Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ACTA: How to destroy humanity and freedom of speech.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    TBH, I doubt the government is stupid enough (yes, I doubt our government is stupid) to arrest every single person that pirates. When you think about copyright crackdowns, they've only taken place when a significant portion of bandwidth is dedicated to the traffic of pirated media (Napster, WinNy, Megaupload, Kazaa). So, in the end, SOPA would not have ended pirating. It would've just made it slightly more difficult. At best, we'd see major file-sharing and P2P services closed down, a few dozen people arrested, and more muted videos on Youtube. And copyrights aren't about profit, they're about royalties. If you're making any kind of money off of another person's IP, they are entitled to a certain cut. So even if they aren't making profit off the direct sale of a product, they are guaranteed some form of reimbursement. And, believe it or not, people do make tons of money off of web traffic. Where it goes, nobody knows, but it exists.

As for the whole "couldn't afford it" thing. I can't really sympathize. I mean copyright/trademark/patent laws have existed for the longest time. We've been warned about them constantly. So it's not like we're blindsided by all of this. I think people are very aware of the potential consequences of things they do, they just don't care until the rules are being enforced.

But yeah, like I said, as an artist, I can respect the desire to protect one's IP. I mean didn't we have a thread on old MT about how creative commons didn't fully protect artists' IP and everyone was like pissed off and now we're mad cuz other people are trying to protect their creative assets.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Either way, they're shelved for now. The new thing is OPEN. Which is better to some degree at least.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

You know. They really need to get over this fucking four letter acronym thing.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Technically it should be OPEDTA, but that's much more annoying. And OPEN sounds like a nice thing, even if it actually isn't. It's all part of the politics.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Well, it seems that ACTA is getting a bit more "popular".
    Just read an article about it on Destructoid, claiming it would only affect the EU.
    One other thing that's quitte peculiar is that Obama actually signed ACTA. I'm sorry, what?
    Meaning that his veto against SOPA/PIPA was probably meant to be possibly re-elected.

Just a little sidenote, you guys did sign petitions against ACTA, right?

EDIT:

And what do you know, companies are taking rights into own hands.
    just take a look at this:

Now, to be clear. Fan art is legal to produce and sell as long as it is reasonably different from the source material. The wording is pretty vague and open to interpretation but, generally speaking, if it's your own art work then you're fine. Further, quotes can be placed on items and sold as much as you want. You can't copyright quotes. Since it's so vague, even copyright nazis like Disney send warnings before they send lawyers.

Well, now that we have that all set up. Let's get to the meat of the matter. EA, apparently, heard about Etsy. A site where art and crafts are sold. To celebrate the up coming Mass Effect 3 game, they went onto Etsy and did a search for Mass Effect. They then demanded Etsy take down every single item. It didn't matter the content, subject, legal or not, if it was a button that said "Mass Effect sux", if it had the tag Mass Effect it was demanded to be removed. Proving... yet again... if there's a chance to be douche bags, EA is there.

As Etsy becomes more popular, more companies are doing this. Just recently, CBS carpet bombed anything to do with The Office. A friend of ours found this out when their item, a button that said "That's what she said" was a fatality in said carpet bombing. Further, the Etsy lawyer was extremely rude to her when she attempted to dispute it. Even though it says IN the Etsy guidelines that quotes are legal.

Fox did the same last month for anything to do with Futurama.
    source: The Escapist forums

On another sidenote: several downloading sites have been taken offline.
    These are: Fileserve, Uploaded, Filepost, Hotfile, 4shared and Mediafire.

And as a bonus, a video from everyone's favorite gamereviewer, Jim Sterling.

Last edited by Hell_Baron; 01-23-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Baron View Post
    Well, it seems that ACTA is getting a bit more "popular".
    Just read an article about it on Destructoid, claiming it would only affect the EU.
    One other thing that's quitte peculiar is that Obama actually signed ACTA. I'm sorry, what?
    Meaning that his veto against SOPA/PIPA was probably meant to be possibly re-elected.

Just a little sidenote, you guys did sign petitions against ACTA, right?

EDIT:

And what do you know, companies are taking rights into own hands.
    just take a look at this:

source: The Escapist forums

On another sidenote: several downloading sites have been taken offline.
    These are: Fileserve, Uploaded, Filepost, Hotfile, 4shared and Mediafire.

And as a bonus, a video from everyone's favorite gamereviewer, Jim Sterling.

Wait a sec, Mediafire was taken offline? Doesn't seem like it.

I'm all up for the moon thing at this point.

I don't see how that makes EA douchebags. Mass Effect, the title, is a trademark of EA and if someone is using the appeal of the "Mass Effect" franchise to sell products, then it's an issue. If I sold a T-shirt with Mass Effect characters on it, people will most likely buy the shirt because it's automatically associated with EA's product. So essentially I'm riding on the wave of ME's popularity to peddle my own goods, but pocketing the cash. It's like those guys who sell bootlegged team jerseys outside of the superbowl.

Though the "that's what she said" thing is dumb as hell because that existed way before The Office. It's also something that can be used in multiple contexts, even purely expository. So copyrighting something like that shouldn't even be allowed due to vagueness.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 01-24-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Got some more vids for you guys. some really interesting shit.