Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - Practice piece and update - 8-3-14

@Sylux and Ged Thanks for the opinions. Seems like the middle right will be the one I develop further.

The arms may not be perfect as it was just a quick painting to help me put down some ideas.

-----
    Here's a WIP of a mecha caracal. It's my first real attempt at doing mecha type stuff. It's a lot tougher than doing purely organic stuff. I find myself trying to visualize if what I'm drawing could actually function (or at least has the impression of being able to function), which is a real challenge.

Here's the initial sketch that I did from reference of a caracal.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    It has a very dark industrial feel to it that i like. the lines some how remind me of lord of the rings armour a bit.

@Psy Yeah, I was going for some more heavy industrial with pistons and such while trying to keep it a more futuristic looking. Definitely some Geiger influence in the piece as well.

-----
    I may go back through and fix some things, I like how it's started to look as I worked more. For a while in the beginning I was just grasping for ideas but I think I have a decent design starting to come out.

The lighting is a bit too evenly distributed, and its wrapping around the edges of the line a little too much, making the object look flat. Especially around the arms, and hands. I would be a lot better if you have one dedicated light source coming from one direction.

Like the objects behind her legs are fantastic, it look so 3D, however her upper torso not so much. Speaking of upper torso, It seems her head to chest is in one perspective, where else her other half is in another. Try to make that transition from her upper torso to the lower torso, more noticeable. And her arms are coming out in the wrong perspective aswell. It should be pointing outwards towards the viewer.

Aside from that, great design! C:

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    The issue here is that you used a very deep black to create the drop shadow underneath the mech, but you don't use that value anywhere else in the picture. So it makes the mech look like a cardboard cutout because the value range used in the mech is smaller than the value ranged used in the overall picture. Take the black from the drop shadow and apply it to places where there is a lot of shadow on the mech, and it should look better.

I think Cype explains it as good as it can be explained. Also kickass design. Although id expect a lot more detailed front legs....still looks pretty cool.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

@DHB Thanks for taking the time to C&C. I agree that the upper torso is lacking in many respects. There are a few things I like about it, but it definitely needs to be redone. I probably should have chosen more standard concept design poses before moving onto other poses. Originally this was going to be the pose I used for a larger composition which had the mecha sitting on a rock ledge overlooking a battle but that obviously doesn't translate well without the surroundings (and the drop shadow I put in).

@Cype I'll keep that in mind when I go back over it. The drop shadow was a last minute addition because I thought it looked rather odd just laying there in space with nothing to tie it to the ground. Thanks for the input!

@Ged Thanks for commenting. What do you mean by "a lot more detailed front legs"? I'm probably going to completely redo the upper torso/front legs anyhow to make them more in line with how the back legs look.

----
    Sorry no art update today. I've been completely distracted playing Diablo 3 for the past week... I don't know when I'll surface from that, but maybe I'll take a break at some point to get some painting in. :X

My sister asked me a make her some banners for the kids that she teaches. So here's what I've sent off to her. I'm pretty pleased overall with them, although I think the tiger and komodo dragon ones are my favorites by far.

Last edited by nisaren; 05-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.

I like the tiger

Cyborg caracal looks stunning and the Z in the komodo dragon banner is reminding me of Legend of Zelda :P sorry that i'm unable to contribute more in the way of a critique :/