Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - Practice piece and update - 8-3-14

I like it so far! I say try reworking the stomach area because it needs a little more curve to it.

@Afrobit Thanks for looking and commenting. I took another closer look at her stomach region and I think it looks much better now.

--------
    Still quite a bit more work to be done. My next goal is to fix up her hands and feet.

You're way beyond any advice I could give I'm jealous! The only thing that stands out to me at the wrinkles in her pants (the legs, not the top.) But I'm not very good with cloth myself...so not sure if I can be of much help.

I think it's looking gorgeous so far! Diggin' how well you did her hair! And the feet are starting to come together, too
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

the hands and feet would be an awesome next step!.. I also feel her hair is a bit more flat then it should be.. should see different depths in how the light hits the strands.. some reflected light and basic value concepts :P i also feel there could be a bit more contrast in your value.. use brighter tones to round things out and make them pop! The pants are awesome looking, and the anatomy is pretty good! Keep up the good work man

lookin good so far!
    but i would definitely love to see some more differentiation in light and shade.
    its always good to think of a light source from the start. practice shading basic geometric forms like cubes, sphere, cylinders, cones.
    it will really help ya^^ will love to see more from ya xD

What program/brush settings did you use for the hair? I must know. Also, great work on the shading, and it looks like you're not done yet so I really really want to see the finished product.

Commencing long detailed thoughts on your WIP because it looks cool >_>
    SPOILER! :
    It's hard to make good poses from your head and I don't claim to be any good at that either. But it's easier for someone else to look at the finished product and think about what happened, so I hope you find the following helpful...

Like you said, something about the arm on the left/her right arm looks a bit off. I'm getting a scrunched feel from it.

*goes off to make pose in the mirror. stares at self*

Okay, back. I think I know what it is - the angle of her upper right arm (arm on the left). The more she turns her left side towards you (side on her right), the more that upper right arm is going to form an acute angle to the ground (right now it's mostly a right angle). Also if she's grasping her other shoulder that high it would make sense for her arm to be lifted a bit from her body. I get the feeling that's what you wanted to do from the foreshortening.

Or, from the look of that higher collarbone - if she's scrunching her shoulder up like that, her opposite shoulder and arms (right side; her left) should be a lot lower to compensate. Bam, dynamic pose.

Alternatively you can just lengthen that arm a bit if her torso is facing you straight on for a more relaxed pose. Also, I found it impossible to do the pose without bending my knee a little and balancing on the ball of my foot (left leg; her right leg in the pic). So that might be something you want to keep in mind when you work on the structure of that foot. Hurray for counterpose!
    Last edited by Hamachi; 04-23-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Wow! Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate it.

@BlueDragon I'm glad you like it so far. I appreciate any observations regardless, so thanks for the input. I think the reason the folds in the pants stand out so much is because of the contrast. There's not as much contrast in the rest of the piece. I'm working on fixing that. Hopefully I'm starting to make some headway.

@Egoslip Thanks for looking and critting. I agree there isn't much contrast in the piece aside from a couple areas. I'm still fighting with it, but hopefully making progress. I added a bit to the hair but I've been having a rough time getting it to look how I want.

@Al Thanks for checking my thread out and commenting. I'm working on adding contrast as it's something that everyone points out to me.

@Hamachi Wow thanks for the detailed post. The pose I used was actually from posemaniacs which I know isn't the best resource for completely realistic poses. I probably also have altered the pose a little bit as well. It's been quite a while since I really did much art so this piece is kind of a getting back into the habit of drawing and painting again.

As far as the program/brush etc. - This painting has been completely done in Procreate which is an art app for the iPad. I used the Round Brush from the painting menu and about 70% or so opacity. If you have an iPad, I would highly recommend buying and using Procreate. It's very similar to a scaled down version of Photoshop. I also have a stylus that I purchased for about $13 which helps a lot with drawing on the iPad (drawing with my finger only just feels weird to me).

---
    So here's the latest version of the piece. It's getting there. I added more detail to the hair and torso, finished the hands and worked a little on the feet.. I'm still debating on coloring the piece.

Some rough character outfit concepts that I threw together.

Almost furthest right and far left are my faves. :3

The two in the middle. And is it just me or are their arms short?
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.