Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - new WIP - 4-7-14

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    The lips look much better!
    This is looking really 3d now !
    I think you should be careful when you finish up the legs and feet because the leg with the cross on it looks like it splits into two at the shin with that dark shadown running down.

Fenn
    Your style is very eye-catching. Possible noob question: are you drawing these from scratch or scanning sketches? And are you using a tablet?

Also, on the magical girl, the only thing I pick up on is the nose looks like it is at a different angle than the rest of the face, like it's bent yo her left (our right). But that could be me.

@Scarletlight Thanks for looking and commenting. It's difficult to show shadows when there are two opposing light sources. I think it'll look better once I start to put colors in.

@Fenn I was also thinking the same thing about the face. I think some fixing needs to occur not only with the nose but the head and neck area is much darker than the skin elsewhere as well. As far as how I'm drawing. I am drawing from scratch. If you scan up the thread I have shown all of my process shots thus far so you can pretty much see how everything developed. Essentially, I am just painting in a semi-traditional sense with only a couple layers. I've been frustrated with the other processes that I've been using as they feel more tedious than artistic. Basically, I've just been using the method that the artist from www.idrawgirls.com uses. He has a ton of videos that demonstrate so if you're interested check it out. If you don't have or want photoshop, GIMP is actually a pretty good substitute for it and you should be able mimic the workflow fairly easily with it.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I think you're doing the multi-point light source very well. And as for the nose, since you're doing a shoujo style, you could eliminate the bridge altogether with a base shade and make a tiny highlighted bump in the middle for a nose. It actually works rather well.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    @Scarletlight Thanks for looking and commenting. It's difficult to show shadows when there are two opposing light sources. I think it'll look better once I start to put colors in.

@Fenn I was also thinking the same thing about the face. I think some fixing needs to occur not only with the nose but the head and neck area is much darker than the skin elsewhere as well. As far as how I'm drawing. I am drawing from scratch. If you scan up the thread I have shown all of my process shots thus far so you can pretty much see how everything developed. Essentially, I am just painting in a semi-traditional sense with only a couple layers. I've been frustrated with the other processes that I've been using as they feel more tedious than artistic. Basically, I've just been using the method that the artist from www.idrawgirls.com uses. He has a ton of videos that demonstrate so if you're interested check it out. If you don't have or want photoshop, GIMP is actually a pretty good substitute for it and you should be able mimic the workflow fairly easily with it.
    Nice stuff! And Celestial-Fox made a good suggestion.

@CF and Fenn Thanks for looking and the suggestions. I definitely appreciate the input.

----
    Changed the nose as was suggested, I think it looks much better. I believe I am close to being done with her. I just need to finish up the staff that she is holding and touch up a few parts like the skirt and shirt. Then I'm done with the value portion of the painting and I'm going to move onto color.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    It could use some darker shadows in some areas like beneath the flaps of the open shirt. Aside from that, the ankle on the right doesn't seem to taper correctly. The shin is curved forward too much, I think. But yeah, this is turning out great. Hopefully you'll also color it?

@CypressDahlia Yeah, I definitely plan on coloring it. I just wanted to practice and get the values down before I put the colors in. I attempted to fix pretty much everything you mentioned, not sure if it's completely accurate but it definitely looks better.

----
    Here's the latest version. C&C welcome as I still plan on making one last pass before I put down colors.

i feel like i saw that symbol in magic the

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    she must be a Quake fan.