Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Explaining specific games to people who don't play them

My personal experience shows that parents are much more concerned about the games they buy for their kids than most people would probably think. ESRB rating are fine when you're dealing in broad points, but when you look at the different levels of violence between black ops and gears of war 3, its something you have to talk about. Customers are unpredictable. Some don't mind most violence but when dudes are getting curb stomped or cut in half they get upset.

If you've ever been at a store you've probably overheard some little kid trying to explain stuff to their mom, and the mom asking exactly what it is they're talking about. Especially if it's something that seems abstract to non game players like dlc and shit. Obviously I'm not a parent but it seems like most of the time parents are just trying to find ways to get their kids to shut their faces so actually asking them for an explanation of something is an obvious expression of concern or even interest.

But anyway I don't remember writing anything about gift giving at all. It's about people who want to get into games but can't because the barrier is not only high, but stupidly expensive.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Well I was just talking about explaining specific games to people who don't play them, which could also include people buying games for other people.

Okay well I probably dont have enough room in the thread title but its people who want to play games but dont play them.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I gotcha.

The thing that amazes me the most about people who don't play games is the sheer ignorance some have to the whole concept. I mean I could understand even if it was 5-10 years ago but there are people out there today who literally don't know the first thing about it. My friend had an interview with a guy from a job agency and when she said she was studying making games he goes 'Board games or card games?' and then when she explained it was computer games he asked if she was going to work for one of the really big companies after uni, which is a ridiculous question (though I guess more reasonable then assuming she meant board games).

More relevent to this though my old housemate used to only play GTA games. It would annoy the hell out of me because I'd hear him talking about how they're the best games ever made, even though he'd never played any others. I tried to get him to play Bioshock because he's a writer I thought he'd really like it but I failed miserably to convey the appeal of the game to him

I don't even bother cuz I mean yeah :\

Fenn
    I really like this thread, because I think it addresses something every gamer thinks about even if we don't vocalize it.

Game Trailers: I don't think we'll see the end of cinematic trailers any time remotely soon because those types of ambiuous, flashy trailers are exactly what can attract less-informed gamers or non-gamers, just like a flashy movie trailer for a bad movie.

Gaming Journalism: I'm with you here. It's like no one has been born in the last half-century who enjoys both writing and video games. 1-Up.com has some decently-written articles, but for the most part gaming mags and sites are practically adversiting tools.

Game boxes: Boxes? What about Game manuals? They used to be chock-full of helpful info, now I'm lucky if they have a layout of the controls. The boxes are lame too, it's more lame, base advertising meant to draw you into buying it on impulse and pizzazz.

I agree, game companies just don't understand how to bring anything beyond Wii Sports and Kinectimals to the casual crowd.

That game group Frictional Games funded by Nordic () enjoys writing and game creation.

I got a subscription to a mag called game informer and it's pretty descent. They have opinion pieces as well as reviews and other random stuff. Their reviews are ussually really good and fair in terms of how they break things down and acknowledge the good and bad of games. The writers obviously spend a lot of time playing the games and loving gaming themselves. They have some good letters from readers too. I think magazines that are overly specific like xbox magazine and others for specific console mags are the biggest victims of being used purely for advertising.

The thing about marketing and game boxes etc is that they are often not designed by the game designers. The people that make the games don't get to make the marketing which is part of the problem. Some marketing douche who works for the publisher takes over and markets it according to whatever stupid rules they've decided on. So if they've sold a similar game to a particular demographic before they'll just market it the same way again and not care about ricking it with other audiences. They want the safe bet profit not to take risks in marketing.

I love how nonchalantly you said Game Informer even though it's the most broadly known VG mag in the world hahaha but yes unfortunately that sort of thing happened with Mass Effect: the first one independent of EA wasn't as hugely publicized and was good but ME2 was a whopper deal and less good and Mass Effect 3 is the biggest and will probably suffer being the worst too