Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - new WIP - 4-7-14

@Shadowfade Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm probably going to leave the background less detailed than the characters so that should push them forward, plus they'll be lit up more which hopefully will separate them further.

--------

Here's another progress picture. I'm just refining and defining things. I spent an inordinate amount of time on the faces, but I'm finally somewhat satisfied with how they look.

Going to be adding color as well soon.

Last edited by nisaren; 09-18-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Wow, that is looking unimaginably good! Their faces look great, my only concern is that they look quite similar to one an other, and I love the way you painted the moon and the sword made from stars in the sky

Really really nice. The detail in there is super formidable...

Perhaps if I had to offer any critique, it's that the bottom of the trees in the far background probally could have done with actual trunks... It was probally just because of the grey, but at first I did think they were standing at the bottom of a rock canyon...

The faces... I'm not sure. Her eyes have quite a downward slope compared to his, so they are noticably a little differant. Maybe his chin could have been a tiny bit stronger? I dunno. I wouldn't really consider it worth changing either.

Keep up the good work anyhow. (*3*)

@Demonfyre Thanks for the comments. They probably look similar because I normally draw just girls... so the boys faces tend to be less masculine than they maybe should be. I'm fairly happy with how they turned out though.

@Regantor Thanks man. I added a few trunks to the trees in the background, hopefully that'll make it more obvious - but I think the color helps a lot as well. As I said to Demonfyre above... I normally draw women so I guess it affects the guys that I draw. D:

-------

Well here's the finish version.

Last edited by nisaren; 09-21-2012 at 11:54 PM.

really nice nis i like the wispy purple clouds. and your last edit, the faces do look more different now

Looks real good =) amazing that you manage to work on the same painting for such a long period of time.

Wow, the colouring looks fantastic! Nothing else for me to say really xD

@Shadowsfade Thanks! I'm glad I was able to differentiate them more.

@Rubisko Thank you. I probably would have moved on had it not been a commission. I felt a little more pressure to push the painting to a more polished level.

@Demonfyre Thanks

-----
    So I've been taking a break from all the painting and working on my figures and line art. Here's some sketches I did. I was fairly happy with the first one (which you may have seen already in the Practice thread) but not quite as happy with the others.

Here's my latest piece. Decided to work on some perspective. I was inspired by the latest video tutorial by Feng Zhu.

Good job on the figure drawing, just keep drawing and get that mileage!

Perspective isn't easy, there's a lot to think about and the way I see it all of it is just math. Actually, when I do perspective drawing I always keep a calculator by the side of my tablet. But that's just because I have the advantage of having studied math a lot, it's in no way required to understand the math behind linear perspective in order to use it. Linear perspective is based on a very simple observation that took hundreds of years to discover. All parallel lines converge at the same point.
    In extension, all lines parallel to the eye-level, the plane where the camera is positioned, converge on the horizon.
    This in spoiler tags became to much math-jibberish, please disregard if it doesn't make sense
    SPOILER! :
    So all parallel lines no matter their angle in relation to the eye-level must converge at the same point. And all lines in the subspace spanned by two such lines must converge on the same "false" horizon.

All this simply implies that what's above the eye-level we look at from below, and everything that's below the eye-level we look at from above.

Now, the third thing that's important to know is pretty obvious if you understood the jibberish I put in the spoiler, but if we look at for example a chessboard we have a 8x8 squares lined up. Now, the diagonals of every square is parallel (or orthogonal if you don't draw the diagonals with the same angle) which simply mean that they also converge at the same point (at the horizon if the board is positioned at a horizontal plane).
    This can be used to easily check where you should place the back of a square or rectangle.

Your perspective practice doesn't satisfy any of those criteria
    1. Parallel lines converge at different points, actually even on different horizons. I can easily count to five just by looking at it, there are probably a few more.
    2. There seems to be a "concentration of horizons" at the doorway at the end of the canal, so I'll assume that's about where the true horizon is supposed to be. In that case we shouldn't be able to see the top of the buttresses to the left of the canal because we are in fact looking up at them.
    3. The distances between the buttresses, the plates in the canal and the arches are not evenly spaced. This could be the case, but we humans are obsessed with symmetry; we wouldn't build a city that way and we most certainly don't think it looks right if it isn't.

A good practice, that I guess I should try more myself (I had some moments when I drew my last robot when I had to sit and just figure out where to put my VP's, want to minimize that time) is to take a photo and reverse engineer the perspective setup; locate all VP's and look for recurring observations.

By the way, I think the city is awesome from a design-perspective, just not from a perspective-perspective.

edit
    If anyone have read a lot of math and happened to read this as well, the way I think about perspective is just a mix of the basic stuff that applies to vectors in the R3 subspace, mixed with the idea of true measurements at the stationary point and R3->R2 transformations. If this doesn't make sense, don't worry. It's engineering math
    Last edited by Rubisko; 10-02-2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: just being an obnoxious know-it-all

Thank you for calling me out on my laziness. I understand perspective fairly well, however, the above drawing doesn't show that. But more importantly, as they say, only perfect practice makes perfect. I should have taken the time to be more precise, but I didn't. While I did have a vanishing point and horizon line indicated, for a majority of the lines I just eyeballed. I suppose I was more worried about the design than the actual preciseness of my perspective, in which case, this wouldn't really qualify as a perspective study. Thank you for the detailed post and hopefully this will help more people than just me.