Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Shadow's Art :) Zombie Thread

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    A lot has already been pointed out. Ermm, well if I'm being picky, the side of her torso furthest away from us- aside from her breast its all very straight and flat. Makes her figure seem unnatural. Nothing like a good curve on a woman!
    "The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."

-Victor Hugo

Gotta love the sexy curves!

Thanks everyone for all your help, but after sleeping on it, i decided this pose was just too boring! I know what I want to make out of this picture, so I managed to find a ref that was pretty similar, so it'd still fit with what i wanted, just a bit more exciting!

However, once i'm done with this pic, i'm going to go back to that previous sketch and improve it with all of your guys' comments, just to improve myself!

So, if there are any comments on this new pose i'd greatly appreciate it, im much happier with this one. Hopefully i'll finally get around to adding detail in the next few days!!

Oooo, nice curves This once looks much more natural! The neck looks really thock, but that's probably just the positioning of the head. I thinkbyou could make the hands a little bigger and show the fingers looping around the staff more, so that it looks like she's gripping the staff and not just pinching it like a crab.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Hello.
    I wanted to say that you seem to be rushing into drawing a person rather than developing the figure. There are plenty of tutorials out there to teach you how to use shapes to create the desired figure so i would start there. This isint to say that you arent good but it is how we get better. If you look at a persons body you can construct it with shapes on top of shapes Like the chest can be like a trapazoid with a square attached for the torso and arms are cylinders or rectangles atached to circles and so on.
    So when you draw something its like constructing a person and you begin to see more clearly what doesnt look natural or what is desireable to you the artist.
    Just my general advice i thought i would share. Good luck and keep drawing.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I do use some basic shapes before I start drawing, A kind of tapered quadrilateral for the torso, then another for the lower parts, and then do rough cylindrical shapes for the legs and arms, with circles for the knees/elbow/ankles etc, but tend to rub them out before I post on here. I'll go look for some tutorials though, coz I might not be doing it to the extent you should - I kinda use it to figure out my pose and rough positioning, and to help a little with the shape. Thanks!

And JJ thanks - the neck is a teensy bit too thick, so i'll sort that out later, and i'll probably leave making the hands bigger to when i digitally lineart, as im quite happy with the shape atm! But I'll deffo remember to keep in mind. I'll see if I can edit the fingers holding the staff, thanks! I'm also planning on angling the thumb a bit more, so that might help make it look less crab-like hehe!
    Last edited by Shadowsfade; 07-17-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Ok, here's the pencil lineart all finished (character = Nidalee from League of Legends)

Within the next few days i'll be inking it digitally, colouring, background etc etc... If anyone has any other problems they can see with the lineart before I get started would be great to hear

p.s. ignore the lines and the figure you can see behind, the other side of the paper has lines on which i used for sketching other stuff, and the scanner decided to make the paper see-through so you can see some of the other side o.O
    Last edited by Shadowsfade; 07-18-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Her thighs are much longer than her calves. Remember, in human anatomy the upper and lower parts of the legs are the same length. Also, don't be afraid to add folds to the clothes.

I love all the detail! Keep up the great work!!

i measured the legs, and the one closest to us they are the same length, but the one further away the calf is way shorter than the thigh o.O totally didnt notice, thanks for pointing that out lol. i seem to have a habit of doing that!

and doh, folds! I was so concentrated on getting all the detailing right I completely forgot about folds paha. I shall add that when I start to ink, thanks a lot!!

edit: I went back and looked at my ref, and actually, on my ref, the furthest leg, the thigh is much longer than the calf, and i've drawn it proportionally correct to the ref :S not sure how that works out, it's a photograph, so is real proportions!
    Last edited by Shadowsfade; 07-18-2012 at 02:57 PM.

101 Dalmations Member Shindoutou's Avatar
    Could you post a picture of that reference, so we can see it too?
    About that last picture: the neck looks too thick (and a bit too short), and you could try defining the feet more.. if that even makes sense.
    It looks as if her feet are floating right now.

Other than that, she looks great, and good job on the details of the clothing.

Yeah of course! The picture can be found here (it's the furthest right on the middle row. I downloaded it seperately and flipped / zoomed in so I could see it better... hopefully it'll be a decent enough size for you to see!)

http://kxhara.deviantart.com/gallery/8853784#/d54n554

Also don't worry, I'm planning on adding a background etc, so the feet will end up having solid ground beneath them hehe! and thanks, the spots took forever to do lol.

i've digitally inked it now, but i wont post just yet, as it's not much different to my last post - i'll wait till I add more stuff in / change a bit more from critiques