Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: ACTA: How to destroy humanity and freedom of speech.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I hope you don't go through with the low score thing because the only reason many major corporations haven't gone on a piracy crusade is because they still manage to stay afloat/make profit off of what they do manage to sell. Lowering their sales is basically encouraging them to go to a piracy crusade.

Cype if there's one thing i've learned it's that you can't stop piracy.
    pirates will just move somewhere else and carry on with their business.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    You can't stop piracy, but you can make it so it happens less often. Unfortunately that requires making more jobs so that people actually have money (even though some are just outright lazy asses), and release more trials/demos of stuff like software, demos, etc. And well, the other way would be to lower the costs of some things (Pixologic, I'm looking at you), and make stuff more available through special offers (thank you, Autodesk, +1 to you guys.)
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

oh no, you can stop piracy. But I just doubt the government is willing to go that far.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    oh no, you can stop piracy. But I just doubt the government is willing to go that far.
    you don't know that.
    remember when people said pizza wasn't a vegetable?
    and look what happened. the thing is, as long as you give lots of money to the right people, you can basicly make anything happen.
    the only way to "stop" piracy is by offering a better service than any pirate can give, like free downloadable content or using a freemium product.

So the only way to stop piracy is to give people things for free...

Does that sound a little self-entitled?

And TBH would you really call piracy a 'service'? Theft is no a service. Companies are not obligated to compete with or facilitate theft. Why? Because theft is technically not supposed to exist.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 03-12-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Ugggh again with the piracy crap man

Isn't that what this thread is about?

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    So the only way to stop piracy is to give people things for free...

Does that sound a little self-entitled?

And TBH would you really call piracy a 'service'? Theft is no a service. Companies are not obligated to compete with or facilitate theft. Why? Because theft is technically not supposed to exist.
    Yes and no. Freemium is basicly making a game free to play and allowing the player to choose wheter the want to pay for certain content, something like what TF2 has going on. sure it might not stop piracy, but that product will become less likely to be pirated. now i'm not saying every company should use this method of disribution, but it's a interesting concept nonetheless.

And yes, technically piracy is not a service, but hear me out on this one.
    you know how most games these days have DRM? well, supposedly this is meant to reduce piracy but fails miserably at it (well except for steam, maybe) take the Ubisoft DRM fiasco for example, when they announced they where going to switch servers and that this wouldn't affect gamers, the exact opposite happened. the result? dozens of games where basicly unplayable because the DRM software required a constant connection with that server, to wich it for some reason could not connect to. THAT is bad service. so a lot gamers naturaly wanted to be able to play the games they bought with their hard-earned money, so some of them resulted to piracy. why? because pirated versions of those games do not have drm in them that requires a constant internet connection with a server, and even if you lose your internet connection you can keep playing. that is better service than the shitty DRM Ubisoft offered.

What you have to do is offer the people something that piracy doesn't. like selling products with free extra content for a short period of time, put products on sale for a limited period of time, or in the case of The Humble Indy Bundle; let the customer decide the amount of money they're willing to pay. besides that it's perfectly legal.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're missing the point. A company doesn't need to compete with piracy because piracy is not supposed to happen. You're basically saying that companies need to compromise with people who are threatening to steal their products if they don't get a good deal. That's totally backwards. If a guy asked for my wallet, am I supposed to offer him something more valuable so he won't steal it? No, because he's not supposed to be trying to mug me in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pirate, too, but let's not try to rationalize it. It makes us look like entitled babies.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 03-13-2012 at 04:26 AM.