Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you like to debate?

Sir-Mass-a-Lot
    You are my inspiration! To the fullest extent I shall endure my rigorous training! For Orzammar!

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Because it's fun?
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

In a political, religious, or philosophical debate, it's because I want a) to understand the other side's opinion and b) I want the other side to understand my opinion. If I join a debate after reading both sides and agree and disagree with parts of both, I'll try to present the neutral opinion.
    In debates about comic/game/story/movie design, I only ever debate to learn (more like just asking questions).

Those are the main reasons, and my others are very similar to Delph's. I'm never comfortable with my own opinions if I never analyze the other side because there's always a nagging feeling that I might be missing vital evidence that contradicts my side.

I'll back out of a debate very quickly if my opponent doesn't even want to hear my side, though. If s/he starts picking apart legitimate arguments and making strawman statements out of them or just picks one part of my argument to answer and ignores the rest, I decide that it's probably not worth continuing and each post I contribute is a few minutes I could be spending doing something constructive.

Does making up debates with imaginary people in your head count?

Makes driving more bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrobit View Post
    Does making up debates with imaginary people in your head count?
    Important question. Yeah It makes life "easier".

I don't know that I really do like debating, at least not heated ones. I prefer 'discussions' where no one is really arguing. I guess the only reason I ever really get into a debate is because I don't like it when people have this attitude of "I'm right about everything and I'll take the hardline about this issue regardless of what anyone else thinks, I'll just repeat my arguement over and over" I always feel like I need to intervene just to say, hey, you're not the only one with a logical and valid opinion and there are some things you're not correct about. Particularly if they are flat out ignoring what other people are saying. I also like to say something if I notice someone with an opposing point is having trouble articulating it. I dunno if its helpful or just annoys everyone though :/

Fenn
    I debate to be proven wrong, basically. Every time I find myself on the losing end of a debate I end up with a great deal of newfound knowledge and insight. This is likely why I so often end up taking up a contrary position on so many topics; it's hard to debate when you agree, and I'm always looking at the other side of the argument.

I've probably learned more here than almost anywhere else but school simply because I've been pounded over and over again by various members here, but every time the defeat comes with a new perspective that I'll willingly trade for pride any day.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I discover myself only debating social justice-y stuff (cultural appropriation, rape culture, etc), so it looks like the reason why I debate is to make the minority voice heard. /shrug Obviously I step out if I'm not being heard though.

Never thought about it until now.

Sir-Mass-a-Lot
    Sadomasochists itt.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Eh, not really.