Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - new WIP - 4-7-14

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post

Yeah I know these last two weren't really anime/manga. I was on a realism kick for a bit.
    Only one of these two are actual realism, yes they both are representational, but so is anime and manga.

@The_shaman Ugh. I really should just go back and fix her nose. It still bugs me. But thanks for your input. Everyone has various ideas as to what realism, semi-realism, and anime/manga actually is. I view both of these pieces as being more towards realism rather than anime/manga. There is a lot of art that really blurs the line between the two. I'm assuming the picture of the girl is the one you wouldn't include in realism, but when I look at it the only part I see as simplified or stylized is her nose. I suppose that may place it as more semi-realism than realism. Either way, I wouldn't classify it as anime or manga per se, but let's not split hairs.

Hey Nisaren =)

Ok.. I was about to comment on anatomy, but after seeing the drawings of the blue-haired boy I think you're doing very good with anatomy.

Keep going ^^

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    No...no I don't remember you at all O_O, then again my memory is really bad.
    There's so many I'll just comment on the one that got my attention atm, which is the black and white one.
    That's pretty awesome, it looks simple, and yet has a bit of detail here and there with the subtle grays and stuff. It's also a pretty good contrast.
    Overall with most of your works here, they all seem p. nice. I'd touch up on anatomy and facial structure a bit, cause it seems to vary depending on what you're drawing...you got a good variety of stuff here :]

@Yara Thanks. I've been working hard on anatomy for a long time. I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there.

@Gunzet That's ok, I suppose I wasn't here a whole lot before so it's not surprising that people don't remember. Thanks for the critique. Faces have always been tough for me but I've been working pretty hard at them. I believe I'm getting a lot better and they're starting to feel a lot more natural to me. Hopefully you'll agree.

------

Here's my latest creation. It was another request from a DA member. C&C much appreciated.

Nice coloring.
    LOVE the boots/flip-flops

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    Woah, impressive. How much time did this piece take to finish?

Not that much to crit except, I dunno, her left shoulder seems a tad too low for me but then again that's just me and the perspective check was probably done, so yeah, could be just my personal pref. Her hair is so thick and long, I think perhaps it should show a little on the right side of her neck/chin opening there. Also with light that harsh (dark, dark, dark shadows) perhaps a lighter brown tints on her lovely hair to show the shiny, the glossy and the volume.

I especially like how you coloured her kimono and the patterned details you've added. Her obi has my love.

She looks like she wants a nap (come here and nap with auntie Lady K) XD

@Hell_Baron Thanks ^^ I'm glad you like them.

@Lady K Thanks for looking and taking the time to critique. I just kind of eyeballed the perspective so it could very well be that I over exaggerated on the shoulder. I did spend a lot of time on it - I think around 10-12 hours total over a week to get everything done. So with it taking that long I must say that I got a little anxious to be done with it, since the hair was the last thing I did I kind of got lazy. I had thought about putting the hair on the right side of her neck and kind of forgot. I should probably go back and edit it. ^^;

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Very, very nice, though a few things to work on:

1.) Your anatomy in some places is extremely streamlined and needs to have more volume and specific curves to show where muscle masses and bones would be. For example, the sinews on either side of the neck should at least be visible, to some degree. Just put a little shadow there and it resolves the issue. The kneecaps are such places. Some stronger shading indicating the knees would help give the legs more depth. Her cheeks could use some soft shading, otherwise it suggests that she has a perfectly flat face (since the lighting is even). The back of her calves could use a little more curve, to suggest the calf muscles.

2.) The feet are different sizes. I know this is partly due to perspective, but considering the front foot is turned completely toward the viewer, the foreshortening should still make it appear shorter than the other foot, which we're seeing at its full length.

3.) Your clothing folds are made primarily of lines. That is not a good practice. The way fabric acts in real life is actually pretty complex and creates a lot of bulk. The clothes here are far too free of wrinkles and the wrinkles you have drawn are extremely sharp and simple. Keep in mind that there are many types of folds, and many ways that fabric is affected by physics. If you just use lines, it seems like the clothes are only being stretched.

@CypressDahlia Thank you very much for looking and taking the time to crit. I think after looking at a piece for so long some things just seem to elude me and some of the other areas I'll admit that I was just plain lazy. I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm always torn between trying to go back and fix a piece or move on to new things. It probably would benefit me more to just make the extra effort to fix it.

----

Here's quick exploratory sketch that I just did. Ideas, comments and crits are welcome as always.

DaggerTribal Sketch

In case you are wondering, the request made was a nurse OC with a rice pet. The style is not what I've done in the past. I'm experimenting a bit and hoping I can find something I like even more.