Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you like to debate?

Why do you like to debate?

Honest question here: why do you like to debate? Do you just like to share knowledge, or feel triumph? What is your own logic behind it?

I've noticed that the smallest of things can bring up a lot of heated feelings. Most of the time, I sit back, and think, primarily because I don't always feel the need to waste my breath/energy on forums if something is really that explosive.

The way I figure it, I simply say my peace and leave it at that most of the time. I'm always up for a discussion, though, but I'm not particularly interested in the, "I'm right, you're wrong and that's all there is to it" sort of threads. I find hearing other people's views can bring insight and knowledge, so long as they are cited correctly.

So, are you the type of person that just likes to discuss, or are you more into proving your point and contending strongly? What's the difference to you? Or is there no difference at all? Is arguing just arguing? Or is it more about the feeling behind it?

It helps me think through my ideas and acts as a litmus test for my opinions. If there's a strong argument that I find it difficult to respond to, then I either have to accept that argument or work out why it's wrong. I think it's healthy to have my opinions constantly challenged, because it avoids the sort of stagnation of ideas that you get in closed communities or internet hugboxes.

I'm also pretty competitive and enjoy winning debates, but only if the competition's strong. Defeating strong opponents is much more satisfying than beating weaker ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I don't really like to debate, so to speak. I just like to say whatever happens to be on my mind on that subject, and see what I can get out of people. It's amusing for the most part, but I stay out of other things, especially the ones that get proven over and over and over, AND OVER, and nobody seems to get it through their damned head.

IN IMAGES, DEBATES I LIKE

DEBATES I DON'T LIKE (kodos vs. newcomer)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Kodos vs. anyone

If it's something that I actually care/know anything about/have an opinion on, I find debates fun. Its good to be challenged, and can make you think more about why you think your argument is the best, as well as opening up to things you might not have thought of before (on both sides of the argument), Sometimes I kinda take the opposite viewpoint to what I actually think just for teh lulz and also to see what other points are made.

I like debates to have fun, if I'm trolling or what ever my only goal is to have fun with what the other person says or I say.

I like to DESTROY PEOPLE WHO STAND IN MY WAY.

But seriously I only ever debate stuff I care about which right now is really only game design. Yeah sometimes I'm basically smacking around people who don't have a chance but I usually am pretty sincere in that I want to discuss things.

I debate because I hope to one day achieve the insurmountably high level of perfectioned manipulation over word and phrase as my master has trained himself to have, and with ease at that on my behalf!

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Never give up, Grasshopper.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!