View Poll Results: Have I Improved So Far?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TAG's Art and Critique Thread!

Smile TAG's Art and Critique Thread!

IM trying to do full body sketches of my characters,the problem that comes up when I do this is the proportions...see....I try to do 7.5 heads styled proportions...but for some reason it dosent feel right...so I looked a 6 heads,which I have never really done before...and it seem to suit me a bit better,IDK?

Im posting this to:
    1.Get opinions on the difference between 7.5 heads and 6
    2.Critique please on anything you can find,even the face,hair,etc

Though its just a sketch,I love improving and one improves most when others tell them what they're doing wrong so yeah!!!XD

*Also,I someone could redline this,much appreciated!!!

- TAG

http://www.mangatutorials.com/index....view/critique/

Did this and kinda was wondering if 6 heads and proportions were good....so I....

I did the same picture except its :
    A basic outline,little bit smaller,different way... any good for 6 head proportion size? How about 7.5 heads,what would need to change?
    Last edited by tag654; 12-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.

If I recall correctly Tag, a female body is at the most 7 heads tall. The male bodies are from 7 1/2 to 8 heads tall, however female anatomy is smaller than males.

I've found that head size isn't as much a factor in making a woman look more feminine or a man more masculine. Head size is mainly good for helping to give an indication of physical development. A 5-6 heads tall character will look much younger than a 7 head tall character. There are a few tutorials out there talking about this - I know I've seen a chart in one of those How to Draw Manga books.

The thing I've found the most important in differentiating between sexes (aside from obvious features like breasts) is the shoulder to hips ratio. A feminine woman has at most a 1:1 shoulders to hip ratio - that means their shoulders are the same width as their hips, although making the hips larger than the shoulders is a great way to make for a sexier build. In addition, woman have softer curves in general.

Men are the opposite, their shoulders are wider than their hips in general. The wider the shoulders the more masculine he looks. In addition, men have more hard angles. This is evident in both the rib cage, shoulders, and face.

There are also a lot of other small things that bring out the femininity or masculinity. For example, females have more body fat than men and so it is less likely that you'll see well defined musculature on a woman. So someone that has rippling muscles will appear masculine.

So applying these ideas to your drawings - the biggest issue I can see with the first picture and why she looks less feminine is because of her hip to shoulder ratio. The angles of her hips and waist are also rather sharp which makes her appear more masculine. The second picture looks more feminine because your hip to shoulder ratio is closer to 1:1 and the curves are softer.

I can see about doing a quick red line to help show what I mean when I get back from work tonight.

Thumbs up Some Updates

Heres a update of some more proportion working,trying to find my balance in proportion....I really need help with this cuz this is like the only thing that is hard for me!XD

So I tried to do the 6 head thing,but un-fortunately...I either messed up,or am not one to use this!

7 heads,looked a bit odd,so I didnt like this either...again..it may just be me!XD

So I went down to 7 heads,and I think it works,though Im not sure.

and this is just some practice for me to see if 7 heads work for me though Im never really sure when it comes to proportion.

Ok so yeah thats all I have for now.I used a ruler for the first two,I think making 6 lines at 2 inches apart and did the prop. if this helps.
    The second two were like,3 centimeters at 7 lines so yeah...btw does anyone have a good structure for this,it seems the ruler is messing up my proportions... IDK

@nisaren yeah,sorry about the first one XD...didnt know where my ruler was...and yes a redline would be excellent....I think the only thing I dont get is the method for size with proportion,I make the head, then use a ruler and mark 6-7 lines and in the spaces I put the head numbers like 1-6,etc....and then I used this ref from deviantart

http://bittersweetdisease.deviantart...51501#/d41ivgd

so,if theres a way you think would be easier,I would love to try it!XD

I think the best way would be to just draw and not worry about exactly what you want your proportions to be. From looking at your last few drawings I'm not sure you are using your construction lines as much as you should. I always sketch in the head and then just make a few construction lines so that you have a basic stick figure. Using a stick figure is ideal for initial posing and proportion checking because it doesn't require much time to correct. At any rate, here's the redline I promised. I also threw in a couple quick examples. They're not perfect or anything but I hope it gets what I was saying across.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    I think Nisaren is right to some extent about just drawing and not worrying too much about the exact proportions. It's good when your getting the hang of things to practice drawing figures in the standard 7 head format, but in reality very few people meet this average, so they shoudn't in all your drawings either.

Generally for adult guys you want something between 7 and 8 heads, and for girls something between 6 and 7 heads. It will then vary depending on your stylistic preference, and should vary from character to character.

yes,you guys are right!XD
    so I inked this with pen,and shaded it,but I prob. need a redline of how to make it more feminine
    2 things that Ive already noticed though,the arms and the crouch area...every other area seems somewhat good,and how are proportions on this?I'm concerned the legs are too short but Idk!XD

BTW - would her hips have to be a bit wider?

Yeah,that crouch is really bugging me!failure....*hears crying*.....
    Last edited by tag654; 12-19-2011 at 12:19 AM.

There's definitely a few things going on with this picture. You're right about the crotch being off. The hips in general seem to be too low which would make the groin area lower than it should be. Her arms and forearms seem a little bit long and her hands a little bit small for the size of her body. Here's a quick redline that I drew up for you, it's not perfect but hopefully it helps.

yeah,those are the main areas I have to work on,the hips,arms/hands ,and feet.

I have a question though,How would I do a layout for bodies that are a bit less muscular,with females?Like how would I make a feminine body with larger breasts (because so far I see that in your redlines you have smaller breasts)? I find that when I tend to do this the proportion with the waist,hips,and thighs get messed up....:{