Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: List of common misconceptions

Not in the real number system, which everyone but mathematicians uses. It's a confusion of symbols.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Then I guess we agree.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    You only agree 1/3 of the way.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I'd wager it's more like .3333% of the way.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Delphinus that doesn't prove it considering .333 is merely a numerical representation of the fact that an exact third cannot exist.
    But it can in real life? This is where math really trips me up...

Yes.

Let's give one pie the value of 3. Cut it into 3 slices, and each slice is 1.

Give the same pie the value of 1 and each slice is 1/3 or 0.333...; whichever metric you choose is arbitrary. s = p/3 where s = slice and p = pie, that is all.

If you want to be pernickety, you're just cutting the pie into 3 sections containing an equal amount of molecules, meaning p is going to be more like 100,000,000 than 1 anyway.

Not that you'll ever get an exact third when you cut a pie into 3 slices anyway, but never mind that.

Oh, I like this sorta thing.

Nothing rhymes with the words 'Orange' or 'Silver' or 'Purple'

Blorenge, a small town in Wales, and Lozenge, as in those things you suck when you have a sore throat. And the Chilver (sp?) which is an ancient Hindu religious text. Herple, meaning to limp or hobble and Curple which is a strap used by horse riders on horses. I hate it when people try to be interesting by saying certain words have no rhymes.

The Beatles spell the letters H.E.L.P. on the Album cover of 'HELP' in semaphore.

Actually it spells N.U.J.V. Many silly conspiracy theories have come about from this, buts its simply because the guy doing the photo shoot thought it looked better.

Don't go swimming for 30 minutes after you have eaten.

You can, nothing will happen to you at all.

Cracking your knuckles will give you arthritis

No it won't.

The British use 'the V sign' as an insult because in medivial times when they were fighting the French, when a Welsh longbowman was captured by the enemy they would cut off the index and middle finger on his right hand, so the British used to show them their index and middle fingers before battles as a jeer to the French.

There is absoulty no evidence for this. Incidently every single Dutch person I have ever met while abroad has told me this story. Could the Dutch please stop doing that? Thank you.

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he thought the world was round.

Actually, he thought the world was pair shaped.

In certain towns in England, you can still legally shoot a welshman with a crossbow on a certain day of the week.

Ofcourse you can't, darling, that would be murder, wouldn't it? That one really annoys me.

The daddy long legs has the strongest venom known to man, but, don't worry, its doesnt have any teeth.

Hmm. I think this one goes without saying.

If you see a woman with an adams apple, shes a transsexual

Woman do have adams apples, they're just not as big as mens.

There are 50 states in the USA.

46, actually. The states of Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Massachussetts are commonwealths. I only add this one because its starnge how many Americans are unaware of this.

Roman Emperors used to put their thumbs down to signal the death of a gladiator in the Collosseum.

They used to put their thumbs up, in fact. If they wanted to save them they would put their thumbs out to the side and then put it back inside their fist.

The dust in your house is mostly made up of human skin.

I think this one was made up by the people who make and market cleaning products. A pathetically small amount of human skin is in dust. What is actually in it depends on where you live, your lifestyle, weather you own a pet etc, but it is not true that most of it is peoples discarded skin.

Thats all I got right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester_Of_Sorrow View Post
    In certain towns in England, you can still legally shoot a welshman with a crossbow on a certain day of the week.

Ofcourse you can't, darling, that would be murder, wouldn't it? That one really annoys me.
    I looked this up at one point. Turns out that it is legal, but only under the old medieval common law system. The more recent statutory laws against all murder override the common law; it's just that the medieval law was never formally withdrawn, presumably because it was unnecessary to do so.

Same applies with the law stating that (until 1976) every taxi had to have a bale of hay in the back to feed the horses, and apparently they are all illegal because they don't do this. Well, the other day I saw a taxi with at least 4 crates of beer in the boot... so I don't know what kind of horses he's feeding.

Fenn
    Delph's second explanation makes sense. Sometimes i forget math is limited by the way we represent it. So base-10 simply cannot express 1/3 properly.