Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - Practice piece and update - 8-3-14

Thank you all for your input. There's definitely much to be done. Both of you confirmed that there is a lot that I need to fix to allow easy understanding. Perhaps, I am trying to do too much too quickly. Either way, this is just a rough first draft. There will be many revisions I am sure.

Edit: In re-reading the post I did want to clarify one thing. The girl is the same person in each panel. The first panel has a close up of her overlaying a distance shot of her. It's not two different people. It's not clear because it's a rough draft and I didn't spend time trying to make things perfect. I just wanted to get a basic concept down. In the finished draft it'll hopefully be obvious.

I plan on adding a couple other sound effects and maybe a little more dialogue to make things clearer. If that doesn't help then... maybe it'll just be back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by nisaren; 07-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.

So I'm still working on the comic. I've sketched about 5 pages out already and it's starting to go a bit quicker. As a break from that though, I went back to doing a little color experimentation. I started this piece out with just blues and purples and slowly added some other hues to it, like yellow and a little red. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

SPOILER! :

Edit: Here's the final version. Tweaked and added a lot of stuff.

Last edited by nisaren; 07-30-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Hmm... well here's a rough sketch of a panel from the comic that I started working on a while ago. It's a bit of a tricky one for me since it's supposed to be in 5 point perspective. I'm fairly pleased with how it's going but I know there's some stuff that needs to be fixed up on the anatomy. Mainly the fact that it doesn't seem to be affected by the perspective enough. I have a couple ideas as to how to fix it, but suggestions are always welcome.

it kinda looks like your viewing the scene through a curved lens. if that's what you were going for, then the only thing i can think of is to make it clear that it's a lens that the viewer is percieving it through
    if not, then i'm not h=sure how to fix it. 3 point is as far as i've ever gone with perspective :s

I have no clue where to begin with 5 point perspective so I'm afraid I cant really help. The panel looks good though, but i agree the anatomy doesnt seem to be as affected. My only possible suggestion (and again, as I don't know anything about 5 point perspective this could be completely wrong o.O) but most things in the panel seem to bulge out in the middle, then go in at the top and bottom, so maybe you could make the bottom of the legs/feet a bit thinner, and the middle of the characters a bit wider?

I really like your finished version of the painting, the necklace and the eyes are gorgeous

@WhenRabbitsAttack - Yeah it's supposed to look like it's through a fish-eye lens. I didn't want the effect to be too distorted though. So I'm glad that you noticed that.

@Shadowsfade - Yeah, I think I have a couple ideas to make it work better. I agree that the legs/feet need to be smaller and I think that there should be more of a general curvature throughout the pose.

--------

Here's a slightly updated version of the piece. I've also included the perspective grid that I created to help me. In case you are wondering - I am missing grid lines going towards the fifth vanishing point which is the very center of the drawing.

Decided to do a little painting as a diversion.

That looks great Nisaren! Your painting skills are brilliant, how you are able to fit a detailed face in the middle of the smoke like that I cannot comprehend. The only thing I can see is that on the left side of the smoke monster (I presume) the smoke plumes become heavy at the top and they just don't flow or look as nice as the plumes extending on the right side. Hope this helps

Awesome rocks dude! But don't just put important stuff in the center of the piece for no reason (or any reason maybe), think about the rule of thirds and all that other composition stuff

@Demonfyre Thanks for looking and commenting. I considered changing it, but I kind of like the way it looks. It's supposed to be a kind of black flame surrounding the dragon actually and not just smoke.

@Rubisko Solid advice, thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I admit that I didn't really plan this painting out at all. It was more of a spur of the moment thing.

-----

No new art to post at the moment. Working on some thumbnails to do a promo piece for the one shot comic that I've been working on. Oh, and btw I'm not sure if anyone has checked out www.anipan.com yet but if you haven't I suggest doing so. It seems like its going to be pretty nice. The open beta just began yesterday and they're still rolling out new features.

Here's my profile in case you feel like joining and want a familiar face.