Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - Practice piece and update - 8-3-14

Whoa it's been a while since I last updated. I've been drawing but most of it is either unfinished or wasn't going to see the light of day anyhow. XD

@LK Thanks, I was going for a more lean muscular look, maybe made him a little too lean.

---------

So I decided to work on painting with Photoshop more. Here's a value study that I've started working on. It's a little dark right now, but I figure it's better to start dark and lighten than the other way around. Also, photoshop did something strange when I saved the jpeg.... it looks a lot greener than it did before I saved. Maybe it's from the jpeg compression algorithm.

This was done from a screen capture taken from Fellowship of the Ring. I hope it's obvious which scene. D:

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Could use a bit more black here and there. I'd say, given the values you already have, adding blacks and highlights would complete the picture. The color scheme is already well established and the forms are pretty good.

@CypressDahlia Yeah... I think the problem was that I was using CYMK mode in Photoshop. I converted it back to RGB mode and it saved the colors correctly.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    That looks better.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Yup, that's much better! Btw, the rock wall doesn't really look like a rock wall. Just saying. If you really want this to pop, I'd make the surrounding background behind the orc(?) darker, put highlights on the wall at certain spots (to separate it from the rest) and put more darker shadows behind Frodo to make him stand out from the wall a bit more. Good stuff so far. Hope you stick around a bit longer this time.

* I'm forgetting my LOTR. correct me if I'm wrong.

@Rio Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I agree with you, I didn't really get around to defining much else other than Frodo's face. It's actually a Rock Troll in the picture from the Moria battle scene in Fellowship of the Ring.

Here's an updated version of the piece.

Still working on making that rock look convincing. I may need to get a little more adventurous in my brush selection to get the effect I want.

OOOoooOOO! Nice the troll looks almost the same as the one from the movie but (and i dont mean to sound like a jackass) but Frodos face looks a bit wonky. i think that the shading on his nose makes the nose look pretty big, but the eyes and the hair are stunning "w" There i hope im of some use to you!!!
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    That's some great improvement nisaren! It's looking much better already. Are you using custom brushes, default or did you get them somewhere?

@Gedeon Yeah, there's definitely some more work that needs to be done. I'm still figuring it out.

@Rio I'm just using the default brushes, mostly the chalk brush that comes with Photoshop.
    Last edited by nisaren; 05-26-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Here's an updated version of the piece. I worked quite a bit more on defining pretty much everything in the picture. I definitely spent the longest on Frodo's and the Rock Troll's face. I'm probably going to work on Frodo's hair next since I haven't touched it at all.