatar
    The movies are cool, I watched the first one and I'm ganna see the second one soon.
    Don't take life to seriously, no one ever makes it out alive.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    The way the movies were executed impressed me. I expected something of far lower quality. I mean, obviously we're not dealing with cinematic masterpieces because it's live-action anime, but I thought it was good. and the actual dubbing into English was wowing. That was worth a gold star. BUT THE CGI ON RYUK--WHAT EVEN, JUST. NO.

I hated the movies

Three Trio Tres Member Kenzieroo's Avatar
    We'll thanks for being a party pooper. :/
    Don't take life to seriously, no one ever makes it out alive.

The movies shown in a more explicit way how cartoon-ish and poors are the characters.

I agree that the characters in the movies fell flat, but that was an error of source material, imo. Like Clock said, the characters in the manga/anime are like caricatures and hard to believe--when you put them in live-action human form, they just kinda kill themselves. What I meant n my original post was that the cinematography was actually fairly decent compared to most other live-action Japanese films. Many Japanese filmmakers resort to older styles of filming (lots of weird panning, montages, etc), but this one came off as fairly modern, which I didn't expect at all.

But yeah, the writing in it was "eh." Again, given the source material, it is what it is. It's like trying to make a quality Twilight movie--it's not possible.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    I disagree strongly about that last part, Seefs. I think a Twilight movie could be absolutely fucking amazing. I'm not being hyperbolic. Just do it from a more neutral point of view. Don't try and ignore the fact that all the characters are selfish, broken, people (or, in the case of Edward and friends, selfish, broken, abominations). Revel in the horror of the situation.

Granted, you'd then be left with basically a heterosexual version of Carmilla, only now Laura is also an asshole and totally into Carmilla's creepy possessiveness, but still. I think the basic aspects of Twilight could make for an amazing fucking horror story, and that Carmilla is proof of this.

The problem is that Mayer is such a shithead that she doesn't see the horror in what she has written. She fails to see that Bella and Edward are both assholes in a terrifyingly unhealthy relationship.

But, as for Death Note, I never saw the LA films, but yeah. I imagine putting a story like Death Note to film with live people would just exacerbate the problems I mentioned.

Could work as a silent film, I imagine, though. At least the bombast and melodrama would not be out of place.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Oh yeah, definitely. I agree about Twilight. But there's problem with making a film adaptation of something like that and trying to stay close to the source material, because the source material is too weak. Like you said, those characters could make a terrifically horrible (<-- intentionally) plotline with deception and fear in all the right places. The film writers definitely could have went that route, but the only things that would parallel between the films and the books would have been the characters themselves. The plot lines, etc, would be totally different. (Again, not to say that it's a bad thing in this situation.)

I don't think you could have done that with either Death Note or Twilight, because the only audience for those movies anyway were fans of the source materials. But if you change the film to move away from the source materials, the fandom does not agree with that most of the time.

Three Trio Tres Member Emi_Higurashi's Avatar
    I like Death Note, but it really reminds me of a yakuza or something. I still like Death Note, only because my mom makes me watch it with her EVERY saturday. Maybe it's because I told her that L was a detective and he's like the puppeteer or whatever. She scares me sometimes, she even makes me cosplay as Light just so she can act like L and call me "Kira"....How do I get rid of an Death Note adict?
    (BTW I always happen to say "I will kill L" just to make her leave me alone )

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.