Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Money is the most important thing in the world

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Whether money is important or not is relative to how rich the person is and how high their standards are. I can imagine a time where money wasn't worth a shit.

Fenn
    ram the points you posted refer to the question "is money the most important thing in modern society" which is a different question than "do you believe money is most important?" Which question are you asking?

it is the most important thing. gives you piece of mind. if there was no need for money...well, society would crash, there would be no need for jobs. Cash is the incentive that keeps people from doing w/e the hell they want. if there was no money, my bipolar grandpa would be doing 240 mph on a residential area without fear of being ticketed for speeding. this aint no Disney movie where magic feeds your souls. Its real life. you are either rich or you're not.

@AudriCantDance

You're confusing money with what money represents. Even if we used a bartering system people would still exchange services.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

I liked Delph's description, its like lubricant. Yeah, you can get by without being rich even in today's world and still be happy but money is certainly a helping factor. My main concern is that people out there still think money=happy. I was given more money than I needed in the form of scholarships when I started university. Its been comforting to have some money behind me, I never have to worry that I'm going to be broke while studying. Yet I wouldn't say its made me overall happier just having that money. I think one of the best things I ever did with it was sponsor a child. I think the whole idea of money=happiness makes people believe that they need to accumulate more and more material wealth. Personally for me I prefer to think that its about gaining enough for what I need and to do what I want (ie studying, starting a business) and then helping out those who are less well off with the rest. I was born in a first world country, so I'm already miles ahead of many other people in the world. Why should I horde all my wealth for no reason when I already have everything I need?

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by AudriCantDance View Post
    it is the most important thing. gives you piece of mind. if there was no need for money...well, society would crash, there would be no need for jobs. Cash is the incentive that keeps people from doing w/e the hell they want. if there was no money, my bipolar grandpa would be doing 240 mph on a residential area without fear of being ticketed for speeding. this aint no Disney movie where magic feeds your souls. Its real life. you are either rich or you're not.
    Having $1,000,000 in my account would not make me happy. Spending it properly would. Like Delph and Ink said, it's a powerful tool that can definitely make people happy. But there are people will loads of money and no happiness, and people with little cash who are happier than their wealth suggests.

I think interpersonal relations are the most important thing. I'd argue very few people would be happy for an extended period of time without human contact, regardless of their material possessions. Children also need human interaction biologically in order to survive and become self-sustaining and socially competent. Relationships are every bit as important and unavoidable as money.

I bet you have like 10 years old.

Trust me, most people would be more than happy having that money in their accounts.

Maybe temporarily, but the act of simply having the money doesn't lead to long lasting happiness. Only what you choose to spend that money on can determine how happy having the money ultimately makes you.

happiness is momentarily, like most emotions. But any grown up person that see that amount of money in their accounts are going to be happy. Not directly because of money, but about what that money can do in their lifes.

My point is that money in and of itself does not equal happiness (you're pretty much agreeing with me I know). I just think that some people assume that because they get the money they will be happy with whatever they decide to do with it and as black shaggie pointed out that is often not the reality. Money can do a lot for people's lives, its true but there are plenty of people out there who will just spend it all and still be sad.