Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I decided to start drawing...

So I decided to start drawing...

Like the title says, I decided to start drawing. That's a little vague, but it is pretty much it.
    I have a friend who is studying art and he is sorta helping me out, and he is giving me some advices to follow.
    But that is pretty much it, and I need all the feedback I can get.
    So, I'd really appreciate if any of you would embark on this journey with me. (No pay, and we may lose some men on the way.)
    I'm currently studying anatomy to properly draw the human body, and the first step that he (and apparently his teacher too) had for me was just to draw my left hand (because I'm right handed) on different angles and poses and don't stop until it looks so real that nobody would believe that I draw it. So I started with it.
    This is my first page, it took about 20 minutes. (Don't mind the writing, is just some notes I do for myself after re-viewing my work days later.)
    (I haven't got a scanner, so all my pictures are taken with my celphone camera. I apologize for that.)

SPOILER! :

But, sometimes (almost very often) I get bored of drawing hands and I start drawing things like this.
    (Was my first time attempting to draw a face without any guidelines. Also I tried to make the second one as identical as possible, while giving her another facial expression. I know the body is very poorly drawn, I focused mainly on the face and hair.)

SPOILER! :

Was also my first time drawing with a ink pen, and the lines didn't came out really well.

I know it all needs a lot of improvement, but with patience, practice, and hopefuly your feedback, I'll improve myself.
    I'll try to apply every advice you give me, so I'm counting on your help! (No backsies now, you've already signed the contract.)

That's pretty much about it. I'll keep posting my drawings anytime I manage to get something done. (Colleage is sucking up mostly all of my time)
    But there's always some time for drawing ^^

Thank you all who took the time to read and criticize my work. I'd give you a cookie if I had any.

It's good you're starting with hands. They're a good thing to learn early, I think.

For better accuracy when drawing hands (or anything, for that matter), try blocking them in on your paper very lightly so you can see the form before you start laying down dark lines. Also, if a line on your paper doesn't quite match what you're seeing, don't erase, don't go back over it (this can become a very bad habit), but keep moving, then correct the mistake next time (assuming you're drawing multiple hands per page or per session; for pieces you intend to showcase, it's best to erase the mistakes early in the light blocking-in stage).

Eventually, you're going to want to shade them in with the side of your pencil rather than making lines with the tip, but you can probably hold off on that until you're more comfortable with the contours if you want. If you don't mind trying it out, just go for it. It might look bad, but that doesn't matter. It's practice. This should theoretically help you understand the forms better -- it's a painterly way to do things, but it works well in less messy mediums too.

-

On the inked picture, yeah, ink pens take a while to get used to. I'm not good with them, but the theory is that you're supposed to draw smooth, confident lines, quickly. That way you don't get wobbly, jittery lines.

You did better than you think, though. You drew each line cleanly without any petting (except for some bits of the hair, which I'll get to later), and that's commendable. On the downside, as you've noticed yourself, her body isn't very convincing (though I'd argue the clothes work well at the angle you drew them at, even if they're somewhat vague). Anime characters (girls, at least) tend to have very thin bodies compared to their heads, but rarely as small as that girl's. I like to use the proportions of a real-life child around nine to 12 for traditional anime girls -- their shoulders stick out past the width of their head, but not a lot. Like so:
    SPOILER! :

That's not set in stone for anime style, of course, but when in doubt, lightly draw a box to indicate the width of the shoulders first.

Onto the eyes. When you close your eyes, your lower lid doesn't move much. Your upper lid closes down over your eyeball. So...

In reality and in most art styles, the top picture is how it works. The bottom picture is how you've got it currently. It's an easy fix, though, and you generally only have to see it once before you get it down.

All right, hair now. I found it kinda odd that your lines were smooth everywhere but the hair, where lines are generally the smoothest. Draw hair with quick flicks of your pen to preserve the wispy feel of it. It's harder to get precise lines like that, but hair isn't very precise anyway. (I usually go in with a light pencil and block everything in first. Seeing a pattern here? Lots of light blocking really helps.)

As far as the rest of the face goes, try and keep the mouth placed where you could feasibly stick a jawbone and some teeth beneath it. This being anime style, what you have is actually fine given the style's distortions, but I think it's best to get into the habit of putting things in the right places most of the time.

-

After all that, here's a disclaimer: if what I say ever conflicts with something your friend's art teacher says, listen to the person who teaches art for a living. Ultimately, I know very little about art compared to someone who's gone through college to become an artist.

First of all, I want to thank you Matt for taking the time to read and to write your thoughts about my work.
    Second, I agree with everything you said. I'm still learning how to grab and use the pencil. I've been told that the pencil lines should be like the strokes of a paintbrush. There shouldn't be straight thick lines. So that's what I'm gonna practice.
    I think I'll lay down the inking for a while, at least until I get to make nice strokes with the pencil.

I'm still going with that hand thing for anatomy and perspective, so I guess is useless to keep posting pictures of that until I see an improvement on myself.
    Nevertheless, I had some free time yesterday and I tried to sketch some random guy's face. He left before I could finish so I had to improvise. Here's what I got.
    (I messed it up with the shading. I'm still very bad at it.) (He also had a kinda weird haircut)
    SPOILER! :

And I tried to make another schoolgirl tipe of anime character but this time trying to make the shoulders a bit wider. I think I made the same mistakes as before...
    Maybe I need to get back to using guidelines.
    SPOILER! :

Maybe I need to get back to using guidelines.
    I'm not sure you ever get to stop using guidelines. Once you've drawn something enough, you can probably draw it safely without guidelines, but that point hasn't even come for me yet. I use guidelines for almost everything, even eyes.

On the first picture: so long as you're referencing things from real life, it's good to learn how to draw exactly what you see rather than what you think is there. For example, you drew his eyes in the symbolic almond shape people usually default to when they haven't been trained in any way. Real eyes aren't so uniform.

I was gonna do a nose and mouth drawing, but my computer seems to want to become a wood stove and I'd rather it didn't, so I'm gonna hurry up and finish blabbing.

The nose is generally drawn with very few lines (I think you can indicate the insides of the nostrils with dark lines, and in some cases, the outsides). It's almost all different degrees of shading.

The mouth takes a bit to get used to, and I'm really in no position to instruct people on that bit. The best advice I can offer right now is to grab some references and tutorials and just draw like 20 mouths, lips and all (oh, and teeth, because those are kinda hard if you don't do them often).

I'll leave the anime girl for later. For now, I'm gonna see if I can fry eggs on my computer once I've turned it off.

Matt pretty much covered everything, I only have a few details to add that I noticed. As a rule of thumb, the eyes are usually "one eye length" apart, meaning, however big the eyes are, you should be able to fit another eye of the same size in between the two. This rule has always worked for me. Another thing to remember (although it may seem obvious) is that mostly all manga style is BASED on the facts of realism and anatomy. So, depending on what style you are going to be drawing in, not all the rules of anatomy and realism may apply, but its better to KNOW the rule and NOT have to apply it, then NOT know the rule in the first place. If I had realized this simple fact earlier in my drawing life I think it would have saved me a lot of heartache, while trying to understand how to draw in a desired style. I think you have a very good foundation though, and you should progress fairly quickly with practice. keep up the good work
    Last edited by NWAP; 03-03-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Yes, I read about that too. There are so many things that I'd like to be able to draw decently and I know so little that it kinda scares me to not know where to start. But I believe that the best thing to get right at the begining is anatomy and proportions. When I'm trying to draw a body, I always do that stickman figure first to get the proportions right. The problem is that I often draw that same stickman figure in a wrong way, so my entire drawing ends up being way out of proportion. But well, I guess practice makes it perfect. Thank you too for taking the time to check my work. I'll post some more stuff as soon as I have more to show.

(PD: I already posted this on the "Let's exercise" thread, but I might also show it to you here. I tried to get out of my comfort zone and tried to draw something different, but it ended up just being a sketch 'cause I don't quite know how to finish it :P )

SPOILER! :

(It was supposed to be a warrior finding a giant ogre in a cave.)

Oh, and Matt, how did the eggs came out?
    Last edited by Carvi; 03-03-2014 at 02:02 PM.

The warrior is very flat and noodley. His neck is extremely long and his arms and legs are different lengths. The leg stuck out backwards looks painfully twisted due the the foot being profile.

You need to keep in mind that in some poses, you can't see every part of the body. I didn't a super quick redline to demostrate (this is NOT totally accurate in anatomy, just a quick sketch)
    DSC_0102.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

think of drawin mango-style like drawin zombies. u cant rip apart flesh and show ppl's bones hangin out if u dont kno what the bones r and wot they luk like. gotta do tha basics first, lil homie.

Yes, actually, I spent quite some time with the ogre trying to get it right. The warrior was a last minute thought to it, and I never ended getting it right. It kinda frustrated me so I let him that way. Thanks for the pose with red line, it kinda helped me see where I got it wrong (Almost all of it lol). I'm trying to study proper anatomy but it'll take me a while after I see some results in my sketches. Anyways, I'll keep posting stuff when I have something worth seeing. I don't think I like having so many people watching the crap I draw :P
    And, of course, thank you for taking the time to stop by.
    Last edited by Carvi; 03-04-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Just remember that everyone on this site started out as a beginner. Here's proof:
    SPOILER! :

I for one know that my critique thread helped DRASTICALLY. Not only did it allow me to see from others' perspectives, before it also taught me to critique my own work correctly which is very important to an artist.

It's great that you're studying anatomy. Try breaking the body down and focusing on certain areas (like the torso, then arms, then legs, etc) for a little while each. Then you'll have an easier time combining them into a correct pose. I know that studying anatomy might seem like you don't get to draw any "fun" stuff, but you'll be so much happier when you are able to actually draw what's in your head. So good luck and keep at it and I can't wait to see more!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!