View Poll Results: Have I Improved So Far?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: TAG's Art and Critique Thread!

Looks really good the things I notice are that; the hood could fall a bit more down her head and shouldn't look so rounded, this gives me the impression that her hair is like an afro under there. Her legs could be thickened a bit, particularly the thighs, I think this is due to the pretty large gap you have made between her legs, reducing the gap it a little bit could fix it. Her arms I think are a nice width however they are looking like boxes, yes she is wearing a hoodie, but I would expect a subtle difference in width. Her neck is pretty thin, however this is more a stylistic thing. Finally, she looks like she's standing on her tip toes, in that pose I can imagine that being pretty hard unless you are a contortionist :L

It's really good to see that you moved her leg to compensate for the center of gravity and I love the way you have drawn the hoodie. Keep up the good work
    The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day.

I believe your drawing style is to have really big faces. Because your faces are so large compared to the head size, it makes the head appear larger than it actually is, and therefore, makes the body appear too small. I going to suggest you draw smaller/shorter faces (eyes are only vertically halfway up on the head) to help your anatomy and make your picture more balanced. I hope this helps!

Sorry,been busy.
    Trying to figure out How to do poses where a person bends over....Would there hips go up,what?I had an idea of what it would look like but Idk if I going in the right path or what...

Also,I couldnt help but to do the "U" shaped shoulders,to me...it makes females look more feminine....I also never really arased my basis sketch so you could see exacltly what I did,Ill do this for now on until I feel I dont need to anymore....Give detailed critiques and redlines(If u can)...I like trying to fix my mistakes,moving forward,and getting better

SPOILER! :

*Also,I tried to fix the face thing like people said in previous post,so I kinda made the face components a bit smaller :O

What I would try to do is adopt a manikin frame if you don't allready, it should help with drawing poses such as leaning over or sitting down or just about anything, also I suggest using references for a while until you fully understand what the body looks like when hunched over or whatever pose it is in. Personally I find living models much more natural but you could also use Posemaniacs or Manga/Anime as well.

There is nothing wrong with 'U' shaped shoulders, but you do need to know when they apply, which is usually when the shoulders have been raised by shrugging and sometimes when the arms have been held behind their back. I can send you a link to a picture I drew of an appropriate time to use it if you want.

Oh also before I critique I wouldn't get too worried about this 'bending' pose, instead try to work your way up the tree. master something simpler first, I notice you do a lot of straight sketches, I would suggest adding some diversity like trying 3/4 or profile because although it's good practice and you will improve but you're not experiencing other poses which by practicing will also make everything improve

Anyway the things I notice is that the eyes are on different level, made obvious by the guidelines you used and the ear placement. The arms are very box like and linear, try to emphasise the collection of muscles at the top of the arm and also don't make the arms too thick or they will adopt a masculine appearance. Also still on the subject of arms. The top of the lower arm doesn't bulk up at the joint, instead it continues to thin. Here is a rough sketch I drew for VF a while back which will show my point:

Last point, is that the hair is atached straight to the skull. Make sure to leave a gap between the skull and the hair as in reality there is skin and a mass of hair in between.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 08-20-2012 at 05:12 AM.

thats called foreshortening..its important to understand the basic shapes and volumes that make up the figure and how they are drawn in perspective first. overlapping plays a very crucial role when it comes to foreshortening..argh i really suck at explaining stuff .__.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqxMMEUvtJc
    hope this helps :]

but as demon mentioned u should slowly work your way up the tree. one thing at a time

Ok,thanks guys...Yeah and I'll work on the arms,Ive noticed that but whenever ive done it before they looked more like man arms,lol

My next drawing will have 2/4 view Ill go abit slower with my drawings for now on

Oh yeah that's what I forgot to mention, foreshortening. That video Al posted up is very good at explaining but if you feel you need to master such a skill simple with objects such as basic things found in the house like cups, vases, wardrobes etc and then work your way up to more complicated stuff like arms and legs (examples: sitting, kneeling, reaching out etc) then once you can do that then try whole poses. This way you build up your skills and make the learning process much easier. Also don't expect to be an expert after a couple of studies. I've conducted many studies and I'm still on very basic foreshortened poses where only one or two limbs are being foreshortened, but with time and practice you will become much better at it

Quote Originally Posted by -Al View Post
    I love you for posting that video

guys, vilppu is a beautiful soul, check out all of his stuff

Ok...So I did this the night of your guys's answers so if I didnt put any of your advice into this pic then thats why lol.

Though I am slowly trying to do more views and perspectives with more or less the head itself.As you can see in the picture her head is slightly tilted left,idk if this would be considered 3/4 perspective but whatever lol.Im trying to break out of more of my "forward" poses and branch out to diffrent poses and more perspectives etc.

As to my learning style,I know most people do things one thing at a time and progressively challenge their selves and take it a step further,but I find that method....well...not for me...I tend to learn better,and faster - with practicing things I might be a ble to do,and even though I might not get the hang of the concept im trying to learn,I try and get feedback to correct my self and understand why its wrong and such,this is how I learn as an individual along with visual learnings such as videos pictures,etc.This is just so people who critic me know how I learn lol

Also,the sketch was based on a police outfit...

SPOILER! :

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    It isn't too bad. The costume is pretty well drawn. Your arms and legs lack proper anatomy, making them seem really simple. But as a style choice that's fine. Just make sure that's what it is.

The foreshortening though, it seems like because of how far the hand is from her body (horizontally, not forwards), it gives the impression that the arm is bent at the elbow and the forearm is coming forward. The issue is that the hand is too large to only be as far forward as one forearms length, which makes it seem odd.
    "The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."

-Victor Hugo