View Poll Results: Have I Improved So Far?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TAG's Art and Critique Thread!

Hi there :3 Nice to see you're still working. Thought I'd drop by and see if I could critique a little bit.

Okay, I like the character design first off. He's pretty cool looking, and I like the stubble. I also think most of the shading (value, whateve) is good.

The perspective is a bit off. Before reading your post, I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be flying (like a superman coming at ya) or if we were looking down. Which I figured it out after I read. I think it's good you're experimenting with forshortening. Now you just need to work on the proportions whilst doing said pose. I'm not very good with it myself, so here's a couple pictures I looked up (they aren't the best examples, but they should help a bit.)

SPOILER! :

The shades are done very well. I also like that you're adding the character's personality with details like the earring I wish I could be more helpful on the weaponry, but alas, I can't give much advice other than to look a lot of different images of guns and swords. You know already googl-ing is the best way to get examples of that :3

Good luck! You're doing good!
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Thanks for the critique Blue_Dragon.Very helpful...lol

Ive been away from this site for awhile,and have improved much more...though I still have troubles here and there lol.

Anyways,here is my newest dilemma for those who want to bite on this

SPOILER! :

ABOUT THE PICTURES -

So ive been trying to figure out,why I can draw an anime character but its so dang hard to draw in poses with the right or a satisfying proportion system.The funny thing is,when I draw,I remember the basics,but dont really go by a system that works every time.Kinda just a "Oh,ha...it works" one time and then a "Dang it...WTF did I do wrong" kinda thing...

So here I have 5 different styles of proportions around 7 - 7 and a half Heads....

Im trying to find a proportion system that looks balanced and one that looks still accurate.

See,I like 7 Heads much more than 7 and a half...Ive also studied the different characters from popular mangas like One Piece,Bleach,etc...

But my taste go more towards a Fairy Tail,Naruto-ish kind of styled proportions rather than One piece,or Bleach's 7 1/2 heads style....

So someone help me out and help me figure out what I should do about this....Just trying to find something that works when it comes to proportions,etc...

Thanks.

-Tag654

For a higher resolution check it out here on my deviantart....

http://kingfromhatena.deviantart.com...nted-298115603
    Last edited by tag654; 04-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tag654 View Post

So ive been trying to figure out,why I can draw an anime character but its so dang hard to draw in poses with the right or a satisfying proportion system.The funny thing is,when I draw,I remember the basics,but dont really go by a system that works every time.Kinda just a "Oh,ha...it works" one time and then a "Dang it...WTF did I do wrong" kinda thing...
    I think you may have a misperception about other artists. Even professional artists have hundreds of sketches that don't live up to their expectations. Once you start getting proportions right, there will be other things that aren't satisfactory. In the end there is no system that allows you to get it right every time. Right now you are really focused on making sure that you have the correct proportions and that things follow a specific format. Instead of being worried about how many heads high the character is, maybe you should just focus on making drawings that you like to look at. If you don't like how a piece looks, step back and figure out why you don't like it. It may take a day or two away from the drawing to be able to see it. But as you continue practicing you start to have an easier time figuring out why a piece isn't working and eventually will avoid those problems altogether. But all of that requires just more drawing, study, and practice. I know it's annoying to keep hearing that, but its true.

Another thing I'd like to add: don't try to constrain yourself to a certain style or approach. As you draw more and more you'll find that you gravitate naturally towards what you find most appealing. Too many people worry about finding their style, but I think it's more of an unconscious process. It'll happen whether you want it to or not.

Sorry if this isn't as helpful a response as you may have hoped, but it really just comes down to a matter of experience and experience can only be built through practice.

Yes,totally understand where your coming from Nisaren.Lol,I guess I just got to get out that mind set.

Anyways,Without thinking like that,then I pose a more refined question.

Which figure is most anatomically correct?

None of them are better than the others really; you could study the ideal proportions, or even anatomy, but in the end that's probably not the reason why you have difficulties with believable poses. The right answer is perspective. Perspective as in how to create a projection of a three dimensional space on a two dimensional area. You seem to know your proportions and anatomy well enough, so I'd recommend you to work on perspective instead

I understand ^-^

I will see if I cant get my perspective training underway then,lol

SPOILER! :

This is just something for people to chew at,so yea,get ur critiquing on!!!

also her is the same thing,I just did some of it in SAI....

SPOILER! :

Have fun,Hope im improving!lol

The shorter figure is quite good, but I think in both cases, the area where the legs meet the hips is a little awkward. It's more noticeable for the taller girl though - her legs seem too far apart.

Actually, I've marked her shoulders in wrongly, so just ignore that part...

Thanks for the critique GAFF I really thought there would be more than this but I was suprised to see not much was wrong,so I find that I am iproving ever so slightly!lol

Finished up some character designs,feel free critique,and/or redline,this would be very helpful....I think Ive got Frontal anatomy down,but im very lost when it comes to perspective of the side....so yea,if you guys could help me with that,Id appreciate it!

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :