View Poll Results: Have I Improved So Far?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: TAG's Art and Critique Thread!

Along with what Scarlet said, you should be able to se parts of the foreshortened arm. Right now, it just looks like it's floating there.

Yea,I was thinking the same thing.I have the same problem everytime with foreshortening.Knowing which parts will be seen or not and sizes usually mess it up lol...

Oh and scarlet what did u mean when talking about the anatomy? Idc if it was something really small,id like to know almost anything u can visually see that's wrong so I may improve correctly

Teen Member
    Hey Tag,

i dunno if it's okay for me to "crit" your work or so, since im not really as good as you are, but i think i just tell you my opinion.
    Cause i think sometimes a "noobish" eye (dont know if this term fits here no offence) sees some things the Pros might not see or dont
    mention.

Well long Story short: I think the right Arm of your Policewoman (the one on the Hip) seems a little small/tight? compared to the Legs.
    I think it might would look different if its just a tad wider.

Greets

Nonsi

One Thousand Member AlmanacnamedTime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tag654 View Post
    Yea,I was thinking the same thing.I have the same problem everytime with foreshortening.Knowing which parts will be seen or not and sizes usually mess it up lol...

Oh and scarlet what did u mean when talking about the anatomy? Idc if it was something really small,id like to know almost anything u can visually see that's wrong so I may improve correctly
    use the posemaniacs or get someone to pose and take a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Liebe View Post
    I pegged you as a sadist, nyuck nyuck.
    My Story Thread

If you took the time to read this, you can just call me Al, or Stan.

Just because it hasn't really been mentioned; You shouldn't be afraid to draw the neck starting lower down "within" the chest. I think the reason why your 'hunched over' poses generally look weird is because of this. Not being able to see the top of the shoulders just makes everything look flat.

Perhaps you should practice just with some basic 3d shapes for a while, so you can learn to think in 3d?

Just some imput.

Its been awhile since ive posted here....but here is mymost recent work.Im trying to build up my confidence to draw my manga but I want to take some time to test myself and see if Im ready....Maybe I should ask for challenges or something? Lol IDK

Look at my deviantart to check and critique on what I might have there,as I dont post on here to often: kingfromhatena.deviantart.com

SPOILER! :

Ha he looks quite infuriated. An amusing concept though. Is it supposed to resemble or actually be Sasuke from Naruto?

Critique:
    -The composition is great but his proportions are somewhat odd to me. His arms seem too thin compared to the rest of his body and the hand that we can see is too small (although the way the black fire or energy was done I can't make out his hand well).
    -The clothing folds are unrealistic; in that pose, there would usually be folds around the elbow and wrist but not as many down the forearm or bicep. The coat also looks odd I think because it's flowing out and almost blowing in a direction but not quite.

Overall it's a very nice piece. Nice job

Hey Tag, welcome back. I'd like to echo what darkmousy said above. Definitely do a few studies on clothing folds from photos or with a table cloth or bed sheet tossed over a chair. It'll help after a while, I promise.

I looked through your DA page a little bit. One thing that just seems to glare at me is the lack of consistent perspective used. Your compositions are fairly interesting, however, the wacky perspective really is a draw back. Take the time when you're planning out your composition to put down a light horizon line. Maybe toss a couple vanishing points and guidelines going towards the vanishing point. I know it's not really fun, but it'll really help bring your drawings to the next level.

If you want a challenge, I'd say to take this last drawing and redo it, but this time put in a horizon line and use perspective. Or if you really want to challenge yourself, try imagining the same pose and composition, however, change the view point to be different. Using interesting perspective, like bird's eye or worm's eye views can add a whole lot of dynamic to a piece. If you don't understand perspective well, there's a lot of good tutorials out there that can help.

At any rate, sorry to brow beat that. You have some good ideas, keep putting them down on paper.

Ok thanks guys.And thanks Nisaren for pointing that out,I need that.I have a habit of doing things the same over again,like a subliminal pattern of doing things,so even if I think im doing something different it might not be.So yeah,If you see anything else,"repetitive" in my drawings let me know,because I honestly cant tell,even if I wanted to,lol.

And yeah,Thanks for the critiques.The piece above was my first time inking for real.I was trying to go for certain aspects,more than others.

Though,with trees,explosions,and like fire...I have no clue how the shading would look,so if someone could link me to something,Id greatly appreciate it.But yeah,folds is definitely something I haven't had the luck in learning easily.Oh,and yeah your right (Nisaren) a lot of times,I don't mess with perspective if I do front shots.I just add a background or such,to give it a fuller appearance.Though,my future drawing will be more involved with backgrounds because I cant draw them worth crap,and then I willl need the help of perspective.So yeah,ill practice up,and post again,hopefully better.
    Last edited by tag654; 02-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.

BOOp!

I dont have a scanner anymore so bear with the quality.

Though when inking(in this case with a regular pen) how do you go about doing explosions and fire?

and can someone give me insight on what they think about when doing backgrounds? When doing a background for my story,I know what itll have in it,but with a regular drawing,I have no real clue what kind of background to draw,nor am I even good with drawing backgrounds even if I did. :L

Im strong on characters and gestures,I suck at backgrounds-animals and creatures- detailing.