Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Winter/Holiday/Christmahanakwanzika thread

The Jewish celebration of God's blessing of eight days' worth of light from one day's worth of oil.

I thought that was Hanukah not Chanukah?

I'm Jewish, dude. I think I know how to spell my own holiday.

Chill man, forgive my ignorance.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    You said winter holiday which encompasses the Solstice
    Oh sorry I didn't know that's what those songs were about. I don't know much about the Solstice, other than it doesn't have very many original songs apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Oh sorry I didn't know that's what those songs were about. I don't know much about the Solstice, other than it doesn't have very many original songs apparently.
    Lol man it's not a real holiday, it's just a Lovecraftian joke hahaha

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman View Post
    I thought that was Hanukah not Chanukah?
    It's either, really. It's a transliteration of a Hebrew word and so there's no real 'correct' English spelling. My father's side of the family is Jewish and I was raised Jewish, and honestly I've seen it used alternatively by either end.

Part of the thing, I think, is the fact that the sounds involved in the correct proncunciation of the word don't quite have analogues in English, hence the Ch.

Basicaly, TL;DR: Transliterating Hebrew into English is wonky, but it's not quite the clusterfuck that Arabic transliteration is.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Baruchatall'a'la aru aru a'deli

I have never met anyone who celebrates Kwanzaa. Sure, I've seen it plenty of times in kid cartoons and movies, but never irl. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    It's either, really. It's a transliteration of a Hebrew word and so there's no real 'correct' English spelling. My father's side of the family is Jewish and I was raised Jewish, and honestly I've seen it used alternatively by either end.

Part of the thing, I think, is the fact that the sounds involved in the correct proncunciation of the word don't quite have analogues in English, hence the Ch.
    In linguistic terms, I believe it's a uvular fricative, a sound that doesn't exist in English, like you said. We have to compensate with the next nearest sound, which is "h", hence why we often write it as "Hanukah".

I'm looking forward to going home for Christmas and spending some quality time with family. Instead of excessive presents, we're planning on doing family activities like swimming, bowling, sledding, etc.
    I am so not typing anything interesting...