Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your idea for a game?

From what I understand Mass Effect 3 is gonna have different endings so you're too late guy

Different endings is a start, but my idea is that your choices affect the ENTIRE story. Who your enemy is, who your friends are, and who your character is going to be smooching on in the final movie clip.

THAT'S the kind of RPG I'd like to play! One where the whole story will never be the same twice; unless you pick the same choices over and over again.
    You've been CHARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyagal85 View Post
    Different endings is a start, but my idea is that your choices affect the ENTIRE story. Who your enemy is, who your friends are, and who your character is going to be smooching on in the final movie clip.

THAT'S the kind of RPG I'd like to play! One where the whole story will never be the same twice; unless you pick the same choices over and over again.
    So you want a game that it can be another different game?

Did you ever read those Goosebump books where the narrator is you and you have your two friends who always talk you into doing something that would get you killed? In those books at the bottom of the page you are given two options. You choose one and continue until you die. Example:
    You are in a carnival at night before the carnival opens. You and your two friends sneak into the carnival. Your friend Bob says, "Let's ride the Haunted Mansion." Carrie disagrees and says, "Nah, let's go to the Fun House!" They look at you for your answer. At the bottom of the page it gives you two choices. "Go to the Fun House, turn to page 45." "Go to the Haunted Mansion, turn to page 103."
    Pretty much what you choose tells the story. Either way, it's RL Stine so your going to die. (LOL)

My idea for an RPG would be similar, except you are not turning pages. Your decisions will determine what happens in the story.

You see your old friend, Morphias, running away with a glittering, gold box in his hand. You believe that the box may contain the cursed gem that you are seeking, but you are not sure. You are given two choices. "Follow Morphias" or "Leave him and his golden box alone."

If you chose to follow Morphias, you save him from being possessed by the dark spirit in the gem and transforming into your enemy, then he joins you on your quest. If you chose to leave him alone, he'll of course be cursed and become your enemy.

That's what I mean. The game will be filled with these questions and all of them will affect the game's story. The game will never be the same unless you always give the same answer.
    You've been CHARMED!

Tbh it would probably be easier to work with procedurally-generated characters with simple qualities to them and opinions. You'd have to have very simple responses, but you could have a tangled web of interactions based on characters' opinions. For example, Lord Snootypants could be pompous, which Lady Ramsbottom despises. As the player interacts with her, they have the option of moaning about Lord Snootypants' pomposity with her. However, if Lady Ramsbottom is particularly talkative, then she may speak to her son, Mr. Ramsbottom, about your opinion of Snootypants. Mr. Ramsbottom is engaged to Miss Snootypants, and tells her about your opinion of her father; word reaches Lord Snootypants and his wife about your supposed dislike of him (though you may simply have been agreeing with Lady Ramsbottom to garner her favour), and Lord Snootypants becomes irate with you, foiling your plans to seduce the younger Miss Snootypants, the former's sister.

Interesting social interactions; court intrigue. I think you'd be hard-pressed to integrate this system into a more traditional game though.

EDIT: I think my Christmas Day binge of Jeeves & Wooster is showing through
    Last edited by Delphinus; 12-25-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

A game where you are a banana that can fire itself out of its peel to elude monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    A game where you are a banana that can fire itself out of its peel to elude monkeys
    It sounds like my sexual life.

A grass growing simulator.

Fenn
    A presidential campaign simulator. Choose from preset classes, which would be your personal history (lawyer, businessman, politician, etc.), select different social scenarios with different issues, and try to be elected president. Hire campaign staff, work on ads, have debates with other candidates, etc. If you win, you get to manage the country for a few years. Either way, when reelection comes your actions the years prior will affect the public opinion of you.

Play through a long single-player (literal) campaign, play custom campaigns, or try your luck online with the multiplayer election mode, where you manage your campaign over several real days against other players.

On the choose your own narrative game: The trouble with making a game like that comes from making the choices seem meaningful in the context of the game. In a book the author just writes why you should care either way, or maybe just leaves it as an open choice. In games its more difficult. If a game is too open ended you might feel like there is no real point in doing things one way or the other. Thats why a lot of games that allow for choice divide the options into a sort of 'good' or 'evil' grouping. It gives the player a greater sense of meaning with what they are choosing to do.