Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Death Note!

Rhymes can often be really good, especially done well. Poe sort of freestyled kind of with his meter, but he did it wonderfully. A good example of excellent rhythm in prose is Lake's voice-logs in At the Mountains of Madness. It reminded me of Mordin, though it should have been the other way around.

I wrote this about Death Note on a different forum.

Quote Originally Posted by I
    Death Note straddles the line between shonen and seinen, and fails in what it tries to do. It is ostensibly set in the real world, with the exception of the fantastic element of the eponymous notebook. Yet the characters are caricatures and their responses are hilariously overblown for the sake of drama; see the infamous potato chip scene. In an anime that focuses on the relationships between people and the extent to which the antihero exploits them, simplifying the psychology of the characters only damages the story and makes it less believable. For that matter, while Light is the best-written character in the story, he's a very by-the-book antihero: his own narcissism causes him to fall from a position of power. There's little ambiguity in the series' portrayal about whether what Light is doing is right: he's evil, that's that. Ambiguity is limited to fan conjecture. Death Note is a guilty pleasure of mine because it has the ingredients of a fantastic anime, but it's marred by poor execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Which is in a lot of ways what I said. I think Eva and Death Note are both really exemplary anime because they not only show very clearly the weaknesses in writing many, if not most, anime (and video games) exhibit, but also because they are so blatant that in a lot of ways they are like the Star Wars prequels or Dominic Deegan; they teach by way of counter-example. They show how not to do what they are trying to do and fail so spectacularly in the trying that they clearly illustrate what is being done wrong.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Three Trio Tres Member Kenzieroo's Avatar
    I stick by what I said.
    Don't take life to seriously, no one ever makes it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzieroo View Post
    I stick by what I said.
    matabalizam?

Lol you got gotten by a non-native English speaker

Not my falt no one tryd to teach me to spell, and my retard eye sigh keeped md from reading until third grade. If it weren't for that I might be as smart as my friends think I am, schools are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzieroo View Post
    Not my falt no one tryd to teach me to spell, and my retard eye sigh keeped md from reading until third grade. If it weren't for that I might be as smart as my friends think I am, schools are stupid.
    I need a translator.

I can't reply to that.

Eh talk about death note