Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisaren's Art - Practice piece and update - 8-3-14

@Shadowsfade Thank you! I'll see what else I can cook up. If you want to see how a master does this stuff I highly recommend you looking at the videos done by Feng Zhu (can see them on his site http://www.fzdschool.com in the free tutorial section).

@Rubisko Thank you for looking and commenting. I agree that it needs a little fixing. I think I managed to do so with the updated version below.

@theAnimeRebel Thanks for the comments. I agree that the bridge and arch do run together. Hopefully I managed to start to fix that in the updated version below. I also spent more time on the clouds and sky.

-----
    So originally I wasn't really going to work more on this piece but I decided to see where I could take it. I added a lot more details.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    It's good in terms of atmospheric perspective and the color balance is pretty good. I think what you need now though is to work on textures. establishing different surfaces and materials is important to making an environment believable because no one place is composed entirely of one type of material. Now you have this environment but it looks like everything is made of this rigid sheet-rock.

@ Cype Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll keep that in mind for when I come back to this piece and in the future. I should probably just find some decent textures to overlay. I'm just afraid of copyright issues when downloading from the internet and I don't really have a good camera to take photos of some... unless you count an iPhone camera. XD

-------
    Here's a couple other practice pieces. A very rough painting of a shipwreck and back to some facial painting work.

wow both are really nice, I like the green you used for the shipwreck, gives it a nice dramatic atmosphere. From what I see, it's been shipwrecked on the rocks to the side, but I feel like the ship is kinda too upright for a shipwreck - not all shipwrecks are titanic-like, sticking with the front up in the air, but I think even subtler ones the ship would be tilted slightly to the side, as the holes in the side of it etc would make it unbalanced.

Nice work on the face too, I think the end of the nose seems a little small in comparison with the eyes, but that might be more stylistic so you can ignore if you want hehe

Well since both of the pics are quite...'raw'i cant say anything but if i had to nitpick..it would be the lack of detail...but since you said its just practice......its useless...
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

@Shadowsfade Thanks for your comments. I was using a process where I just paint random shapes until I see something that I want to flesh out. There's a lot of work that I need to do on that picture to make it look good. When I come back to it, I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

@Gedeon Lol, it's not useless to comment or critique. I was more hoping for general crits since it's easier to fix things at an early stage rather than after all the details are in.

----

Here's an update of the face practice painting. Update: I spoilered this morning's version so you don't have image spam on this page, but I decided to include it so people could compare versions.

SPOILER! :

Second update!
    Last edited by nisaren; 07-03-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Well.. i think that the biceps is too short and shoulders too broad/wide. Love the face love the hair and the shading on the jacket.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

This is cool. Her arms seem far too small for the body, though, and a bit on the thin side. Her one shoulder on the outside seems a little short, too, perhaps. I think your shading and blending is really just beautiful. I'm fairly impressed.

I would like to see some more expression in her eyes, or mouth. Her body just looks like she should be looking straightforward or something. I'm not sure. Anyway, I think this is really just amazing, and I really can't wait to see the rest of this. Do you plan on coloring it?

@Gedeon Yeah, I agree the shoulders are looking a bit broad. I think I've fixed them, but I don't think I can force myself to redo the arms since I did all that shading for the jacket.

@Sunny Thank you so much for looking and commenting. I agree the arms and shoulders are a bit out of proportion. I also agree that I need more emotion in the facial expressions. I know I can do it, I just get lazy about it. I don't plan on coloring it for now, but I may come back to it in the future and try.

----
    Here's the final update for now - I may come back to it in the future.

Some crappy iPhone pictures of pencil sketches from my sketchbook.

Spoilered because the pictures are big. D:
    SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :
    Last edited by nisaren; 07-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.