Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - new WIP - 4-7-14

@LK Thanks I was annoyed that we randomly got snow in April here, so I was originally going to draw her being cold in the snow, but then I got lazy and never put in the snow. XD

@Matt Thank you for the warning. Right now, I'm more interested in just getting myself to draw each day. Only producing finished pieces was getting rather tedious, in addition, to getting in the way of allowing me to experiment more and improve. I've found that most of my creativity seems to occur within the first 15 minutes of a drawing. So I want to capitalize on that.

----

Here's some random sketches of varying quality. Not terribly happy with all of them, but we all have our good and bad art days.

I like the dragon doors concept. Really Narnia-ish feel to it, and the attention to detail is really nice. In the second picture, though, the girl's stride seems too big to me. People generally take small steps when they're carrying tray-like objects. Otherwise, stuff like the fourth picture happens.

Of course, this could be countered with that character always taking huge strides, so take my critique loosely.

WELL HERES AN UNWANTED CRITIQUE FROM A SOMEWHAT GOOD ARTIST(me) TO A GREAT ARTIST (Nisaren)! ...again......
    First ill start with saying that ......quite simply.......you rule...and now for trash-talking! >........too bad theres not so much to trash on -_-' Firstly the Closet piece look great with all the details and the perspective,im only thinking that the girls perspective and the closets are not aligned in terms of viewing them from a height, if you would only fix the feet that look like we're viewing them from a normal-up front perspective i think it would look better( If thats even posible cuz i simply love the detail on the upper part of the closet) And again i think that the last girls legs are a bit too long but you already said that this was the matter of preference so ill shut up about that ^-^ !!!! all in all

great work!!!!
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

@Matt You're probably right about the stride. I wasn't really thinking about it when I was sketching.

@Gedeon Gah! You're completely right. I wasn't even thinking about perspective when I sketched the girl. That will be something I need to fix when I come back to this picture. Thanks for catching it.

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    I heart the girl in peach colour.

How do you do your colouring? What program did you use? How did you colour the bg without touching the char's colouring? What equipment (tablet) do you use? *sry for the avalance of questions but I am curious. ^^" *

@LK Thanks. For all of these I've used Paint Tool SAI with a Wacom Intuos 4 small tablet. As for the background, I just used a textured brush on a layer under my line art and color layers. As for how I colored the piece... I basically just painted it all on one layer since I'm trying to be faster and looser with everything. I know that's not a great description, but I only really used the default brush in SAI with varying Density. It's really pretty simple overall.

Most of your drawings are done in pencil right? Do you use a tablet at all?

Yeah, I use a Wacom Bamboo that I got about two years ago and I love it! I'd be lost without my bamboo. I use to do digital art with a mouse. It was a painful experience.

I'm using a 6 yr old laptop with only 2 usb and a faulty keyboard, so it's a hassle to unplug/plug stuff everytime I want to draw, so for quickies (like when I want to sketch out an idea) I usually use pencil and paper. For the serious detail/colour work though, I usually use the Bamboo.

Still, posting pencil stuff online is a hassle as I'd have to lug out this relic from the late 90's to scan the stuff. So I usually take the opportunity to use the speedy sleek scanner at work but that's really rare as my pencil work is at home.

Ideally I would like [pencil sketch -> scan -> digital clean up / line art / colour] but usually now it's [pencil sketch -> replicate pencil sketch in photoshop -> digital clean up / line art / colour]. Honestly, pencil stuff just looks way better to me.

@LK Ah, cool. I understand about the old computer bit. The desktop that I have is an ancient relic from when I went to professional college... about 8 years old or so now. D: It still works fairly well, but my old CRT monitor is getting really annoying. The colors just aren't quite right. Hopefully I'll have a new computer by the time the year is out.

----

Here's a few more colored sketches. I've gotta get back into my groove again. Feeling a bit distracted when I'm doing these pieces.

Last edited by nisaren; 04-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.

8 yrs? Donate it to the local museum and get a new one! Wacom Intuos 4 small tablet? It's a good tablet in my opinion. Not the best but still good. Very durable. I know cuz it's the 1st tablet I used. Borrowed it from a friend who wasn't using it.

Since the Bruneian government cancelled the custom duty fee on computer and bicycle parts just 1st April (go figure, our government wants us to become more technology savvy AND keep healthy by riding bikes. Talk about wishful thinking.) So I'm thinking of getting a new desktop myself. Something with a 20 inch monitor would be good, easy on the eyes.

I like how you dressed the 1st girl. Very fashionable. The bag is nicely designed and I really like how you draw hands. Envies envies envies.

The 2nd girl, hmm, something is wrong with her hips and legs. If you skele-figure it out, her hips just don't align with how the legs are moving in the picture.

The last pic of Erin, why is she reading in the dark anyway? And on the floor? creepy. Her feet needs a bit more work (I know, I know, feet isn't my forte either) and the drawers doesn't line up right with the bed. Small details, I know. Overall the feel of the pic is scary fun.

I think that last picture is absolutely awesome. . . . Actually, I was gonna elaborate on what I liked, but it could just boil down to a great concept. So I'll leave it at that.