Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Explaining specific games to people who don't play them

Game informer is owned by gamestop. It's a magazine meant to sell games just like @gamer is.

Also their reviews are embarrassingly poor. I'm not calling you out or anything, it's just my opinion.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I also got a subscription to GI. Gotta agree on some of their reviews being poor, but they have some interesting articles once in a while. But 99% of the time I'm just looking forwards to the badass cover art.

I have a subscription to OXM derp :I

I remember an entire article in nintendo game cube magazine about alternate uses for your N64 controllers, including as blingly necklaces. Those magazines were great precisely because they didn't take themselves so seriously... Now it's all marketing and staying on good terms with the publishers. Guess you can't really say any one crowd is to blame, through. It's just the price of popularity.

Anyway. Main topic. Video game effects on parents are ammusing. According to the express opinion of my dad, Cave Story is 'too childish' whilst No More Heroes is 'much to gorey and nasty', even the Euro version with the black pixie dust instead of blood. Wii Sports and Battlefeild 3 are amoung games he classes as 'the best'... Which, okay, fair enough, are not outright horrible; But what happened to 'too childish' and 'too nasty'?

I guess my overall point is that I don't think the general populace just dislikes depth, I think their are outright alienated by the whole artistry thing. If a game doesn't appear to take itself seriously, it must not be that important, huh? It's kinda like "Why doesn't the man in the TV want to be my freind today? ;_;"

Can't be arsed hunting down the exact clip, but I remember one Freelance Astronauts LP of Wii Sports Resort that summed this up perfectly; "...They should just yell GOOD JOB! and WELL DONE! weither you hit the target or not!"
    Last edited by Regantor; 01-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    I guess my overall point is that I don't think the general populace just dislikes depth, I think their are outright alienated by the whole artistry thing. If a game doesn't appear to take itself seriously, it must not be that important, huh?
    So exactly the same as any other form of media? Sadly, most people are neither artists nor interested in culture beyond "dislike" and "dis i like". Club music is top of the charts; sob stories or the latest thing by a big-name author comprise the vast majority of bestsellers; the summer blockbuster is nearly always terrible and terribly middle-class.

Junk media, it's like junk food. It's a sad reflection of cultural degradation, and quite possibly of the collapse of western civilisation to decadence, obesity, and passivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    I remember an entire article in nintendo game cube magazine about alternate uses for your N64 controllers, including as blingly necklaces.
    The old Nintendo Power Mag was AMAZING! They used to have partial length guides, fun and silly topics, it was a real entertainment mag taht was fun to read. I remember one 2-page spread article gave a "tour" of Nintendo Power HQ as if the game characters worked there. They had pics of Bowser looking for a parking space and super shrooms in the cafeteria lunch line.

Then they changed and became just like all the other magazines: everything was a preview or a review. It was "Coming Soon!", "Buy this game!" "Look what's coming out now!" Once a game was released and got it's review, you didn't see it in the mage anymore.

They've fallen into the middle now, they have fun pages like character profiles and the awesome Fan Creations sections, but I still miss the lighthearted and labor-of-love style of the old issues. I think the Internet is partially to blame: why waste print on guides and strategies when you can get those in 2 seconds with Google?

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    So exactly the same as any other form of media? Sadly, most people are neither artists nor interested in culture beyond "dislike" and "dis i like". Club music is top of the charts; sob stories or the latest thing by a big-name author comprise the vast majority of bestsellers; the summer blockbuster is nearly always terrible and terribly middle-class.

Junk media, it's like junk food. It's a sad reflection of cultural degradation, and quite possibly of the collapse of western civilisation to decadence, obesity, and passivity.
    Precisely. I mean, I enjoy a nice bag of chips or a sode every once and a while, just like I enjoy going to see the newest Fast and Furious when it comes out. But that's occasionally. It's the overindulgence and complete disregard for health and quality that's ruining things.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    I totally agree, but what I was really getting at was a specific feature to video games; They don't just beef up the 'hero' as super mecha godzilla jesus, modern producers seem to think that beefing up you personally is somehow what makes a game good...

Like, take a look at Fable. The much-lauded karma system is actually pretty damn shallow if you think about it, mostly because it had to be an action game. It had to be about you smashing all the evil guys/good guys in the world to become the best evil guy/good guy yourself. All of the features that aren't directly involved in you killing things and feeling awesome about yourself are simple sideline affairs, because dog forbid that you'd do something not directly related to improving your ego.

Side note: It was awesome that in the original fables that you could smash doors when in most games they are indestructable.

Fenn
    Why do developers feel they have to cater to either casual or hardcore gamers? A feel like a game that balanced both could be really successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Why do developers feel they have to cater to either casual or hardcore gamers? A feel like a game that balanced both could be really successful.
    Because they are indeed, targets. They both search different things in games and they both play differently. Yes, socially we shouldn't make the discrimination, but in marketing the discrimination is need so they can reach their target in a efficient way.

Obviously I do believe that a good game will please both targets, but the reality has shown that good games don't sell that well.