Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Death Note!

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Does anyone have that haiku I wrote about Death Note on one of the old boards? Because I lost that an I'd like it back.

Kthanx.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I HAVE IT KODOS. LET ME FIND IT.

<3<3

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Wait, no. I lost it, but I remember the first two lines. In hindsight it was terribly ableist. >.>

[trigger warning]
    SPOILER! :
    His name, it is L
    Genius who sits like retard
    [1 2 3 4 5]

Yeah. I was a bit less sensitive to shit like that back then, although in my defense I still didn't like using the word - I think I was just unable at the time to find anything else to fit the stupid scheme.

I absolutely hate rhymes, meter, and haikus. Like, you have no idea how much I fucking hate them. It's so arbitrary. It's like "Hey, I want you to run this marathon." "Okay that's a bit hard but I think I can do it." "But first we will kneecap you." "Oh... Oh."

The worst was one creative writing professor who was all "meter gives language rhythm!" No! Fuck you! Language already has rhythm! That's why foreigners sometimes sound really odd even if their syntax and word choice is right - they don't know the rhythm of the language. Hell, that's why singers can pretty much rhyme anything with anything.

If I can be bothered and find the time, I'll try and crap out a less offensive "this is how much Kodos hates Death Note" haiku.

But seriously back on topic: that show is like Evangelion. It's basically Pretentious Bullshit: The Animated Series.

Yeah, I know what you mean, Kodos. And don't feel bad about being less sensitive. The point is that you've gotten better with it.

The only thing that makes Death Note come off so pretentiously to me that it's just so serious most of the time. It tries to convey huge messages to the reader, but it's seriousness makes the morality questions, etc, seem irrelevant.

I think the problem is that, well, it's anime as fuck.

You can't try and tell a serious story and at the same time have a character as ridiculous as L. Well, I rescind that, you can, but you'd have to be real damn good at what you're doing. And the fact that L is not the sole strange guy, but merely the most extreme one, yeah. I mean, the moment you have a character named fucking "Light" you are already stretching my willingness to take your story seriously.

But L? Man. His age stretches believability. His stupid name stretches believability. His inability to sit like a normal fucking human being stretches believability. His incredible thinness in spite of his diet stretched believability. And the fact that the last bit is handwaved by some brain bullshit that makes no fucking sense? Yeah.

Basically I think the problem is that on one hand Death Note is trying to tell a morally complex story, but it lacks moral complexity. It's trying to be taken seriously, but it lacks any seriousness. It's just assuming that everything will be given for granted, without actually realizing you need to actually be complex to have complexity, and that your audience will never take anything you do seriously unless you give them reason to.

And isn't there later a fucking character named Mello or some crap? Who's like even younger than L? I mean, that's like Resident Evil shit right there, Alexia graduated from college at, what, 12?

EDIT: Also, about the problem being it's 'anime' ness. I was actually discussing this with my cousin recently, and with Del some times back. Part of the problem is that Japanese media in general is very melodramatic and, well, bombastic as fuck. Japanese writers seem to have no inside voice when it comes to writing. I'm not saying anime can't be subtle - some can - but that most of the time everything is just very overdramatic and bombastic. This sort of bombast really makes it hard to take things seriously and also seriously hinders anime's ability to tell the sort of subtle, nuanced, story Death Note is trying to be. Death Note is trying to do something complex, nuanced, and ambiguous, but is doing so while screaming at the top of its lungs into a megaphone.
    Last edited by Kodos; 01-06-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Three Trio Tres Member Kenzieroo's Avatar
    I my brother eats like L and he's super skinny, it's called a high matabalizam(Or however that stupid words spelled.) I also know people who are almost as smart as L and are around his age, maybe that's why I find it realistic I deal with it daily And Lcan sit normal, he choses not to, anyone can do that.
    Don't take life to seriously, no one ever makes it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Yeah. I was a bit less sensitive to shit like that back then, although in my defense I still didn't like using the word - I think I was just unable at the time to find anything else to fit the stupid scheme.

I absolutely hate rhymes, meter, and haikus. Like, you have no idea how much I fucking hate them. It's so arbitrary. It's like "Hey, I want you to run this marathon." "Okay that's a bit hard but I think I can do it." "But first we will kneecap you." "Oh... Oh."

The worst was one creative writing professor who was all "meter gives language rhythm!" No! Fuck you! Language already has rhythm! That's why foreigners sometimes sound really odd even if their syntax and word choice is right - they don't know the rhythm of the language. Hell, that's why singers can pretty much rhyme anything with anything.

If I can be bothered and find the time, I'll try and crap out a less offensive "this is how much Kodos hates Death Note" haiku.

But seriously back on topic: that show is like Evangelion. It's basically Pretentious Bullshit: The Animated Series.
    Waaaaaaat but songs are good :C

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzieroo View Post
    matabalizam
    metabolism

Songs are good. That's my point. Language has a natural rhythm. You don't need meter or rhyme to create rhythm in language. Meter and rhythm are wonderful tools and can help do things that you might not be able to do as well, or at all, otherwise, but to claim that language needs meter and/or rhythm in order to sounds melodious, beautiful, or flowing, is just silly.