Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - Practice piece and update - 8-3-14

Wow... it's been a long time since I've posted here. The past spring/summer has been pretty hectic for me. I changed jobs/careers and for the past 6 months I've been trying to get a foothold on that. But now that I'm getting settled I figured I'd try to get back into doing some artwork. Here's a piece that I've been working on here and there for the past couple weeks. It started as a pencil sketch that I figured I'd try to color. Lots of work to do yet on it.

This next piece is something that I just started throwing together today. Kind of random shapes that started to coalesce into something.

Sorry for the large size D: Hold Cntl and use the mouse-wheel to zoom out and see the entire piece.
    Last edited by nisaren; 08-23-2013 at 11:35 PM.

I hate to spam my own thread but I did a bit of work yesterday and today and figured I'd post the progress. Any critiques and comments are most appreciated.

So pretty *__*

Dude these are really awesome i can learn a thing or two from you as am trying to venture into the concept art department myself. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff

Oh my goodness, so awesome!!! No critiques, sorry. Great work!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

I love the rendering on the mountains, but personally, I find it a little difficult to relate the middle-ground to the other elements at the moment.

The way it spreads out, I feel the middle-ground is flatter than everything else, as if the viewer were looking straight down onto it, rather than seeing it at an angle. In itself, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I feel it makes the far hills seem as if they rise up too suddenly; they're closer to us than the flat plain in the middle.

@Cloudy Thanks!

@alcoro Thanks for the comments. I really wanted to do stuff with concept art for a while, but now I think my mentality is closer to that of an illustrator. Doing concept art is all about the design and making the best use of your time. I'd rather not worry about how long I'm spending on a piece and try to make it as close to what I envision as possible.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out Feng Zhu's youtube tutorials. They're a treasure trove of information on everything related to concept art and being a concept artist. The videos helped me realize that I want to be an illustrator more than a concept artist.

@JJorgie Thank you!

@Gaff Thanks for the critique. I agree that the middle ground is flat. I've spent the vast majority of my time so far on the mountains and sky. I was planning on tackling the middle-ground next.

dude how the fuck did u do those wall of china things

@Sylux Just messed around with random brushes and that's what turned out. I used the lasso tool and a large soft brush set to 10% to lighten certain areas to make them appear behind other areas. That's about it. There wasn't really any process, it was just a discovery session.

----

Here's the latest version of the piece I've been working on. Still figuring out things and trying to get the picture to flow from background -> middle ground -> foreground but I think it's starting to come along. C&C welcome.

Looking good man! I did a quick red line and paint over somethings.

I think you can push the background further to create more depth by just lightning up the back. Give it more atmospheric perspective.

Also notice the rocks on the foreground looks a bit wonky. So I threw in a perspective grid . The peak that the character is standing on looks really confusing, its hard to tell apart the flat land and the rocky walls. The peak beside it, Im not sure if its suppose to be on an angle or its suppose to be parallel with the left peak. But I painted the top for it.

Also the area I mark with a question mark, its a bit hard to differentiate whats whats in that area. Part of it looks like clouds yet they look like sea...or mist.

Aside from those, its looking fantastic so far, love the way you did the city and the sky!