Thread: Shading

Shading

I've been looking at lots of the art here recently and wanted to point this out since we're a predominantly comic style-focused community, and shading might be undervalued a lot - pun intended! Seriously, you all should do it.

Quote from da Vinci: "Many are they who have a taste and love for drawing, but no talent; and this will be discernible in boys who are not diligent and never finish their drawings with shading."

Nothing's a better test of your depth perception, reasoning skills and muscular-visual coordination than a good shading exercise. If you try to do this and it doesn't come out looking right, you should work on it. Heck, I need lots of work on it.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I did the whole shading thing for a while, then I got board and went back to good ole lines. But I see what you're sayin'.

I mean, it's super hard but the rewards are huge. I had this recent discussion with my art teacher and he was like, "If you want to explore lines that's totally cool. But you do build an essential awareness of things once you learn to shade that you don't develop so much with lines."

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Shading is a crutch for me, actually, because I honestly don't know where to put the right line--though I could shade in a suggested line just fine. :/

Eh, it's a tradeoff I don't quite regret.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    I mean, it's super hard but the rewards are huge. I had this recent discussion with my art teacher and he was like, "If you want to explore lines that's totally cool. But you do build an essential awareness of things once you learn to shade that you don't develop so much with lines."
    I think this is so because shading forces you to think in terms of 3 dimensions. Most people tend to think in 2D when drawing but to become a better artist (or at least who can render reality more realistically), then mastery of shading is an imperative skill that must be mastered or at least not glossed over.