Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Artwork by spidergoth

Artwork by spidergoth

Hello everyoneÖso admittedly Iím rather intimidated here, but I do want to improve with my art so I shall suck up my anxiety and ask for some constructive criticism. I really need a lot of pointers when it comes to anatomy as Iím fonder of drawing faces but clearly thatís not going to cut it (I really want to improve on my anatomy!)

So for my story I intentionally wanted to challenge myself by making my protagonist a male because Iím terrible with drawing men and I need to improve plus I gave him spikey hair because well I suck at spikey hair. Oh and I really appreciate tips and pointers on how to draw hands and folds on clothing.

Clearly Iím going for the manga look in the first three pictures yet I donít want it to look too manga generic I sort of want it to be recognizably my own style so I suppose that takes time and practice.

Also Iíd like some pointers on portraits, as you can see from my last pic I also enjoy drawing those. That in particular is a self-portrait drawn nearly a year ago. So all in all I guess I want you guys to tell me what works and what doesnít work and how to improve with the manga drawings and the more realistic portraits ^_^ Thanks for your time.

Last edited by spidergoth; 02-29-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Sir-Mass-a-Lot
    Hey, don't be intimidated! We're all really cool here, especially since Synnworld and Luneder left. I really like the colored one on the bottom, your realism strikes me as fantastic! I would say, though, to focus on facial anatomy for a while, especially profile views. Great work, keep it up!

Thanks so much for the advice...grr I know I really hate profile views and tend to draw things usually straight on (cause its so much easier).
    And the self-portrait took me forever to do, I can't even say how long because I kept redrawing it erasing it (over the course of a couple months ^^; ) and even now looking at it I can tell there are some things off about it like the eyes don't quite match up. and the lips X__X lol and I spent so long trying to get those right

I will agree with Sylux. You're pretty good, however facial and body anatomy needs a little work. Keep practicing and posting on here and we will surely help. But don't be discouraged in trying body poses, cause here, we help no matter what you want to try (as long as we can)

Unfortunately my body anatomy is a little shakey however here goes my help.
    For the first pic, your arms seems unnaturally placed. I think it would look better if his right arm was more propped onto his knee rather than behind it and the left one might look better if it was laying beside him, however I don't know where you have it extending to right now.

in the second pic (profile), the ear is too small. you have a streatched ear and a normal ear extends between the top of the eye and the top of the lip/bottom of the nose. Streatching the ear only extends it further down.

The third one (the girl) looks like she has an overexagerated neck length. it would look better if you shorten them.

The fourth one you have a major problem with the arm tucked into his pocket, however the salution is simple and reason is common. Your elbow is too far from the body. I dunno about females but males tend to have an arm that pulls back more than out.
    http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/lo...background.jpg As in that pic, the hole between the arm and the body looks a little like an eye. In your pic, it seems like he actually is making a peter pan pose, which in that case, his wrist would be bent.

As for the self portrait, I try not to touch those if I don't know what you look like as I can give really bad advice and be hurtfull.

I am sorry if this is long and hard to take, however that's all the help I can give. I am sure that many more artists will come and help you far better than I can. And some people even like to do redlines. (I can't on this comp so I won't try). So I wish you the best of luck

Looks pretty decent and definitely better than my first art post here, so please keep posting! I don't have time right now to go into specifics for each picture but I'll try to answer your more general questions and concerns.

The best thing you can do to get better at hands and clothing folds is to simply study the real thing. There are also a few tutorials here on MT that might be able to help you out as well if you really need some guidance. Posemaniacs also has a nice hand tool that allows you to look at a 3D model of a hand from various angles which is nice for practice as well.

As for your style, I'd suggest not worrying about it. I think you'll find that as you practice and evolve as an artist you'll naturally move towards drawing what you like to see which becomes your "style". Too many people worry about looking unique at the beginning when they should be worrying about more basic things like - does this look correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Wellington View Post
    I will agree with Sylux. You're pretty good, however facial and body anatomy needs a little work. Keep practicing and posting on here and we will surely help. But don't be discouraged in trying body poses, cause here, we help no matter what you want to try (as long as we can)

Unfortunately my body anatomy is a little shakey however here goes my help.
    For the first pic, your arms seems unnaturally placed. I think it would look better if his right arm was more propped onto his knee rather than behind it and the left one might look better if it was laying beside him, however I don't know where you have it extending to right now.

in the second pic (profile), the ear is too small. you have a streatched ear and a normal ear extends between the top of the eye and the top of the lip/bottom of the nose. Streatching the ear only extends it further down.

The third one (the girl) looks like she has an overexagerated neck length. it would look better if you shorten them.

The fourth one you have a major problem with the arm tucked into his pocket, however the salution is simple and reason is common. Your elbow is too far from the body. I dunno about females but males tend to have an arm that pulls back more than out.
    http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/lo...background.jpg As in that pic, the hole between the arm and the body looks a little like an eye. In your pic, it seems like he actually is making a peter pan pose, which in that case, his wrist would be bent.

As for the self portrait, I try not to touch those if I don't know what you look like as I can give really bad advice and be hurtfull.

I am sorry if this is long and hard to take, however that's all the help I can give. I am sure that many more artists will come and help you far better than I can. And some people even like to do redlines. (I can't on this comp so I won't try). So I wish you the best of luck
    Well first I'll say thanks so much for going through all of them ^^;
    I do really need to work with the anatomy and I really appreciate you telling about the ear and neck lengths.

But with this feedback I think I'm going to be taking baby steps first. So I'm going to start with working on the face proportions like Sylux suggested and once I'm decent at that I'll try moving onto the body anatomy.

And I didn't even think of peter pan but now that you point it out wow...sorry about the wrist I really have no clue where to begin when it comes to hands

Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    Looks pretty decent and definitely better than my first art post here, so please keep posting! I don't have time right now to go into specifics for each picture but I'll try to answer your more general questions and concerns.

The best thing you can do to get better at hands and clothing folds is to simply study the real thing. There are also a few tutorials here on MT that might be able to help you out as well if you really need some guidance. Posemaniacs also has a nice hand tool that allows you to look at a 3D model of a hand from various angles which is nice for practice as well.

As for your style, I'd suggest not worrying about it. I think you'll find that as you practice and evolve as an artist you'll naturally move towards drawing what you like to see which becomes your "style". Too many people worry about looking unique at the beginning when they should be worrying about more basic things like - does this look correct.
    Actually good advice, I need to get basics down and thanks for the posemaniacs link...as awkward as a person I am I'm even worse at awkward posing ^^;

So I've developed a game plan:
    1. work on facial anatomy
    2. work on body anatomy and poses
    3. the dreaded hands
    4. clothing will come last
    I need baby steps or atleast I think its less overwhelming if I do it in steps. I promise ot work on it and get better and don't worry I don't take constructive criticism badly I actually appreciate it
    So I'm to be working on some face sketches from last night and I'll be doing some more today and get something up soon.

Okay here we go again (its okay if I double post right?) so Iíve been sketching and trying to work better on my heads/faces. I feel this should be easier have you guys critique one problematic area at a time.

Iím struggling heavily on profile (well I guess these things don't fix themselves over night) views , and I canít quite get the lower part of the face right in that view (chin, jaw, lips? Idk seems wrong) plus I want to work on my ears I wonder if anyone one has any tips for ears.

I drew two protagonist in my story by the way ^_^ also I did some quick coloring and I drew a chibi of my female lead idk if there are any sort of specific proportions that I should pay attention to when drawing a chibi character.

Sir-Mass-a-Lot
    Double posts are okay if you have new content to add after some time. I really love how you color things!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    Double posts are okay if you have new content to add after some time. I really love how you color things!
    Okay good to know and thanks though it comes of rather dull on the scanner -_-'

But here are some more... am I posting too much...I've just been drawing alot this weekend anyway its in color...well obviously.

Sir-Mass-a-Lot
    What kind of colored pencils do you use?