Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What's your idea for a game?

Merchants should be able to put a summon to sell stuffs on town.

What would stop the miner to sell without the need of the merchant? Also you need to put a blacksmith in here (the most important job).

Well, the miner could travel across the map to sell goods, but it'd take them a long time, and they'd probably make more money by spending their time mining. Assuming they can mine an iron bar per minute, and the iron bars sell for 3gp in the town where they're abundant, they'd need to be more expensive by a factor of 1/minute. So if you can sell iron bars for 15gp in a town that's a 5-minute round trip away, you'd break even. If they sell for less, you make less money in relation to time.

On the other hand, merchants would buy in bulk, making the amount of time it'd take them to mine a certain quantity immaterial: if they buy 200 iron bars for 3gp then resell them all for 15gp, they make a profit of 2400gp. I imagine you could institute weight limits to make it practical to trade only if you have the correct equipment to do so (horse and cart?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Very interesting...I'm liking this 3-sector economy idea. Of course, in order for merchants to be effective a transportation system will have to be in place. I suggest that, in order to avoid too much downtime, players should have productive things to do whilst travelling (other than being attacked by bandits). But that's another story.

I'm still seeing an issue though. When I create a character, I see these options at the moment: Adventurer, Merchant, Farmer, Miner. The first two are far more interesting and attractive to new players. To counter this, some element of combat would probably be allocated to the farmer and miner: farmers combat widelife, which has poor intelligence compared to humans and human AI but is naturally stronger, while miners would have to deal with similar dangers to merchants (bandits, competing miners, etc.)

But where does this leave the middle tier of production? How exciting can playing as a sewer, a blacksmith, or a chef really be? I'm not criticizing, by the way, simply posing questions to progress the creative process.

The game should start with adventurer, so you can "test" those jobs doing quests. And for Merchants, you can solve any problem giving them a summon/npc to sell things while they travel.

The problem is that it can become repetitive and you need to find a way to make farmer and miner as exiting as the merchant or blacksmith.

Why not just ditch the adventurer as a class altogeather? It's not as crazy as it sounds; The game which Minecraft is based on, Infiniminer, actually had competative aspects, but they were later ditched by the creator when he realised people prefered to just create things. Thus, the former was inspired.

Spawning enemy creatures, on the other hand, should totally remain. They just become a problem that the town must deal with collectively, probally via some type of town militia. Which is the point of the game in the first place, right?

Just my two cents.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Why not just ditch the adventurer as a class altogeather? It's not as crazy as it sounds; The game which Minecraft is based on, Infiniminer, actually had competative aspects, but they were later ditched by the creator when he realised people prefered to just create things. Thus, the former was inspired.

Spawning enemy creatures, on the other hand, should totally remain. They just become a problem that the town must deal with collectively, probally via some type of town militia. Which is the point of the game in the first place, right?

Just my two cents.
    Good points, both by you and Clock. I mean, back in ye old times everyone knew how to fight in some way, be they miner, farmer, merchant, whatever. So everyone can get in on the fighting and combat, and those who choose can elect to dedicate themselves solely to this art. They lose the benefits of resources or crafts that the other roles receive, but get opportunities to fine-tune their combat with special training, and can hire themselves out as guards or mercenaries. Meanwhile, farmers, miners, blacksmiths, crafters, etc. still have a role to play in defending themselves and their friends in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Good points, both by you and Clock. I mean, back in ye old times everyone knew how to fight in some way, be they miner, farmer, merchant, whatever. So everyone can get in on the fighting and combat, and those who choose can elect to dedicate themselves solely to this art. They lose the benefits of resources or crafts that the other roles receive, but get opportunities to fine-tune their combat with special training, and can hire themselves out as guards or mercenaries. Meanwhile, farmers, miners, blacksmiths, crafters, etc. still have a role to play in defending themselves and their friends in combat.
    Naa, not everyone could. Mining, Farming and Fighting were specializations that not everyone could do. If you were a farmer and you wanted to be a soldier, you would have probably die or become a milice, which mean you would be the meat to be killed first. While a warrior trying to understand the cycles of harvesting would die at not understanding why everything was dying.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Naa, not everyone could. Mining, Farming and Fighting were specializations that not everyone could do. If you were a farmer and you wanted to be a soldier, you would have probably die or become a milice, which mean you would be the meat to be killed first. While a warrior trying to understand the cycles of harvesting would die at not understanding why everything was dying.
    What I mean is every dude and his brother had a sword or hatchet stored somewhere in case they had to defend themselves. I'm not suggesting interchangeable roles, I'm just suggesting everyone gets a cut of the action. A soldier isn't going to learn how to farm, but maybe a farmer needs to grab a weapon and fend off some NPC baddies. It's better than paying $50 or a monthly subscription just to plant seeds and sell corn.

The other alternative is to provide lots of entertaining ways to spend your surplus money. If farmers can only farm and don't get to fight, they need some aspect of the game to entertain the player. It would be cool if, for instance, your farmer or miner could sponsor a soldier to fight in competitions, which would create a whole other dimension to the game and make the resource and crafting focused roles more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    What I mean is every dude and his brother had a sword or hatchet stored somewhere in case they had to defend themselves. I'm not suggesting interchangeable roles, I'm just suggesting everyone gets a cut of the action. A soldier isn't going to learn how to farm, but maybe a farmer needs to grab a weapon and fend off some NPC baddies. It's better than paying $50 or a monthly subscription just to plant seeds and sell corn.

The other alternative is to provide lots of entertaining ways to spend your surplus money. If farmers can only farm and don't get to fight, they need some aspect of the game to entertain the player. It would be cool if, for instance, your farmer or miner could sponsor a soldier to fight in competitions, which would create a whole other dimension to the game and make the resource and crafting focused roles more entertaining.
    Naa, they need a Blacksmith and he is not going to make a sword for a peasant who doesn't know how to use it, and if he does, he is going to give you a piece of shit that its pretty unbalanced. The only advantages are Axes, which are the reason why "barbaric" groups could fight against the romans (they use axes and when they defeated their enemy they pick the well made sword).

That's why the Blacksmith is so important, without him you don't have axes, swords, pickaxes, shields, nails, etc.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Naa, they need a Blacksmith and he is not going to make a sword for a peasant who doesn't know how to use it, and if he does, he is going to give you a piece of shit that its pretty unbalanced. The only advantages are Axes, which are the reason why "barbaric" groups could fight against the romans (they use axes and when they defeated their enemy they pick the well made sword).

That's why the Blacksmith is so important, without him you don't have axes, swords, pickaxes, shields, nails, etc.
    Clock, we aren't going for medieval realism here. Otherwise players are going to log onto the game, click create-a-charater, and see this:

Soldier: Exceptional at combat, gets to travel the world using powerful weapons and equipment and protecting the lives of others while gaining glory. A member of the upper class and highly respected.

Farmer: You get to grow crap on your tiny plot of land all day, and sell it to people so they can go off and have real fun. You're a worthless peasant and people treat you like dirt.

Players who select farmer and miner deserve an equally enjoyable, although vastly different, experience as those who pick soldiers. If that doesn't happen, you have an overpopulated, starving, armorless soldier class--despite the efforts of the ten poor souls who chose farmer and miner.