Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow's Art :) Zombie Thread

Shadow's Art :) Zombie Thread

Hi, I've stalked this site for a while now, so thought I should finally get around to posting something to help me improve.. for starts, here's lineart of an angel I started drawing. Will colour it later, but any CnC welcome to help me improve ^^

Edit: Whipped up another picture to be coloured at some point, critique welcome

Last edited by Shadowsfade; 08-13-2013 at 06:33 AM.

I really like the fist one. The hands are pretty detailed, but if you're going to express that much detail, you should do so with the rest of the drawing.

The wings are great, but they should have a thickeness to them. Look at how bird wings bend; the bone wouldn't just vanish but curl. Besides that, the wings look pretty cool.

The shoulders could be sloped a little more but I really do like the pose a lot. The hands do seem a bit small, though. I hope this helps.

while drawing wings, avoid drawing the curve of the top. What I mean is that you drew an ach from the back down to the tip of the wing. This tends to make it look flat and one dimentional. In order to give it depth (or to start to do so) errase most of that line. When it's curving inwards, remove the line for a bit starting from the area where the wing is connecting to the vertical line going to the tip. Also, a bird's wing is basically a triangle and so an angel's wing is the same.

the wings also need to start from the same part. Talking to doctors of anatomy (as I wanted to make mine as realistic as possible way back when) the spine would be the ideal place to attach the wings in order for them to support the body (sounds out there but it's a good way to draw) Find the spine and use that to make sure the wings are even.

Anime wings are way different through, they are bones, like the one everyone draws a dog having, petruding from the shoulder blades and fluffing out from there, if you wanted to try that.

here are a quick redlines I did in paint to try to help (did them using a finger pad so sorry for the low quality)

Photobucket

hope that all helps and doesn't sound too mean

As for shoulders, a woman's shoulders are never at 90%. That is only a male's shoulders do that. Add more fall to it. (let it drop more) Also your hands seem to be uncentered, which then allows one to see an uneveness in the arms.

Other than that, your bottom drawing's legs are uneven (the left one looks fat).

Hey, thanks both for the crits, really help, especially with the angel wings as I haven't drawn wings before so didn't really know where to start! Will get round to editing that one, but I'm staying at a friends house for several days so don't have as much computer access. I agree with what you meant, Sunny, about the detailed hands - there would be more detail when i got around to shading in hair strands etc, but any ideas how I could help balance it out more? Should I just erase some of the lines in the hands, or add bits to the rest of the drawing? I've had time to edit the bottom picture slightly and add some colour, will add shading later when I have time. Thanks again!

Edit: Did manage to get some time today to work a bit on the angel - thanks for the advice, looks much better now! Changed the hair a bit, though I'm still not too happy with it (curly hair is annoying!) and I edited the bottom of the dress to how I originally thought it would look like - I think the fold lines may be a bit off though, but dunno if it's just coz I've been staring at it for too long.

Last edited by Shadowsfade; 12-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.

your wings have shown many improvements. I suggest looking at bird wings for refferance to see how the muscles move. The big secret that will help is that although your girl's wings are on her back, the body of a bird and an angel are the same in the sence that the motions of the wings flap from the back to the belly.

To help you get started, this is one of my favorite pictures that show you the different sections of the wing. each section, as you will see, has it's own traits. The primary feathers spread wide as the secondary feathers tend to stay the same. kinda like our toes, how the big and pinky toe spread out, but the three in the middle stay together.

http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/img/ba...-feathers.jpeg

Also I found this beautiful bird, who's wings are vibrant. Also, the primary feathers have grey in them so it's easy to see how the feathers look spread out, altering in their archs from the muscle of the wing, however comming together as one ach at the tips.

http://wonderingfair.files.wordpress...-bird-wing.jpg

A last thing I would like to mention is that the primary section of the wing tends to be the last one that pops out, it stays tucked in, moreso than the first pic, and is practically what you see when a bird tucks in their wings. When this happens, you will see an alteration in the ach (drasticness changes but basically like the first pic)

I hope that was clear. I only wish I could some how point to the pics as I am explaining.... I'd help more that way... unfortunately, internet only offers so much

Oh I totally forgot! Sunny was right about what she said about the wing being able to curve, however it's not the bone that curves as bones can't do that (although cartalage can, but that's another thing all together) Anyways, the bone in a flying bird only finds itself in the marginal coverts. it is quite a small bone, allowing the bird to manuver greatly (as it's all muscle) At the tip of the scapular (about where the word points to the picture) is a hip joint thing... like our hips or arms, it's a ball and socket type connection allowing all the wing to move.

Well that's bird wings 101 as I learned it a few years ago...
    Last edited by Maxx_Wellington; 12-31-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Id say know your anatomy! Do a lot of reference drawings. And if you want to practice anatomy and poses then try drawing one of these! http://www.posemaniacs.com/
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Thanks a lot Maxx, the pictures and description really helped and made things much clearer! I shall do some more wing practice when I have time Finally finished both pictures, and now I'm back home will get down to more drawing! Thanks for all the help

Wow, your finished (are they finished?) drawings are beautiful! You do an excellent job at coloring, much better than me by far, so kudos for that! But anyways... besides what everybody else said, I'll add that the legs seem a bit too wide around the center for being so narrow at the top. it looks like you draw the clothes first, right? Well, I'd recommend drawing the body's outline first that way you can kind of trace the clothes around it. If you need more help, try looking in the mirror wearing shorts. The pose site that Gedeon gave is also very helpful (:

Hope I helped!
    And good luck @-'-.--

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I like these newer drawings; they have a very complete feel to them, especially with the detail work. What program do you use?

Thanks Snow and Celestial for your nice comments thanks snow, i'll work on making them a bit narrower in future! atm I use GIMP for my drawings. Here's a new thing I did over the past day or 2 (drew in pencil first using ref then scanned on and inked etc, ref here (had to do a bit of guesswork on the legs as hidden by her dress): http://wolfcatstock.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1ajjbt

ps. sorry the lines are a bit blurry, tablet / GIMP was messing up when I was drawing it for some reason
    Last edited by Shadowsfade; 01-06-2012 at 01:38 PM.