Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - Practice piece and update - 8-3-14

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Ooh, Chii brings up a good point about what you lack: color environment. Yellow highlights give off purple shadows, et cetera. Try this tutorial out on the skin as wel as part one of Navate's notes in my last comment. It should help out a lot.

Damn Nisaren! You've improved so much it's crazy! here's some more helpful tutorials for dynamic color. 1 and 2

@corastaur Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

@ Maxx Yeah, I noticed that problem with the scepter. I tried to fix it but I guess I didn't get it quite right yet. As for the bow, it is a bit too three dimensional compared to the rest of the body.

@ CF Thanks for the tutorials. I'll have to check them out. I really appreciate you posting here, I feel bad that I haven't been able to return the favor for you in your thread as much. Maybe when I see you slip up and make a mistake :X

@ Kaspar Thanks.

@ Darkmousyminion Thank you for the compliments. I'll see about doing more with color. I've been concentrating mostly on value and getting that right. I think after that, I get lost when it comes time to color.

@ Sparky Thanks man. It's nice to hear that other people see the improvement. Its less obvious when you're living through the daily toil. It's been a while since I reviewed color theory. Those tutorials held some interesting tidbits. Didn't really connect the whole warm light = cool shadows, cool light = warm shadows theory before.

----
    So I'm attempting to provide more contrast while painting skin, particularly on the face. Here's a portion of a picture that I've just started working on a couple days ago.

I think it looks better already. :X

Ahh i love the nose oAO

Cough...cough....hrm......Well the only thing that seem's wrong to me is the position of her neck and her head. It looks like (at least to me ) that her jaw line doesn't connect to the neck at all, but it might just be my and my glassless eyes -0w0-
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

I really like the way you draw! I just wanted to put that out there. I love the eyes, and the nose and her lips and oh man I also like what you did with the hand there so much love.

On another note... I do agree with ged on the neck :P it doesn't quite look like the jaw and neck connect underneath her hair. The only other thing thats throwing me off is I'm feeling like her left (our right) shoulder is a bit longer than her right... Also there's something about her breasts. She's a skinny character and I feel like her boobs end a bit too far down her chest. This could just be me, but maybe they could be perkier? is that the right word? Regardless I think the dudes expression is awesome! Can't wait to see it finished!

@ Gedeon Thanks for the crit. I was more focused on trying to draw and shade the face so I kind of slacked off on a few parts. I believe I've fixed it now though.

@ corastaur Thanks! I appreciate the crits. I totally hadn't noticed her behemoth of a left shoulder before. I think I've fixed most of what you mentioned in this update. As I mentioned to Ged above, I was mostly focused on trying to give her skin and face more volume.

---
    Here's the update. I *think* I've resolved most of the issues that were mentioned already. I also worked a bit more on her hair.

Oh, also, I found a nice site for hosting images on. www.imgur.com - very easy to use and you can upload larger images. Not sure if anyone else has tried it out or not.
    Last edited by nisaren; 11-21-2011 at 07:51 AM.

I am guessing that you will work on the boy in a bit, so I won't mention too much about him, however, the first thing I question myself about is the girl's right hand. I understand that it's supposed to be a motion, hence the two hands, however wouldn't the picture be taken when the hand is in one of those positions? so that would make the other one lighter than the main one, no? Just a currious question....

Now for critiquing -puts on glasses and tie- there is only one main issue I see with the girl and that's the width of the neck. I can't explain why, but it looks a little too thin, maybe it's because that shadow is so dark.. but that's just my opinion....

@Maxx Thanks for the critique. The shadow on her neck is rather dark, I can see how it would appear to be too thin. There's still a lot of work to be done on the piece.

------
    So I decided to do a family portrait of my sister, her husband and daughter. I'm hoping to have it printed and framed for a christmas present. I'm fairly happy with how it's turning out. Still a lot to do ><. Also I have a small update for the last piece I was working on.

Everything's cool.......still love that nose!!!!! But i have an issue with HER left hand.....it doesn't seem as if its grabbing her backpack........or is it still unfinished and i got the wrong idea?
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Dude, Nisaren. That drawing right there with the girl patting the guys head IMO is one of your best.

I really think you're doing a good thing with adding more contrast to faces, and I just love that boys expression. Really well done man!

As for a critique, I think the thumb on the right hand looks a tad bit short!