Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saiyagal's anime/manga style sketches and pics

Saiyagal's anime/manga style sketches and pics

While I have been drawing for years, I just recently started working on improving my style instead of just doodling for fun. I have a great idea for a manga, but I am an amateur artist and need help on improving my style. I love the anime/manga style and I'm trying to change my style to look more "animeish" you might say. This sketch is a simple sketch of two of my main characters in my manga "Charmed."
    The pose if boring, but I figure that I really need to improve on proportion before I draw more dramatic poses. You advice is greatly appreciated. I hope to improve on my style and repost my picture inked and colored.

Thanks in advance! I apologize for the crease in the middle. I accidentally dropped my sketchbook and the page folded. I sure wish it didn't show up.

Last edited by Saiyagal85; 01-20-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    You've been CHARMED!

the anatomy for the guy is spot on in my opinion, the girl looks cute, but the skirt is a little drabby, shorten it just a little, (not too showy)just a bit above the knee, and add a little flowing curvy lines to it. her neck is kinda long but that is not too important. work on your hands a little more. Its a little tricky to get right, but use your own hands for reference
    OVERALL AWESOME

woo they are cute I'd like to see more before I can do any critique though :3

Yes, Julia's neck is a little long and hands are tricky. I do agree that the skirt is drab. I'll look for some tutorials and tips on how to draw a realistic looking skirt. Thanks for your opinion. It always helps to have a second pair of eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy-Chan View Post
    woo they are cute I'd like to see more before I can do any critique though :3
    Thank you, but may I ask what you mean by "seeing more?"

I'll wait a few days, receive a few more opinions, and then I'll make some changes and upload the pic inked and colored.
    You've been CHARMED!

Your drawings look pretty nice as they are. My first thought was that the girl looks like her head is pushed too far forward - almost as if her back has too much of a forward curve to it (hyperkyphosis if case you'd like to know the technical term). The guy's head looks better in its placement, but I still think it could be pushed back a little bit in the future. The hands aren't bad really, but they could be made bigger. The length of the hand should be roughly equivalent to the length of the face. At any rate, keep up the good work.

Personally I think those draws are enough to make a story or comic. If you respect their style you can do a lot with them.
    Now if you want to explore them further I would just recommend to work on the length of limbs and the shoulders position, and trying to give more volume to their bodies. Obviously this advice is only if you want to keep the style, if you don't you can always work the dimensions of their body parts.

Did you make this pretty small? Just curious, because I think I see lined paper there. This is quite good actually, and the proportions and line weight variation are rather nice. I do want to see what you can accomplish on drawing paper at a larger size.

AS a few of the people stated great anatomy. Id just like to say that the girls neck, arms/hands and head don't add up to the rest of the body. The neck goes off too much in the back of the head and the arms and hands are disproportional to the rest of the body. But the guy is pretty good. Well only his hand strikes me as a bit small. Good job!
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Did you make this pretty small? Just curious, because I think I see lined paper there. This is quite good actually, and the proportions and line weight variation are rather nice. I do want to see what you can accomplish on drawing paper at a larger size.
    The lines are what I drew to help me with proportions. This is actually drawn on a normal sized 11X9 sketchbook paper. The body is said to be about 6 1/2 to 7 heads tall. The guy, Aidan, is about 7 heads tall and the girl, Julia, is supposed to be short so she is about 6-6 1/2 heads tall. However I used Aidan as a guide for Julia's height (the top of her head should be at his chin, not including her hair) and unfortunately I drew her head too big and it threw off her proportions. I may just erase and start over on her. Sorry Julia! LOL
    You've been CHARMED!

Oh, my dad told me a way to draw hands ~he's such a smart a** at drawing~LOL. First draw five lines from the wrist and you draw the fingers, usually I draw circles/ovals for the fingers and they're usually 3 circles/ovals long. And thumbs are the only fingers that have a bit of freedom in moving or draw the way the hand should be on a piece of papaer and copy it after :P ( did that before and it worked )

Oh and about wrists theyre always aligned to the crotch...