Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - new WIP - 4-7-14

@Maxx Thanks for looking and commenting. I would have responded sooner but I feel guilty bumping my thread with replies containing no art. :X Hopefully the finished image will look a bit more to your liking.

----

So I finally finished the painting that I have been working on for about 3 weeks. It's called "The Lotus Queen". There's definitely some perspective errors still present but I think it's time to move onto bigger and better things. I'm happy with how this piece came out and proud that I was able to stay with it long enough to get it to this point.

Link to a higher res version

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Ooh, I like how this turned out. The perspective looks pretty good, and I really, really like the background! My main critique, though, is that you have a clashing use of shading. Some parts look cel-shaded and have minimal use of value change (skin, chair), but other parts looks very 3-dimensional and soft-shaded (the dress and viewer's left hand). But yeah, that dress is phenomenal, especially the 3D look of the lace edges.

Wow, thats some sweet perspective there.
    Although I think her torso's a bit off. Not sure though...

I think that her knee isn't in the right place.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

@CF: Thanks for the crit. I suppose I could go back and work a little more on that now that I've had a break from it for a couple days.

@Sylux: It may be off, the perspective made it challenging to get that right. Not sure exactly how I could make it look better at the moment though.

@Gedeon: Hmm... it's tricky with the perspective, not the mention the fact that her left leg is supposed to be crossed over her right. Kind of a complex pose compared to what I normally do.

-----
    Since I feel bad about spamming replies without some art, here's the colored version of the practice painting I was doing before my last piece.

Aw man I love this picture so much! Especially her hair ribbon and just the clothes in general. Oh and her eyes! Well done sir well done, I have no real critiques since I can't really see anything wrong with it.

your thrown pic is awesome, however the flower bud looks a little off centered...

the other one is the same idea... awesome... this time it's the breast bow. that's bouncy when nothing else is....

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Ooh, the colors on this one are very, vey nice. But I see the same problem in this piece than the last one. I don't think the issue is isolated to skin itself--rather, it's that you just don't complete shading with light values. The skin and hair's shading in this image are very flat and hugs the (would-be) lineart of the figure. Now if you look at the clothing you'll notice that things are very 3-dimensional and shaded very, very well, especially around the bow and ruffles. As far as skin goes, I suggest Navate's skin tutorial to learn about the differences between shading dark (midtone value) and fair (light value) skin so you can learn how to balance the values to make things rounded with complete form, while still avoiding making look like everything's the same base value.

Wow, really nice!!!

You are obviously very, very good. Your last piece has few, if any flaws. It's a particular style I recognize from the throngs of manga artists on deviant who paint in a similar fashion. You could add more contrast to her skin if you fancy. You could also experiment with more variation in color, as in adding layers of subtle complementary colors that enhance the color you're looking to paint. An advanced technique certainly, but I think you're ready.