Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most awkward, enjoyable or worst moments with other artists.

Yeah that's pretty much been the norm for my teachers my whole life except in private school the teachers there were twats

One of my friends sits across from me in art class. He's good at drawing and all, but we disagree on one major aspect of art:

Reference and life drawing.

He thinks reference has no place in art, and that true art should always be from imagination. I believe that reference and life drawings are essential parts of an artist's growth and that drawing "from the heart" should come after the artist has a solid foundation in the basics (or while s/he is learning the basics). Two other people sit at our table. One sides with him and the other sides with me. I'm willing to accept that I may be wrong, but I doubt the old masters were wrong when they drew from life pretty much every day.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    The old masters practically traced, that's how they were able to achieve such realism. I learned this when I took my last art appreciation class, I forgot exactly hat period it was, but they had used these boxes which reflected a picture back at them, and then they basically drew/painted over that. Meh, I forgot most of it.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    I hated my drawing 1 class at jc. It was just a class that you had to take to get to the other art classes and I was ostracized. I apperently made the newbs around me feel bad about their skill level so they refused to partner with me or sit by me.

The teacher was ok but he kept pushing for me to become an art major and would be like "you don't want to be a culinary major. You know how much sweat is in their food?" "wow you could make a living at this. Just switch to an art major and we can get the rolling." we would be doing an assignment and he's come whisper to me "Show them how it's done." I couldn't ask the other people if he was pressing them to be art majors because I didn't know anyone but I'm sure he was.

Most other meetings are pleasant enough and like an exchange of ideas and exp. one of the guys I work with is trying to make a manga.
    Last edited by Psy; 02-10-2012 at 03:46 AM.

You should tell him about the site. I'm sure he'd not only be appreciative, but he would find a niche community of friends here to talk to. And the traffic is always good for Rio.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy
    what did u draw that they thought was so awful? :x
    I got Fs because they said I "display a technical mastery" but don't draw with any "emotion." Or something. I don't know; I think my dismembered body images were fairly indicative of how I was feeling. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    I bet its something including bones and skull's
    Yeah, that. Severed heads. Blood, lots of that. Hands screwed to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    That is retarded. But well, you know you did nothing wrong; the sketchbook is personal.
    Well, it was my course sketchbook, meaning that I turned it in for evaluation every two weeks. /shrug

Oh, come on. Classical art is filled with blood and violence. Failing someone for drawing that in art class is like denying artistic heritage.

You should show us that picture. I can't think of what good it'd do, but if it's something that got you, of all people, sent to the principal's office--well, I'm curious now.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    The old masters practically traced, that's how they were able to achieve such realism. I learned this when I took my last art appreciation class, I forgot exactly hat period it was, but they had used these boxes which reflected a picture back at them, and then they basically drew/painted over that. Meh, I forgot most of it.
    Oh I remember this from my art history class the camera obscura! ^_^

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Hahaha, yes, thanks for refreshing my memory.

Yeah, I only make friends with people who draw, pretty much. Most of my friends are chill, but there's this one dude who talks to me everyday and I don't know why. I mean, he just talks about 3d modeling and dragon age.

Oh, but seriously, most of my drawing friends irl make me draw when I'm around them. I apparently don't draw enough. One of them wants me to attract the worst of the worst weeaboos so I can have some weeaboo horror happen. I'm all for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI