Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - new WIP - 4-7-14

Sketch dump - a bunch that I did over the past few days. It feels good to sketch rather than to just try to finish a piece every time. I'm trying to change my drawing style again so excuse the roughness.

C&C always appreciated.

I have taken to posting daily sketches on my art blog, http://nisaren.tumblr.com/. I've been updating that a bit more often than this thread or even my DA page. There's not much up there that I haven't posted here already. But if you care to see daily pictures, I've challenged myself to post at least a few sketches each day.
    Last edited by nisaren; 03-28-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I'm liking these sketches, especially the figures. I see the anatomy is working out alright, and the poses are good too.
    But they're sketches so I won't say much, the poses at the bottom are a bit odd but nicely dynamic without perspective overkill lol.
    Hope the style venture works out.

The last three sketches were just figure practice from photo reference that I found at www.characterdesigns.com. They were a bit weird but fun to draw.

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    The folds on the clothes looks good to me. I like how the chars looks natural and relaxed. Simple. The 1 head that was coloured, I love it! I would kill to colour like that. I can...colour...I mean, not kill, but just didn't have enough time AKA motivation to practice. *sigh*

Anyway, keep up the good practice. Gambatte ne? ^_^

@LK: Thank you I'm trying to get back into practicing more. It appears the only way I can really get anything done is by making myself wake up a little earlier than I normally do and sketch for a bit each morning before heading out to work.

----

Here's another dump of the sketches that I've been posting on my sketch blog. All were done from photo ref. C&C is much appreciated.

...yeah, super duper cute ^^ I really like your way of drawing it's just so feminine (I can't draw girls T_T) my little sister has a similar style but she just started to draw

I think only the first pose in this sketch set is kinda manly, but I love the 5th and 6th, they are so adorable

well ill try and but in with you profesionls and try and help! Not that you need much help....but still..... I only think that the girl that you drew with the brown outlins on her legs has a bit too long legs. if you compare her legs with her torso they are almost as twice as the torso is. other then that your anatomy is flawless.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

@Nerdonoff: Thanks for looking. The first sketch in this last set was supposed to be a lady captain's long coat, so it was kind of hard to make her not look at least a little more masculine. I wasn't super happy with how it came out, but meh, it's just a sketch.

@Gedeon: Thank you for the crit. I suppose it's a matter of preference, generally legs make up half the body's height. However, making the legs a little longer can accentuate the character. It may be not be perfect but I didn't find it so off that it made her look oddly.

----
    Since I didn't want to just respond without any drawings to show for it. Here's a couple colored pieces I recently put up on my sketch blog.

Just so everyone can see that I can and do draw masculine things... (I'm a guy D: D: ) And now back to standard fare.

Yeah, her feet are off. I didn't really have a plan when I started drawing her. Both of these weren't done with any reference as you can probably tell.

101 Dalmations Member Lady_Knife's Avatar
    Haha, yes, nothing more masculine than a smouldering dragon. In chinese culture the dragon always represents the emperor and the empress is represented by the pheonix.

I agree the feet are a bit odd but I feel it contributes to the overall awkward feeling the character seems to be in. Nice work with the colouring and shading. I like it a it is, so no crit frm me.

I just went through your thread.

In posts #41 and 45, you're right that being sketchy takes the pressure off finishing a piece. But be careful not to fall into the trap of sketchiness. I decided, 3 years ago, that I liked sketching, and since then, my ratio of finished pieces to sketches has been horrible. This is probably just my own thing, but I'll warn you about it just in case.

You can actually do clothes! And figures. And poses. Properly! The clothes work with the bodies and look natural (more than I can say for my stuff). I know you're using reference for a lot of that stuff, but it's good all the same.

**Sorry I can't give a really good critique like you do for me. I can critique writing, but not art. I've always been like that.