Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex's House of MehDiocrity (AHOM)

Alex's House of MehDiocrity (AHOM)

Here is my first drawing. I know it isn't that good. I used pencil and colored pencil cuz i don't have any fancy software.

I cannot say that's a piece of art, but all I can say is that you are off with a good start. You can certainly draw, and have a good attention to details - I specifically like the nose.

Draw more, and see how will you get accustomed. Progress.

thanks i am currently working on another one, and its looking better so far.

Well, here's my next attempt. I drew this one up last night, then colored it in with paint.net (a substitute for photoshop)
    Here we go

You're off to a good start. As with anyone that's getting going you just need to work on proportion. One thing in particular that I noticed was the placement of the eyes. Eyes are one of the most important parts of the face and its placement and shape can really affect the expression and feeling of the face.

Some good general rules to follow at first is to place the eyes about 1/2 of the way from the bottom (anime/manga artists usually go between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way from the bottom). If you are going for realism or semi-realism you should make sure that there is one eye width between them and usually the head size is 5 eye widths apart. From the eyebrow line you can determine the nose (half the distance between the chin and eyebrow) and mouth lines (half the distance from the nose to the chin).

It's annoying to remember at first but there's some good guides on the site to read through if you want more info. It's just one of those things you need to practice correctly until it becomes automatic. Hope that helps some. Keep drawing and I'm sure you'll keep improving.

Thanks, i'm currently working on a quarter view drawing, so i'll keep this stuff in mind.

Ok, i have my next drawing done. I downloaded GIMP and toyed around with that for the coloring/shading.

ok, i have decided that i am not going to color my drawings due to the annoying shading process that i suck at. until i can draw good without the shading, i am going to only submit b&w drawings.

That's a good idea. It's easy to get hung up on coloring. If you have strong line art then coloring gets a lot easier. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking to do a lot of sketching, preferably with pencil and not on the computer. My reason for that being that it's better practice since you can't just undo/transform/etc. to fix things.

*stands up on his soapbox*
    The first thing you should probably decide on is what your goals are. Your goals will define how and what you practice. Goals give you an endpoint to strive for and something to measure your progress against. This is something that everyone should do regardless of whether their just starting out or a professional. Everyone can improve at something and goals are part of that process. *gets down from the soap box*

thanks for the tips.
    goals huh.
    well,
    1: my goal is to be able to draw manga to the quality levels seen in proffessional manga by this time next year.
    2: to be able to draw anything with a high degree of quality so as to assist in game design and game art in 2 years.
    3: to be able to color using computer media to a high quality in 3 years.

i wanna make games as my career, luckily i am still in high school, so i want to be an excellent artist by the time i leave high school (2 years)