Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Shadow's Art :) Zombie Thread

Nice idea adding the leaves. However it ties back a bit to what I said previously about weird coincidences; now the flying leaves and her line of sight point toward something outside of the frame. I think that if the leaves had curved around toward her face, and maybe swirl around her and behind her it would break that tension. But that's mainly me looking for things to improve, and there are always something to improve on in almost every piece of art :P I really think that you finished this one up in an excellent way.

aww thanks rub and don't worry, even with pieces im happy with, its always great to hear things to improve on in the future! i've only really started looking at the basics of composition, and yeah, having both things going off-screen can be distracting to composition. having it swirl around her or something would have been really nice i probably wont go back to it now, but it's a good thing for me to remember next time. thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsfade View Post
    thanks a lot do you mean like soft shading rather than cell shading? i should really attempt some more of that yeah and thanks, i shall try out some gesture drawing - i tried some of those 30 second pose things on posemaniacs months ago which are meant to be quite good at getting gesture drawing, but only did it once lol!
    That's good shadow! I'll refer you to this one (contains Nudity) http://th09.deviantart.net/fs10/PRE/..._gurukitty.jpg

For me i usually make lots of stick drawing thumbnails first, then when the pose/composition seems natural to me i scan it (when sketched with more analog tools) and enlarge it on the pc. I flip it horizontally to check awkward mistakes easily. Then from there i flesh out the details. I just wanted to share it cause this workflow lets me save time and effort. You can experiment too with your design process and see what's effective for you. Good luck

(}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Thanks a lot for that link Bunny you also inspired me to look up some gesture drawing things on youtube!

Decided I needed to do a bit more practice of things, so found some references for folds and profile faces (decided after my autumn picture that i'd got too rusty with face profiles!). i appologise for the picture quality, i don't have my scanner atm, so had to resort to taking pictures on my camera, and the light went a little funny!

Folds:
    SPOILER! :

and face profiles (i did realistically, which was my first attempt for aaages, and was quite pleased with how they turned out. i realise that the eyes on the second one are at a slightly different level, but hey ho!):

SPOILER! :

If you need good reference for folds just take a bed sheet and throw it over a chair =)

I'm sorry but I think the photos are a bit to fuzzy to critique properly

now this looks awesome! nice faces. Good progress you got there. I'm loving the style. Maybe draw the ears a little bit bigger. Also you drew lips! that's good. Hope you do get access to a scanner tho. It's quite blurry I can't critique it well.
    (}_{)
    (>.<)
    (___)0 VOID "Every act of creation, is first of all an act of destruction" - Picasso
    http://bunnyvoid.deviantart.com/

Ah - hadn't realised how bad quality they were, sorry! I managed to get access to a scanner, as I'm off to uni this weekend so won't be able to post for a while..

bunny - you're right about the ears, i think especially on the first one. on paper, they didn't look quite as small, but seeing it on the screen it's really noticeable! and thanks for the tip about sheets rubisko

right, take 2!

folds:
    SPOILER! :

faces:
    SPOILER! :

thanks!

The folds on the cloak look good, but I think they are a bit stiff, that is all I can think to mention, also nice work on the hoods!

For the faces the profile one looks good but the far away eye of the last picture looks off, I advise looking at a mirror and replicating the pose to fix it.
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

In that second fold study, the shape of the cloak is weird. It's like there's a giant board underneath, pushing the front of it out. Trying drawing it how it would lay on an actual body.

On the first profile, the back line of the neck you probably be a little closer to the ear.

On the second face picture, with the angel of that far line, you should see more of that side of the face (like through the dip between the lip and nose). Also, the lower part of the ear is a little too blocky and wide. I'd have in curving in more at the middle to distinguish the lope more.

All in All, pretty good

demon - for the folds being stiff, was it one of the cloaks in particular, or both of them? and yeah, i struggled getting that side of the face behind the nose right, i know that it wasnt quite at the right angle, as JJ was saying, and looking back at the ref I showed too much of that side - so the eye should be much smaller, and the face in more, thus rectifying why you cant see the cheek or whatever

JJ - by front of the cloak, do you mean the middle that is closest to us, or our left? in the ref, the person was twirling round, which is why the right bit is further back, but i agree it looks a bit odd / stiff, i shall try doing some more so i can get it looking more natural for the line of the neck, i see what you mean - in the ref it is actually like that, as the person is leaning their head forward, seperate from their neck (if you know what i mean), but whilst i drew the angle right for the bit of the neck near the ear, i didn't slope the bottom line, connected to the chin, enough toshow that that was her position - so i need to adjust one or the other of my lines thanks for pointing it out! thanks for the tip about the ear, i havent drawn many ears at that angle, so it helps! and for the side of the face, see what i said to demon

thanks both for your tips, they shall help next time i get around to drawing where i plan to do a bit more folds / realistic faces