Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Money is the most important thing in the world

Money is the most important thing in the world

I don't know if there's a thread like this one before.

Discuss?

Is it? Or is it not?

Fenn
    Nah. It's essential for life, which makes it very important; if we're talking material possesions here, its probably most important. If we're including abstract concepts as well, though, I'd drop it a few notches.

I'll just paste the stuffs that I saw in paulnoll.com

Arguments in Favor:

1. Everything in modern society is based on money. As the saying goes, money makes the world go around.
    2. Parents object to their daughters' marriages unless their future sons-in-laws have jobs with good prospects.
    3. Many young people marry for money rather than love. Security is more important than happiness.
    4. Some people in Shanghai would even trade their self-esteem for money.
    5. Materialism influences education, too. Students acquire knowledge not for its own sake, but for a bigger wage.
    6. Students choose business courses rather than liberal arts for the sake of earning big money in the future.
    7. Very few people want to be teachers because teaching is not a lucrative profession.
    8. More emphasis is put on material life than on spiritual life in modern society.
    People do anything in their power to earn money to buy their houses, furniture, cars, etc.
    9. People are trained to be acquisitive from an early age and are not considered successful unless they make good money.
    10. People spend most of their lives struggling frantically to keep up with their neighbors.
    11. Wealthy nations can succeed by offering their poorer talented neighbors bigger salaries.
    12. Financial rewards for pop stars make many people envy them.
    13. A desire to earn more money is nothing to be ashamed of.
    14. Deng Xiao-ping said, "To get rich is glorious."
    15. Being poor is not very much fun.
    16. Being rich allows you to do what you want.
    17. If you are rich, many people want you for a friend.
    18. It is easier to marry well if you are wealthy.
    19. Being wealthy allows you to enjoy life to the fullest.
    20. The man who has the money makes the rules.

It kinda wins on abstract as well.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    15. Being poor is not very much fun.

While I'm not going to argue with those points I will say that I've always thought a more interesting question is should money be the most important thing? While I acknowledge the importance of money I do no obsess over it or hold it all tightly to my chest like some people I know. For example my bf can't buy ANYTHING unless its a bargain price. Like a serious bargain. To him even a slight price mark down is not good enough, it hasd to be seriously discounted. Frequently he refuses to eat takeway with us or buys something small then goes to the supermarket and buys discounted almost expired food to supplement it. I'm not saying its wrong to try to save money but there comes a point where you're going to far. The point of having extra money is to spend it on other stuff ie: getting takeaway with your friends!

I have another friend who had a massive fight with me because my shoes broke and I said I would rather have them repaired then buy new ones even if the repair price was around the same price as new ones. My thinking was thus, these shoes are still perfectly fine, why throw them away and get new ones when I could just fix these? Her thinking seemed to be OMG WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID YOU CAN JUST GET NEW ONES FOR THE SAME PRICE WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!! It didn't seem like that bigger deal to me because either way I would have good shoes that were fine, and my way involved not 'wasting' my older pair. To be honest it really freaks me out how much other people act obsessed with cash. It's important and argueably the MOST important asset to have but I believe its possible to put it on too grater pedastool, to the point where concern for money overshadows other things that are just as important. Even in the list of arguements there are some points that make me raise my eyebrows and go there is something wrong with the world.

I use to have a friend who invite me dinners, movies, etc. Now that I'm writing this I think "wow, was he trying to hit on me?", but well that is not the point, but rather his problem with money, he could never control himself with money, he waste everything in every single caprice he wanted, he even bought a race car one day... yeah now he compete in rallies. But that was his level of spending money.

In a different case I had a friend who never waste money, never, a little like me (but I'm trying to change). He never waste money, he love video games but hate to pay for them, he love movies but hate to pay for a movie, and the same goes for books and tv series. He waste in fast food and weed, everything else has no value.

Now the point is simple, money is not bad. The deal is that we don't know how to waste it, and I'm not saying you need to invest your money or do good deals, I'm saying that people have a problem in giving values to objects or services and making the analogy with a monetary value. The first case, he just think see the object as more important than money, so having the car is more important than the amount of money he is wasting, and obviously having this freedom makes him very capricious. While in the second case, he love things, but he consider money (or other objects, more consumables) more important, and he don't see the price of what he love equal to the value he think it should have.

If you really like something is not bad to waste money (if you have), but you need to be aware of what you really want and what is just a whim.

Man I get so annoyed with people like your second friend who always refuse to pay for stuff just because they can get it for free. Yeah you can download every movie ever for free and the same with games, books, music etc but the fact of the matter is that someone worked their arse off to to make that. They need money just as much as you and if you have the money to get something like that rather than steeling it you should do so as much as possible. So many people I know are like that, and they give the old but I don't have the money excuse and then go spend $100 on clothes. The thing that annoyed me most about this attitude is when I was trying to get sponsored for the live below the line challenge, which was to raise money for very poor people. I asked people at my uni to sponsor me even if it was only $5 or something small like that. I think out of the people from my uni 3 people gave me money? The most annoying case was this guy who told me he had no money WHILE he was heading off to buy takeaway. He lives at home with his parents, they do all the grocery shopping and probably give him extra pocket money as well. It was infuriating because the callenge was to live off only $2 worth of food a day for a week, so I'm going home eating plain rice wishing I could have egg with it and he's there being all I don't have any money to sponsor you with because I randomly feel the need to eat takeaway steak.

The funny thing, he study cine and he knows that when he download movies he is not helping the industry, same industry he want to be part of. Of course many directors and people inside the movie industry download movies, but there is a difference between downloading indiscriminately when you could help, to just download what you can't reach.

Money is the lubrication on the gears of a happy life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Money is merely a tool. How a person uses it is what's important...but only to them. I had an GF who had a very high paying job & never wanted for anything she desired. But she hates helping others with her wealth. We'd argue because my job(s) actually put me on financial level close to her own, but I've always lived a very spartan existence. I mean, I do get the material things I desire. I'm not frugal at all. But I'm content with having the things that I really need before excessive spending and, I help those who are in need when I can. The money karmically comes back to me usually anyway. But this is they way I use money to make me happy.

My ex, while surrounded by material objects, is not emotionally happy at all. So I'd have to say that money...though it is important...it is not the most important thing in the world. How rich one's life is emotionally is the most important thing in the world. And having wealth? It can make one happy, sure. But only if its used in a way that is not selfish. You don't have save every 3rd world kid that Sally Struthers is pimping, rather just share a little of that happiness with others who don't have it.

I remember this homeless guy downtown asking for money for a bite to eat. It was winter & he looked real crappy. I'd just got paid. Didn't have any cash, but I had my card. I took the dude to Subway & bought us both subs sat down & ate with him. During our meal, he admitted he was trying to get money for alcohol, but was happy that I got him something to eat & would repay me when he saw me again. I thought nothing of the matter but the next day, he came running up with $5 in change trying to pay me for the sub! I didn't take it, but it made me feel good to help him out & be repaid with honesty sincerity from my fellow man.