Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saiyagal's anime/manga style sketches and pics

I think Julia looks a bit uncomfortable... there's an evident bend to the knee on the left, which makes her center of balance seem odd bc her head is so far forward.
    I think redrawing her is a good idea, but you should try fixing her errors first. That way you can get an idea as to what she's supposed to look like.
    Maybe try using a blue or red pen or pencil to fix the mistakes. Trust me, this happens to me all the time--I'll finish drawing something, note the mistakes and then go to draw a better copy and end up making the same mistakes again. It really, really sucks :/

Good luck! And I realllyyy love your drawing style. It's so, well, soft and gentle! And more realistic, too. Sometimes the people are freakishly tall and it puts everything out of proportion. Yours is great!

@-'-,--
    Last edited by SnowWhite; 01-08-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks everyone! I'll post the finished picture as soon as I am done with it. (I've got a lot of grading to catch up on before the winter break) I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments. I never liked my style, but aren't we our own worst critic. lol
    You've been CHARMED!

I must apologize that my former pic will not be finished because I messed up when I used ink on Aidan's mouth. (Aidan is the dude BTW) He ended up looking like the Joker. Very disappointing. I still took everyone's advice and greatly appreciate your input.

Here is a new picture that I've been working on that I would appreciate input on.

Things I have noticed. His hands are too small. The position of his arms may be off. His wings just don't look right. If anyone has suggestions for drawing nice, large dragon wings, then I would be very grateful.
    Critiques and tips are both appreciated and thank you for taking the time to view my art work.
    Last edited by Saiyagal85; 03-12-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    You've been CHARMED!

SPOILER! :

this should be good references for dragon wings

Good work overall, just try to plan ahead so that the whole character fits on the canvas. You might also want to check the position of the armpits and the overall anatomy of the male upper body; it's hard to pull of a squarish build, it creates very stiff poses.

I think since Dragons are fictional you can draw the wings any way you want, theres no reference to base them off of....Because they dont exist...

But you can take a look at the structure/anatomy of wings of Animals like Rubisko posted. People must have based the wings off them way back in time or something.

Here are some more examples;
    SPOILER! :

Bat wing structures~

In my opinion Bat wings are as close as you'll get to dragon wings you've drawn and stuff like Skyrim. The key to making it look awesome is to make it look believable, too.

I'm not leaving a critique at the moment, since everyone's got some good advice here. But I did want to leave a bit of advice. I have had the ink thing happen to me a ton in the past--where I was trying to ink over the pencil, and it smeared or blotted or something. If you have a light box, you can trace over it without messing up the original (assuming your pens don't bleed, you can find ones that don't.) And if you're short on cash and don't mind the exercise, you can use a window--just tape the clean paper over the original using that tape that's removable (drafting tape or, cheaper the stuff for painting walls and keeping it off the trim, works fine.) Ooooorrrrrrr, if you have a glass table (I got a free one from a friend's dumpster :3) you can just put a lamp under it, and you've made your own light table. :3

I know that's lengthy, but I can't tell you how many drawings I ruined and got really frustrated about before I got a light box. It helped me take the original and make the improvements people suggested (or that I saw needed to be made.)

Hope this helps you!!!!
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Thank you Rubisko and Joosh for your critiques and Blue_Dragon for your inking advice! I think I've found the design for Daisuke's wings. Who knew an old Disney cartoon would come in handy.

Of course I'll just tweak the style a bit so that it looks like I want it. I am still open to suggestions about other things. Perhaps some advice on drawing a muscular male torso and arms. Also the position of the hands and arms are off. I'd like to work on those.
    You've been CHARMED!

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    The hand holding the swords handle is very nice ... The arm as a whole could use some work. Try to do that with your arm. You can't. Or not very comfortably, anyway. If he's going to be grabbing his sword like that, his elbow should be in the air, coming out towards the audience.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

Thank you! While my Dragon Prince, Daisuke, is under construction. Could someone give me some input on my nameless knight?

I probably shouldn't be posting this since I clearly got lazy on his cape, but whatever. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice. :3

Look at that! I actually colored this one! lol
    Last edited by Saiyagal85; 03-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    You've been CHARMED!

Your colouring is good My main critique is about the arms / hands - the hands seem a little small for his body size, and the arms a little short - although they're bent, so won't align 100% with this, elbows reach the hips, and hands mid thigh. Obv his arms are bent so wont be completely in this position, but they're not bent enough to be the length they currently are (if that makes sense)